• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS 308/AR-10 BCG's

tootie

Hi Folks:

This is my first post but I have an age old question. I build AR-15's and typically use a variety of barrel/BCG combos. I don't think I've ever used a bolt made by the barrel maker. Typically, I use a Young National Match chrome BCG. Never a problem. Now I'm building an AR-10, DPMS style with their Mk 12 stainless barrel, and am having a hard time finding anything but a DPMS bolt. Frankly, I'm looking for a stronger item than they make. Young doesn't make a bolt for the 7.62. Suggestions anyone? Thanks for your wisdom!

Not much choice with 308's . Armalite AR-10 barrel use an Armalite bolt, likewise with a DPMS barrel use a DPMS. Some weapon manufacturers sub contract Young for the .308's but your not going to get one as a part or a BCG. They just are not out there.

The AR-15 bolt's weakness is not present in the 308 designs

FWIW Im not aware of a single issue with an Armalite or DPMS bolt.

Thanks Imschur  - from what little else I know, you can sneak by with an Armalite BCG and then it's just a question of GO-NO GO. I tend to use chrome and found a few suppliers - notably JSE from the hometown of our favorite right-winger Rush Limbaugh in Cape Girardeau, MO. Again, thanks for the help. I won't be a newby forever . . .

It's not clear to me whether your building an AR-10 or a DPMS LR-308

You can use the carriers interchangeably, not the bolts. The bolt needs to match the barrel extension type. To do anything else is asking for trouble imo.

Im not sure I understand why you would want to mix and match anyhow. Both BCG's are readily available. You will find DPMS chrome carriers pretty easy. The bolts will not be chrome.  JSE sells complete DPMS chrome and phosphate BCG's cheaper than anyone.

If you need AR-10 parts give the guys at Rainier a call. I have not personally seen a chrome AR-10 bcg.

It is a DPMS - I mistakenly use the AR-10 as a generic but I now am aware AR-10 is specifically an Armalite. I was under the impression the the BCG's were totally interchangeable as long as you didn't try to put an Armalite bolt into a DPMS carrier or vice versa. Makes perfect sense re the barrel extension though. Obviously still some to learn on this platform.

Rainier is on my short list of suppliers. I've only dealt with them on a couple of occasions but they always get the job done at a good price with a good selection. I'm still hunting up parts here and there - sights and a couple of specific tools for the .308, buffer extension tube, etc. WHereas I've done a couple dozen AR-15 builds, I will only do one or two .308's. Maybe a 6.8 is in the future. Thanks again for your help. Good advice is hard to find . . . that's why I've been married for the better part of 40 years. I only need 3 words - YES, NO and MAAM !