• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt Carrier help needed

Clean the bolt carrier?

Jon

Firing pin, bolt carrier, etc...  I assume that you're being funny and don't clean it that often if ever???  I'm new to the LR/AR and was just trying to understand how my gun operates.  These are the videos that got me in trouble: 

and this one: 

I took the time to watch the cleaning vid,as a civilian without formal training was glad I was on the same page as the youngman.The function test,I do the hammer fall,didn't do the holding back on trigger after charging do reset then drop hammer but I will from now on.I will do more function clean and try to be less anal on cleaning,should cut down time quite a bit :) .Great link thanks brother now in search of chicken biscut,biscut. :D

Please post up some pictures of how your carrier is different. That first video is my video, and I apologize if it caused you to commit any error.

Firing pin, bolt carrier, etc...  I assume that you're being funny and don't clean it that often if ever???  I'm new to the LR/AR and was just trying to understand how my gun operates.  These are the videos that got me in trouble: 
and this one: 

Please post up some pictures of how your carrier is different. That first video is my video, and I apologize if it caused you to commit any error.

The 1st video is my carrier and it wasn't the video's fault.  The Retaining Pin just wouldn't come out.  I forced it out with a punch and rubber mallet.  Once it was removed, and I could inspect it; it looked slightly tweaked.  I cleaned the hole and inspected before attempting to re-insert the pin.  When I tried to put it back in, it didn't want to seat fully, and I knew that something was wrong.  Juding from the comments on Midway USA on the product reviews, this appears to be fairly common.  When I removed the pin the second time, one side had sheared.  I have about 25 rounds through this gun and disassembled the bolt carrier more to see how it is done.  This appears to be a good part to keep on hand, but in the current environment Midway limited my quantity to 1 on the order ($4.50 part + shipping...). 

Link to the Midway order, read the reviews:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/783728/dpms-firing-pin-retaining-pin-lr-308-matte