• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

my LR308 build (99% done)

So... after a super crapload of busy days, I FINALLY got to the range to play today. And, of course, mr .308 went with me!

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Shot great, but having some issues. Ejections are 'lazy' and get some FTE's and an occasional double feed. Was hoping the HeavyBuffer.com setup would keep this from happening, and I did an extractor spring upgrade as well. But, I didn't spend a ton of time diagnosing it (other than it seems to not happen with Lake City 7.62 but did with MagTech .308) as I had other new toys to play with. I'll go back with JUST the .308 and some other ammo to try, and see what the issue is. Pretty happy with the way it shot otherwise.

Nice ,how did you like the BABC?

How dare you question greatness!! You should just expect that he had a near religious experience. Just as when Prometheus shared fire with man, the BABC is a gift bestowed from the heavens.

Instead your post should have been....

Nice, I see you have a BABC on your rifle and I acknowledge the spiritual moment you experienced shooting with it.

So... after a super crapload of busy days, I FINALLY got to the range to play today. And, of course, mr .308 went with me!

Ejections are 'lazy' and get some FTE's and an occasional double feed.

I took mine out for the first time sunday, and with crappy 35+ year old south African surplus 762 nato you had to duck the brass flying out. I think the furthest on mine went about 20 feet. and I had FTFs, but no FTEs. Its funny how differently they all operate particularly at first till they are broken in and all adjustments are made.

• 4 weeks later...

YES YES F-ING YES!!!!

Finally got a day to screw around with the .308. Was having FTE issues, started looking around and reading, and thinking. It happened bone stock, AND after I swapped nearly everything. So... what did I not swap? BCG. Ejector could be pushed down below the bolt face, so spring was correct length. Took my ejector, removed the SpringCo.Com double AR10 upgrade springs and put stock spring back on with insert. At the range, the rifle became a single shot. Round would not even be pulled out of the chamber. I had brought all my armorer stuff with me, and a few spare parts to try. Nice thing is, the range was closed to all but advanced members (of which I am). So I was able to spread out my mat, pull the rifle apart, and put in a different extractor with the same stock spring/insert. Re-assemble... single shot. Took everything apart, put double spring setup back in on new extractor, better than single shot but still a ton of FTE issues. I added a donut onto the springs, and it got better. I added a second donut, and bingo. 3 mags of no FTE!  WOOHOOOOOO!  Sooooooooooo happy I don't have to screw with other ideas, like putting the carbine buffer/slash spring on, try adj gas block, and so on. Nice thing was the brass ejected strong and clean every time. I'll take more ammo with me to try next time, but I'm pretty confident I found the issue.

964159_493486347388847_313708285_o.jpg

That's 100yrds, 5 shots TIGHTLY grouped just beow the X, the the rest of one mag and all of another firing as fast as I felt confident of being back on target. Not super rapid fire, but fast enough. Plus a few Zombie head shots for good measure...

Next is the 300yrd range.

Edited by SwissyJim