• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

fd-defense .308

Jgun

Looks like a real picture of the .308...

About a year ago, they started taking pre-orders and down payments for the .338 LM semi.  All they had for details of it were computer-generated images - nothing real.  I stopped following it, once I didn't see any real progress or pic of progress. 

http://www.fd-defense.com/fd338

Bottom line - don't know how they'll turn out, though they look nice. 

I'll be damned if they aren't proud of their build. Look at that price tag. I'm always irked by new companies that think they can sell their never seen before build for the same price as a rifle built by an established company like JP Rifle or Christiansen Arms.

The rifle looks good and clean, but besides the piston and left side charging handle it's kind of plain. Nothing very innovative or ground breaking.

POF already has a piston version and I like the JP (and Kaiser, if they ever come back) left side charge better.

I'll be honest, I didn't read far into the F&D page. If they offer a package and/or guarantee a sub MOA, that might change my opinion about the deal.

A prime example of new companies earning their keep and possibly deserving their price tag is the AXTS firearms. Insanely expesive receivers, but fully ambidextrous, billet made, with a custom look and feel. I feel their new design may have knocked one out of the park.

I actually found this on GB. from the pics I get the impression that this is a pretty high end rifle. I'm not usually a big fan of rifles with proprietary handguards, but I have to admit that it sure looks as though they took the time to make a strong interface between the receiver and HG. And that bolt carrier doesn't look like any other I've seen, maybe it's because it's a piston setup. there are so many variables when it comes to making a quality product, a good design can be wasted if they use inferior materials, or don't pay attention to tolerances, and even if they do everything right, if it costs so much to produce that they price themselves out of the market, or can't sell enough to make it profitable, than it doesn't matter how good it is, but from the pics it appears to me as though they've put a lot of effort into development on this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=259585801

They really did a great job on the appearance of that rifle.  If the .338 is really going to look like that, it will be worth watching out for.

I saved all 28 pics out of the GB auction - I'll get them up in here in a little while.  Hell with it, I'll do it now...  <dontknow>

post-71-136297269811_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297269812_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297269814_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297269815_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297269817_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297269819_thumb.jpg

Tell you guys what - with the only real offering out there for a semi .338 LM being the Bad News...  I just wasn't liking that one.  I was honestly looking for the bolt guns, and the 98B was the one I was really after.

Now...  if these guys can pull off that .338 LM semi and have it looking like this .308 here, then my defenses will not be able to resist...  <dontknow> :o <thumbsup>

Don't know if this is true or not, but looking at the photo's, it appears as though the barrel may be  mounted in the hand guard and the barrel/piston/hanguard assembly attaches to the upper receiver with those four cap screws. If that is in fact the case, this gun might be caliber convertable with the change of that assembly and a matched BCG. I Wonder if that's possible?  At the least, you ought to be able to replace the barrel pretty quickly out in the field, a feature that the would most certainly be desirable to the military.

Don't know if this is true or not, but looking at the photo's, it appears as though the barrel may be  mounted in the hand guard and the barrel/piston/hanguard assembly attaches to the upper receiver with those four cap screws. If that is in fact the case, this gun might be caliber convertable with the change of that assembly and a matched BCG. I Wonder if that's possible?  At the least, you ought to be able to replace the barrel pretty quickly out in the field, a feature that the would most certainly be desirable to the military.

Taking off any little screws in the field , would not be one of my favorite past times .

Now a lever or some kind of release would be more like it , some thing that you would not have to unscrew & potentially lose .

Just look at some of the Belt fed quick change bbl's ,now & past .

All of my comments are based on looking at the same photo's as you. What I meant about the bolt carrier was that it looked  to be lightened differently than any other carrier I've seen, AR 15 or .308. Although it's clearly an AR type bolt/lug setup, I'd be surprised if it would interchange with anyone Else's. As far as the barrel change goes, I'm not ex military, and I didn't mean to imply that it was designed to be a quick change barrel like on a Browning M2, but I've heard that one of the problems with certain issued weapons is that to have them repaired requires sending them back off the line. It appeared to me as though a design like this could have a barrel replaced with hand tools in a tent, almost as easily as you'd pop the pins to  remove the BCG to clean it. I may be wrong here but I would think that if true, that ability might be usefull.