• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loads for 18 inch DPMS 308

ghorn

308 brothers, need help.  I just bought a DPMS 308 with a 18" barrel with 1x10 twist (?) and I am looking for some load info for that rifle.  I see load info for 16 " and 20 to 24 " rifles, but nothing for 18" so far, I am new here.  Had a socom got rid of it, traded for DPMS.  I reload and what I am seeing here is that a lot of ya'll are using 168 gr bullet for reloading.  Does anyone know how the 147-155 gr shoot from an 18" DPMS?  I am thinking that 168 gr to much for 18 " barrel and that a lighter bullet is better, if not please enlighten me, love to learn more about reloading. Looking to pick the brains from those that have been reloading for awhile.  Look forward to the info, thanks to all that reply.

Yea I hope so. Had a socom and could not hit my target past 75 yd.  I traded it for the DPMS, so I am looking forward to see what it can do.  My son has a DPMS Tac 20 and it is a sweet shooting rifle.  Accurate with Federals 150 gr SP.  Fair with 147 gr military.  So this rifle should be fun.  It has a free float handguard that's aluminum and will replace it with a picannity rail.

An 18", with 1:10 twist, shooting 168gr bullets, should remain supersonic to 600 yards.

You don't want to go much lighter than the 168gr with that tight twist. The accuracy will be fine. The problem is that the higher velocity bullets will cause more pressure/friction/heat, thus reducing the life of your barrel faster.

You can shoot lighter bullets safely, just allow your barrel ample cooling between shots.

So how is using 147 to 155 going to affect my accuracy.  If I use powder that on the low end with the lighter bullets, will I still have a issue with the barrel heating up?  I wanted to use the 147 to 155 grain since they are abundant and cheaper than the 168 grain.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Are you hand loading? If so, just load light. Keep your velocity under 2600 fps and you should be fine.

A 168gr bullet in a 18" barrel should be traveling 2400-2450 fps. You can expect to lose supersonic speed just after 800 meters. The 155 and 147 are going to decelerate faster, as wind resistance will affect them more.

As for accuracy. The 1:10 is the tightest commercially available twist you can get. Tighter the twist = more spin. You usually run into accuracy problems when you bullet gets heavier and you twist opens up. Shooting a 180 or 200 grain bullet in a 1:12 would be silly.

My custom barrel is 17" with a 1:10 twist. I only shoot 168gr (freebie department issued stuff).

It all depends , as said, on the distances you are planing to shoot. All the available will shoot good out of the 1-10 , but some don't do well at the longer ranges. That's where the 168-175 gr. bullets will do better .

Not saying you can't group with the lighter pills at those ranges , just the heavies will do better .

Just load the 155's or 147's or what ever at the reloading manual spec's & go from there . Just check your brass for signs of over pressure , as you would normally & if you have a Chronograph , use it to adjust as your load as needed.

If you need loading spec info , go to the bullet manufactures sight & there should be some there.

1:14? Really? That seems really loose for a 155gr. I imagine that would be awesome for those +3000fps 125gr-135gr, coyote rifles. I wouldn't be shy about shooting a 155gr from a 1:10. I know the sniper team for the SWAT guys shoot 155gr-168gr from 1:12 Rem 700's.

I really appreciate the info on the loads for my new rifle.  My gun range goes out to 200 yds, so that is my max for now.  My reason for 147 to 155 gr is price.  I am shooting paper only so looking to learn shooting and reloading.  I will try the 168 gr but nothing larger.  So thanks again for the info, will be writing soon to let everyone know how I did with rifle. 

My long-barrel DPMS does fine with 150 gr (or so) commercial ammo.  It seems to like heavier bullets better and I shoot up to 190 gr,  handloads and commercial.  The only ammo that does not do well is some Brown Bear 140 gr. that was on sale.  The Brown Bear prints an 8 inch pattern at 100 yards.  Everything else prints under 2 inches consistently,  might do better if someone who could shoot well was holding the rifle.  <laughs>

I think the problem with the 140 gr ammo is the OAL.  I think the bullets have to jump too far to reach the rifling.

This 140 gr Brown Bear does well in my Rem 700 and Savage 11.

I think bullet weight in the 308 Win should be kept between the military 147 gr and about 180 gr max.  Heavier bullets are intended for bigger cartridges and guns like the 300 magnums.  The serious competition shooters using 308 Win seem to prefer bullet weights in the 160's to mid 170's and when I have used up my sample quantities of bullets I will settle into a single bullet in this range.  I also think barrel length,  from 16 to 26 inches,  only affects measured velocity -- 10 feet or so from the muzzle -- and not by much.  Idiosyncrasies of the specific rifle are more significant.  Just my opinion (no humble:  my signs are Leo and Metal Dragon!  <laughs> <lmao> ).

Thanks for the info Dusty44.  That is my plans to shoot bullets that are around 150 grains (147 to 155).  I have just found out that my rifle is a 16 inch barrel, not 18 inch.  The extra two inch is the flash hider. It looks like the Phantom flash hider, which I do like.  So I will keep the 16 inch and work from there. 

• 2 months later...

CavScout 62,

Thank you and bless you for your service to this country.  Second thank you for the info on the loads that you use.  I have been looking for loads that our military is using and this info will help.  I am using RL 15 for  my 308 loads and now I have a great starting point.  I don't have many LC brass but do have commercial brass and will try that load here soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a load that I tried 4 days ago.  I used a DPMS Tach 20 rifle, with a 1x10 twist.  Millet 4-16x50 scope at a range of 100 yards.  This is a 5 shot group using the following:  Federal Brass (once fired), 147 gr pulled bullet, with CCI large rifle primers, and 35 grains of RL 15.

I hope that ya'll enjoy the pic, I had fun testing my sons rifle(hehehe).

post-2001-136297280464_thumb.jpg