• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Speedlock Systems - "CWS" Carrier Weight System

imschur

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have one of the CS flat springs.( no weights ) I'm going to try in my 16" .

I got pissed that the Fed. mil spec ammo did not work in her.

I am going to make a comparison of the velocities between the two springs (DPMS 308 carbine & CS flat for AR 10) , going to change them at the range this week.

Get to try my new Christmas present from the wife ,a Chronograph.

I tumbled ammo , to clean it up .

Will see if there spring makes a difference.

• 4 months later...

I'm so far behind, and so pissed at myself...  >:(  I ordered two of these from Brownells tonight.  They'll get tested/shot the first Sunday after they get to me - which might be this Sunday.  I'll see what they do to the .308, then the 16" 5.56 midlength gun, which is what they're both intended for anyway.

On another note, the most recent 14.5" carbine-gas 5.56 gun got the H3 buffer in there...

That thing is SMOOOOOOTH...  ;D 

Update - I received two of these today, and both are already installed.  One in the 16" 5.56 billet gun, and the other in the .308 AR.  I didn't piss around with the weight for the .308, either, and went straight to the insert shell and the heavy weight.  I'll shoot it this Sunday and report back when I get back from the range.  <thumbsup>

I used the shell insert and the lighter weight in the 16" 5.56 billet beauty, and it'll get shot the same day.  It's already running a Spike's T2 powdered tungsten buffer in it, so we'll see what happens.  If I take a few shots and it cycles fine, the heavy weight will go right in there for testing.  If that combo works, it'll probably recoil like a .22LR conversion...  <laughs>

I see in the link to the AR-15 cws in  Imschur's initial post that they show a picture of the back of two cases. The discription says that they are the same load from the same gun, with and without the carrier weight. I have two questions pertaining to this. The first one is, is the powder staining on the case head around the primer, the first symtom I should expect to see from excessive pressure when working up max loads? Or are difficulty to extract and primer flow likely to happen first? The primer piercing that I've heard about, is that something I will see with greater pressure than those other signs of overpressure?  The second question is, I have installed an adjustable gas block on my current build in order to tailor the gas impulse to match my lightened bolt carrier. I'm trying to figure out how it would work if I were to consider adding weight to a BCG that was purposely lightened. It seems counter productive. If the heavier carrier cycles smoother with less recoil, I'm wondering why the lightweight BCG's are so popular with the competition guys, maybe slightly faster cycle times for faster follow up shots?