• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

my LR308 build (99% done)

Well, I kinda cheated. I've had a Bushmaster LR308 ORC for awhile, just never did anything with it (include shoot it...). So, I decided to make a project out of it and do some upgrades after completing an AR Armorer's course.

IMG_0850.jpg

Added-

• Rainier Arms 20" UltraMatch barrel w/ lopro block
  • BattleComp BABC
  • APEX 15" free floating rail
  • Ergo Palmshelf grip
  • PRS stock
  • Slash Buffer/spring
  • Timney trigger
  • Atlas Bipod
  • B.A.D. Ambi safety selector
  • Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle
  • dust cover with 7.62 laser etched on the outside, 'Reach Out' 'Touch Someone' etched inside
  • super crappy $99 Bushnell scope! LOL

The last thing to get is a SWFA SS 5-20x50 FFP scope... I would have it now, but I have some serious vet emergency bills to pay off first, and family (furry or not) come first. I also have a stainless washer set coming to get rid of the black crushwasher Battlecomp included with their stainless BABC.

And eventually I'll possibly move everything over to a billet upper/lower, once they are able to be found again reasonably priced

My HOPE is to hit the range Tuesday for breaking in the barrel properly... :sniper:

Edited by SwissyJim

Thanks all... hopefully Tuesday we'll be out seeing how far away I can pop a mosquito in the ass with this thing! ^-^ Is supposed to be sunny, so would bea good time for pics.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out... still trying to decide on a few things, like a NiB or chrome BCG, the MATEN set, and the scope. Wondering if a Vortex PST 6x24 would suffice, or if I really need to go with the SWFA... good glass is worth more than its' weight in gold, so I am leaning heavily towards the SWFA (on the recommendation of a friends son, who is a current USMC Armorer). And thanks jrt, I am on the list @ JoeBobs....  and Rainier... and... but I'm in no rush since I have the Bushmaster lower/upper so I'm kinda waiting not only for stock, but see if the prices will ever return to pre-SandyHook prices. I don't have a smartphone, so I get the 'in stock' emails later in the day, and everything is always gone by then. Just picked up an M&P15-22 and you'd think the mags for that thing are made of gold! can't find one anywhere that won't cause me assburn.

one thing I need to do is slap this sucker on a scale... I certainly did not go light weight!

One other thing I forgot to list... I was disappointed in that the PRS stock did not accept the Magpul recoil pads... got a .70" just for it, but no go. So in looking around, I found a better solution - a Tactilite MP adapter for the PRS with a Limbsaver pad to fit it. Found out about it on SnipersHide, and have the stuff on order thru Brownells. LOVE LOVE LOVE the limbsaver on my Saiga12, so it should be awesome on this as well.

One other thing I forgot to list... I was disappointed in that the PRS stock did not accept the Magpul recoil pads... got a .70" just for it, but no go. So in looking around, I found a better solution - a Tactilite MP adapter for the PRS with a Limbsaver pad to fit it. Found out about it on SnipersHide, and have the stuff on order thru Brownells. LOVE LOVE LOVE the limbsaver on my Saiga12, so it should be awesome on this as well.

They make a PRS specific pad for those...http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG350/35

Great looking rifle. I am curious how that barrel will perform for you. I was currently eye-balling the RA UltraMatch myself, in 18". I asked RA how it would compare to the Noveske and they told me they are just as good as one other, and that I just had to decide which chamber I wanted (Noveske = NATO, RA = Wylde, apparently).

Great looking rifle. I am curious how that barrel will perform for you. I was currently eye-balling the RA UltraMatch myself, in 18". I asked RA how it would compare to the Noveske and they told me they are just as good as one other, and that I just had to decide which chamber I wanted (Noveske = NATO, RA = Wylde, apparently).

Also, for .308  Noveske is Armalite only!

Edited by edgecrusher

What are you buildin', dude?  5,56 gun?

There is no Wylde chamber for a .308 cartridge.  That's 5.56/.223 stuff, exclusively.

ya i was googling that, trying to figure out what a Wylde chamber meant as far as 308 goes, and couldnt find anything yet. So I assume the guy at RA must have thought I was asking about a 556 barrel, even though the subject title was "308 Barrel" lol. I had never heard the term used for a 308, which is why i said "apparently", but i wasnt going to argue with him being as new as I am to 308 AR

Hey brother, .223 Wylde is a hybrid chamber between 5.56 NATO, and .223 Remington.  Bottom line in 5.56 guns, and the short story - .223 Rem is a shorter, tighter chamber than 5.56 NATO chamber.  Chamber pressures are different, with the two.  Same with the ammo.  NATO cases are not identical to .223 Rem cases, and when loaded to the same levels, NATO cases yield a higher pressure, when fired.

You can run a lower-pressured .223 Rem round in a 5.56 NATO chamber.  No worries.

You can run a higher-pressured 5.56 NATO round in a .223 Rem chamber.  For a little while.  Over time, the .223 Rem chamber won't continue to hold those higher 5.56 NATO pressured rounds. 

.223 Rem chambers are inherently more accurate, over something chambered in 5.56 NATO.  The 5.56 NATO chambers will run anything through them, and just run.  One is accurate, one is a workhorse, in a sense.

.223 Wylde chambers are the hybrid between the two chambers.  You can run .223 Rem ammo, 5.56 NATO ammo, and it's all good, through a Wylde chamber.  It accepts both (5.56 chamber accepts both, too).  In a simple way to look at it, it's like a match chamber for 5.56 NATO ammo, and it shoots .223 Rem ammo very well, too. 

There's a ton of technical info that I've put up on the two, but that's it, in a nutshell.  I searched, briefly, for a graphic I had posted, that showed chamber dimensions, and didn't find it.  It's here somewhere.

Hey brother, .223 Wylde is a hybrid chamber between 5.56 NATO, and .223 Remington.  Bottom line in 5.56 guns, and the short story - .223 Rem is a shorter, tighter chamber than 5.56 NATO chamber.  Chamber pressures are different, with the two.  Same with the ammo.  NATO cases are not identical to .223 Rem cases, and when loaded to the same levels, NATO cases yield a higher pressure, when fired.

You can run a lower-pressured .223 Rem round in a 5.56 NATO chamber.  No worries.

You can run a higher-pressured 5.56 NATO round in a .223 Rem chamber.  For a little while.  Over time, the .223 Rem chamber won't continue to hold those higher 5.56 NATO pressured rounds. 

.223 Rem chambers are inherently more accurate, over something chambered in 5.56 NATO.  The 5.56 NATO chambers will run anything through them, and just run.  One is accurate, one is a workhorse, in a sense.

.223 Wylde chambers are the hybrid between the two chambers.  You can run .223 Rem ammo, 5.56 NATO ammo, and it's all good, through a Wylde chamber.  It accepts both (5.56 chamber accepts both, too).  In a simple way to look at it, it's like a match chamber for 5.56 NATO ammo, and it shoots .223 Rem ammo very well, too. 

There's a ton of technical info that I've put up on the two, but that's it, in a nutshell.  I searched, briefly, for a graphic I had posted, that showed chamber dimensions, and didn't find it.  It's here somewhere.

Great description. I'm sure that answered a few questions that I would also have down the road.

I'm familiar with the 223 and 556 chamber from owning and researching that for a while... The 308 stuff is what's new to me. It's a lot harder to find solid information but I think it's starting to come together. I do need to choose a chamber so I can order a barrel soon.

But either way your post is a good summary for those chambers. One thing I would add that answers a question I had.. From the research I have done, all ammo manufacturers manufacture the physical components for 223 or 556 exactly the same, and the only thing they will change is the powder load. If that isn't accurate let me know, it's just what I have read, not something I have confirmed with my own measuring.

Edited by phunk

well, after all the hustle and bustle of putting that thing together, I just today was able to get the time to headspace it...  good to go <thumbsup>  Also got the precision washers in the same matte finish as the barrel (looks much better IMO) and the limbsaver pad. That's an issue tho... the limbsaver does not match up in size to the adapter... more research needed. But it will work, it's bolted on, and feels MUCH better.

Maybe someday I can go test fire it...