• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Genesis CNC
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Patriot Outfitters
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Announcements

• Recent forum updates   08/21/2015

Ladies and Gentlemen (and Tom), The forum has recently been migrated to new forum software. To those of you who have been here a while, please realize that it will take some time to get everything working. If you have just joined the site recently, we're very pleased to have you as well. Please be patient while the wrinkles get ironed out of the new system. Thanks!   Matt

IMR 3031

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone used IMR 3031 in AR 308 reloads?  I had a lot of luck with a load of this in a bolt action, clean and very accurate. I wondered how it will work in an AR?  -Bill-

Posted

The order of preference of powders in 308 match loads seems to be Varget, H or IMR-4895, 4064, and 3031. 3031 is a little fast, but if your rifle likes it, it should be fine. The most accurate loads aren't usually at the top of the velocity curve anyway. I used to load a lot of 3031 years ago, but not any lately. I'm not sure why. I use a lot of H-4895 as it seems to be the universal powder, good for almost anything. I load 30-30, 30-40, 30-06, 35 Rem, and 350 Rem Mag with it, and it does good for all. I don't have to keep so many different powders that way.

Posted

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll knock the load down a notch and try it in my rifle, as soon as it comes in. With all I've been reading it sounds like Varget is the ticket for AR 308's.  -Bill-