• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LW 20" 308 build completed!

Here she is!  20" Rainier barrel, DPMS carbon fiber ff tube, adjustable dpms gas block (modded myself), 5 rnd pmag (modded myself). DPMS slick side upper, and DPMS bcg. Weighs 9.25 lb as shown with the 4.5-14x Zeiss on top.  Now gotta get some calm days to test accuracy!  I've had it out testing function, it ran flawlessly and I got the gas block adjusted.

SDC10309.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the compliments guys!  I do really like it, though I've changed things a bit since that pic.  That Zeiss now sits on my 243 build, since the bdc reticle closely matches the 80 gr Barnes I'm shooting out of that one.  I also robbed the carbon fiber tube for the 243.  I plan on getting another for the 308.  And I put a Houge grip on the lower, much nicer than mil-spec.  Cheek weld is good,  I used some high Weaver quad-lock rings.  Not the see-thru's, just normal high rings.

The full story is that the first 308 barrel was a dog.  Not many acceptable groups with anything, and different weight bullets shot to drastically different points of impact.  Rainier took it back and sent me another, and this one is much better.  Haven't found a "magic" load yet, however everything I've shot is acceptable for a light contour barrel. 

I don't know the name for the contour off hand, but it is pictured on Rainiers web site.  This is the Select line, which is made by a manufacturer in WA that can't be named here.  Cleans ridiculously easy, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find any copper in it at all.  Overall I'm really happy with it, and will be happier yet when I test a few more loads.  It likes 150 gr Sierra GK ok, but I'm going to try the flat based Pro-hunters, sometimes barrels just prefer the flat based bullets over the boattails.  Here's a pic of both the 243 and 308, 243 on top.  :

SDC10324.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...