• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Vortex Razor vs Bushnell vs SWFA SS

Vortex Razor Hd 5-20x50 ffp, illuminated, zero stop, 35mm tube

SWFA SS 5-20x50 ffp, illuminated, 30mm tube

Bushnell 6-24x50 ffp, illuminated, 30mm

or bushnell 3.5x21x50 ffp, illuminated, 34mm tube

These are the main scopes i have been looking into.  What i am looking for and anyone who is able to give me a actual comparison that they have done or been able to do as to function, quality, ease of use, and able to say which one they liked, and for what reason.  If you have a scope that you feel is better than all of these, and have been able to actually compare it to one of these, then i would appreciate your input or suggestion.

These are the perimeters:

under $2500

FFP

ILLUMINATED

PARALLAX

around the 5-20x50 zoom/lens size or grater

30mm tube or grater

and looks super sweet :)

Im building a MEGA MA-TEN with JP 20" barrel, heat sink, jp bolt and carrier, JP silent capture buffer spring assembly, ATC trigger and Battle Arms safety selector, KNS ant rotational pins, etc. etc, and am about to purchase a scope.  from what i can see, any one would most likely be happy with any one of these, however, just want some input before i drop the hammer.

thanks <munch>

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that Bushnell Elite scopes are made in the same factory as Nightforce scopes, do not know if true.

im pretty sure the glass comes from the same place. LOW (light optical works) factory in japan. also grind glass for the weaver tacticals and SS HD scopes. just what i read when i was doing scope research. cant verify that.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just went through the same thing and ended up with a Bushnell XRS, I decided I would rather have more magnification as an option than illumination.  I have never needed illumination before.  I had my finger on the trigger to buy the Razor HD but I like the G2 reticle better, and after handeling a PRS (not the razor though), I liked the busnell turrets better and the excellent things I have read about tracking and holding 0 on it from people that own much more expensive scopes that have made the switch.  The glass on the razor HD might be a little better but I decided Tracking, and Holding 0 was more important (not to say that the razor HD can't do this), since both offered good glass the G2 reticle won me over (its a scope not a camera or after all).  I don't like the hold over dots as much as I like lines, and I like the .2 mill spaced lines instead of solid bars on the axis.

So for the same price as a razor HD I get 4.5-30x FFP and a better reticle (to me), at the cost of illumination that I would probably never use.  Now 30x might not be that suefull but its there if i want it.

I heard the SS is good too, just didn't care for the reticle.

Oh yea and they were $300 off on LibertyOptics right now which gave me the final shove in the Bushnell direction.

Edited by Justintoxicated

• 1 month later...

Here's a very good (imo) review from Sniper Central between the SS HD & Vortex Razor HD.....

http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/optics/36049-field-test-ss-5-20-hd-vs-vortex-razor-hd-5-20-a.html

Nice review, I think he had to old Razor HD though, the new ones have upgraded optics, supposedly an edge over the SS.  I also don't know which reticle he was using on the Razor HD either, does not sound like he was using the EBR-2B which is the reticle I would choose for the Razor over the diamonds on the SS.   Then again I think the Bushnell G2DMR reticle is better than both of them which high up there on my reasons list is why I went with it.    It also depends if you want to be able to do hold overs or not, I love that ability which would be nearly impossible to do wit the SS reticle.  If you want to always dial the knobs though it's not required.  I would prefer 5 mil knobs over the 10 if there is a zero stop, but that's all preference.  The scope I bought has 10 mil knobs which some consider an upgrade, but not me.

Another thing to consider is if you want Moa/Moa or Mil/Mil.  I was interested in trying the moa/moa on the Razor HD, which Bushnell and SS do not offer.  I also read the illumination is better on the Razor HD over the SS, but haven't compared them myself as I have no need for illumination for what I use it for.  Finally I think Vortex has the best warranty out of the above.

It all comes down to the features you want the most, apparently the tracking is pretty solid on all of them, although I haven't seen any drop tests, or 3rd party tests like I have with the Bushnell.  

Most importantly  the Bushnell 6-24 model you were looking in the OP at is NOT as good as the other 2 scopes for sure.   Comparable would be the XRS, or if wanting something cheaper the G2HDMR (Neither of which have  illumination).  The XRS does not have illumination but comes in cheaper then the Razor HD and has 30x magnification.  Expect mirage @30x on a hot day though.  If you need illumination you can cross Bushnell off the list. The 3.5-21mm with 34mm tube does not have illumination.

The SS is supposed to be a great scope for the money, but most of the people saying that were able to take advantage of the HUGE sale that you missed where you get 2 scopes for only a little more than they are now charging for one.

I'd suggest youtubing a video that demonstrates using the G2DMR reticle on the Bushnell, the Razor would work the same way only you have dots instead of lines.

One more thing, make sure knobs have enough adjustment for the distance you want to shoot. The Razor HD I think has the most?  On the SS it might be more important since you don't have wind-age hold overs, but it might have enough for ya.

Again I'm not saying not to get the SS, get what you want!

Edited by Justintoxicated

• 5 months later...

I picked up one of the SWFA SS HD 5-20X50 a few weeks ago to go on my build.  I haven't taken it out yet as the rifle is being cerakoted rightnow but as far as its quality its top notch.  I don't think the glass is quite as crisp as the Razor HD but it is almost $500 cheaper also.  Though the SS HD may not be as crisp as the Razor HD it allows more then plenty of light through and the colors are very accurate.  I actually like the reticle pattern in it.  I like the way the diamonds allow more precise measurments.  This is just my 2 cents though