• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magazines for the lar 8

12ptdroptine

Who can tell me what and where to get for magazines for my 308. I have a couple 20 rd polymer ones that seem to work good. I have a 5rd and a 3rd ordered that are both metal.That should cover most hunting laws. But I would like to get a couple 10rd mags. I just like the way they fit and the balance. No need at this time to add any unnecessary weight. By the time I get a light and other extras its getting a little chubby <dontknow>

Thanks all

Drop

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered two from DSA (took forever to get in) and one from RRA. They seem to work good but they are heavier than my poly mags. Only bought them because I was stationed in Cali (damn Nazi state) . I prefer the poly mags. I only want to keep one of them if you want the other two let me know I'll give you a good price.

• 1 month later...

Mags showed up in 4 days very cool. They are very tight will this disapate over use or should i wet sand the edges ? oil? any trix in this area thanks

The Thermolds are identical to the RRA polymer mags, just don't say RRA on them.

The RRA magazines come with a paper stating "Due to the progressive improvement to the design of the LAR-8 magwell, some magazines may not drop freely from all LAR-8s and/or may require filing of the spacing tab."

It also states that the locking tab may need to be filed so as to allow free movement of the bolt-carrier assembly.

All 15 I ordered functioned 100% in the Elite Operator LAR-8 but needed adjustment of the locking tab on the standard Operator.  All were good in both rifles with the spacing tab.

Do note that polymer files really very easily, like a knife in hot butter!  Keep your file straight and square to the tabs as you file!  Most literally only took four passes with the file.

Jon