• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Colt 7.62 Rifle

imschur

Oooooh yeah.  In fact, I meant to post an Army Times article about the M4 - something about "Making The M4 Deadlier," or similar title.  In that article, they're talking about the Army opening the contract for a new carbine in 2012...  We all wondered and discussed about that with the SCAR 16 SOCOM piece.  <thumbsup>  I'll get that article included in that thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The announcement of the intentions of the carbine contract/competition, along with the introduction of this rifle - way too much coincidence.  There's a pretty big article in the latest edition of Army Times about this Colt CM901...  Upper right corner...

ArmyTimes8Nov10.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to imagine what would make this a more desirable setup (for me) than a dedicated  5.56 gun and a seperate  7.62. If I could use any mil spec AR-15 upper on it, that would give me options to build the upper to suit my needs, But if the lower is built to accomidate 7.62, I'm thinking your going to end up with a heavier 5.56 gun than you'd get if you built a dedicated AR-15 type gun. And I'm guessing that if their 7.62 upper fit's the same lower that accepts reg mil spec 5.56 uppers, that has to mean that no other AR .308 upper will fit, which means your stuck with whatever Colt offers for 7'62 uppers, rails, barrels etc. Of course, if it's lighter than  a full size, dedicated .308 AR type gun, that would be very desireable. Kind of like the ar15performance.com  "ITS 12".    Man the .308 AR scene sure seems to be developing rapidly these days.