• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

7.62 ammo in a DPMS 308 barrel

• 1 month later...

two weekends ago I carried a new build LR-308 (heavy (new) 24" S.S. .308 bbl cut back to 20" and profiled for an OPS Inc 3rd Model Suppressor, running a JP Ent. adjustable gas block).  Thought I'd use surplus to get it on paper.  Nope, that didnt work!  First round didnt go off.  Had to tap the charging  handle back to extract the unfired round.  Locked up tight!  Primer had the slightest dimple in it.  Tried a second round (without much thought), same problem. My .308 chamber is too tight to feed surplus ammo.

Shoots fine with Fed. 168gr. Gold Medal Match.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the underside of your barrel, it should say 7.62x51.  From the FAQ on DPMS' website, supposedly they chamber their LR308s in 7.62 and their AR-15s in 5.56.  Unless it was built by someone else then it should be good to go.

It depends on the models..... The LR 308 and LR 308B are typically a 308 barrel, since they assume you are using these for accuracy

My LR308 is chambered in 308.

I have shot 150 gr 7.62 x 51 surplus with no problems, but they are not as accurate as that Sierra 168 gr BTHP. That is one accurate round.

agreed, the barrel likes a heavier bullet, like the 168. By default, the surplus will shoot worse groups. I am wondering what specific surplus 7.62 ammo you used in your gun, that you had success with??

Not to mention that DPMS is notorious for having rough chambers in there bbl's..

This could also be why they won't chamber NATO ammo, there truly is not much difference in chambers dimensions , being the 762x51 chamber being a little longer .

Some say its for variances in manufactured NATO ammo , I believe its more in the line of firing a lot of ammo in between cleaning, being in combat , ya just can't go home & clean it after range time .

Extra room for powder residue.

agreed, the barrel likes a heavier bullet, like the 168. By default, the surplus will shoot worse groups. I am wondering what specific surplus 7.62 ammo you used in your gun, that you had success with??

I am using Lake City M80 (147 gr) as my main plinking round. Shoots about 2" groups at 100 for me.

I have also shot DAG, but not many rounds of it.

As far as Jlbell's not firing, I also installed a Geissele SSA trigger group in my LR308. I believe the hammer hits the pin harder...different spring and lighter hammer.... maybe that's why he had fire problems.  <dontknow>

I shot a few of the DAG Sunday to see how they grouped. They actually grouped better than I thought they would. 5 shot group at 100 yds sub moa.

Interesting.

I may have to try some rounds of the DAG to see how it fairs in my 308B.

BTW, what software did you use to do the group calculations?? PC or Smartphone based??

I have a LR-308T.  7.62 and .308 both function 100%.  Accuracy with both Malaysian and South African surplus in unimpressive.  150gr Federal soft points from WallyWorld print into right at 1" at 100 yrds. FGMM is even better.  I'd really like to find a few boxes of LC, DAG, RADWAY, and maybe some Portugese and see if any of them shoot better than the MAL or SA.

John

I am using Lake City M80 (147 gr) as my main plinking round. Shoots about 2" groups at 100 for me.

I have also shot DAG, but not many rounds of it.

As far as Jlbell's not firing, I also installed a Geissele SSA trigger group in my LR308. I believe the hammer hits the pin harder...different spring and lighter hammer.... maybe that's why he had fire problems.  <dontknow>

Could be the difference between the triggers, but I am using an AR Gold.  Biggest problem was I beleive the round did not full seat in the chamber.  I dont think the bolt completely locked up.  Then there was the problem of the round sticking in the chamber.  Had to beat the charging handle back to extract the unfired round.  All is good, rifle was not built for Surplus and has since been sighted in (GMM 168 gr.).

• 1 year later...

My LR308 is chambered in 308.

I have shot 150 gr 7.62 x 51 surplus with no problems, but they are not as accurate as that Sierra 168 gr BTHP. That is one accurate round.

Agreed... My LR308B is sub moa with my Sierra 165gr handloads and a scope. There hasn't been a surplus round it doesn't like. S.A, British, German, Korean.. It especially likes Port. and IMI (Israel) although the Brazillain CBC that is curently out there group as well, they all have a slight difference P.O.I. with the IMI being higher and the CBC lower but will basically hold 1 1/2" -2" at 100yds w/ an EOTEC 512.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Brothers,

The last rifle I ever shot was a M-14 with an ART scope on it in '65 chu lai.  The good ole days. 

So I just bought a DPMS LR-308.  Now the underside of the barrel is stamped 7.62 x 51, while the receiver is stamped LR-308?  So I can fire both .308 Winchester and

Nato 7.62 rounds through it?  Any advice/comments are appreciated.

thanks,

diesel

Hello Brothers,

The last rifle I ever shot was a M-14 with an ART scope on it in '65 chu lai.  The good ole days. 

So I just bought a DPMS LR-308.  Now the underside of the barrel is stamped 7.62 x 51, while the receiver is stamped LR-308?  So I can fire both .308 Winchester and

thanks,

diesel

Yes, with confidence! With this platform it is far less a concern than with a bolt gun.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Brothers,

thanks,

diesel

ART Scope?  That's what I've got attached to my LR308b. It starts at 250 yards and goes out probably further than a suplus round will go BUT it is uber accurate.  I've run it out to 300 yards so far. I just twist the dial to 300, take aim, account for any wind and pull the trigger.  Hit after hit on target.  What a wonderful piece of glass on a great platform. 

BTW, my rifle is marked .308 but I shoot surplus all the time.  Initially it was tight but subsequent cleanings have provided the tiny bit of space needed to accommodate the surplus. I've shot Port, DAG, Hirt and just about all the other surplus with narry a problem anymore.  Accurate, too.

Rome

Just got back on.  Thank you brother!  Now am looking into some Magpul Mags and maybe a trigger upgrade.  But I can shoot both 7.62 x 51 and Win .308 and don't want the trigger too light.

Oh well, more moolah to shovel out.  Some jerk wants $75 for one Ar-10, DPMS LR .308 magpul mags.  I'm going to wait a couple more weeks when the new version comes out according to Magpul.

Keep the rubber side down and your powder dry!

diesel

• 3 months later...