• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Im new here! Here is a pic of my build.

Hello all, I have been looking for a 308 forum and ar15.com aint that great for the 308's so I googled it and here I am!

Heres a couple pics of my first 308, I built it myself over time as I could afford a part here and there.

Its ready to go to the smith for finishing touches, such as torque the barrel down and install a stud and forward assist and port cover, and perm attach the brake, then I'm gonna do barrel break in.

I'm still not sure what scope to go with yet though?!?!?

Its DPMS all the way with SASS barrel and JP brake.

Had it camo dipped for a cool paintjob.

216045_195763680464663_100000930987719_457483_7129210_n.jpg

253242_226830544024643_100000930987719_612216_3797903_n.jpg

post-1001-136297267723_thumb.jpg

post-1001-136297267731_thumb.jpg

IDK if I'll hunt with it or what I'll hunt with it, could use it for deer here in NY and that would be so much diffrent than a 30-30 , some time i wanna go south and shoot pigs i hunt coyotes too here in NY/PA but i think this may be a bit much for that.

I had it dipped at a place called tarjac in waterloo, NY i drove there and it was dipped piece by piece not assembled which i do not rec comend, i say paint then assemble.

Thanks!

U can never have to much fun for a coyote or pig... the way I see it if you use a big caliber you pretty much leave where they stand when you shoot em. That's why I got my 7.62 dpms. For not having to chase the little creatures 100 yards from where we shot them. Tell you a story I popped one coyote at (we guessed it) 350 yards with my buddies 204ruger.  We had to Chase him down for a while.

Nope, its 18'', the DMPS SASS barrel

Brake has to be permanently attached to comply with the dumb ass NY laws.

We also cant have colapisable or folding stocks, flash hiders, bayo lugs, fore grips, or mags that hold more than 10!

If I ever got pulled over and had this with me I do not want them to have any reason to try and take it, its totally legal!

I do have 2 AR-15 lowers sitting around waiting to be build and I'd like to build them as twin M-Forgery carbine types since I already have a rifle type, but thats risky, but I really would like to have adjustable stock so wifey can shoot more easily.

Yes it is the bennie cooley one, (not sure who they are?)

this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=231940

I am aware that it will be louder, and I am honestly a bit concerned about that if I hunt with it because of course I don't wear earplugs hunting but I do of course while just shooting.

Speaking of, I want to upgrade to muffs instead of the pod plugs I get from work sometime but plugs have worked well and served their purpose well, so hopefully they are still enough for now.

• 4 months later...

You will definitely want to wear hearing protection with that brake.  I have the DPMS Miculek brake on my SASS & one day I forgot to put plugs in, my ears were ringing for the rest of the day.  I have had my ears rung before, but this was the worst. 

If you are thinking of getting muffs, look at the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs.  They are low profile & they are electronic.  $50 on amazon.

• 2 months later...

Nope, its 18'', the DMPS SASS barrel

Brake has to be permanently attached to comply with the dumb ass NY laws.

We also cant have colapisable or folding stocks, flash hiders, bayo lugs, fore grips, or mags that hold more than 10!

If I ever got pulled over and had this with me I do not want them to have any reason to try and take it, its totally legal!

I do have 2 AR-15 lowers sitting around waiting to be build and I'd like to build them as twin M-Forgery carbine types since I already have a rifle type, but thats risky, but I really would like to have adjustable stock so wifey can shoot more easily.

I also live in NY and you CAN have a vertical foregrip and you can have mags that hold more than 10 rounds as long as they are preban. Preban  Knight SR-25 mags will work in your rifle.. but they'll run you over $100 each IF you can find them!

I use double ear protection to try and retain what little hearing I have left.  Earmuff headset on the outside.  You may find that the reusable earplugs that fit into the ear (that I wear under the big ones) and have a tiny cartridge in them that allows normal speech and closes with the pressure pulse of a shot would work in hunting and be enough.  They are cheap.  Hearing loss is from each and every shot's sound pulse;  is cumulative;  is permanent.  I bought/buy my little plugs at Academy,  chain sporting goods in several states.  Don't know about where you are.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had my DPMS LR 308 for bout a year now. It took a little getting used to for me, as far as carrying it. Once I got the one point sling set-up, I love it. Mine can shoot a group at 100yds , I can cover with a dime. I love this rifle. Recoil is nothing like my savage bolt 308, I got a Kruger TacDriver IR 1.5x 5 x on it and its good for 200 yds for me. Yotes get the 147 FMJ. I use 150 gr PP for deer and hogs. I just did a camo job on it myself, and I'll put the p <munch>ic on the site later.