• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA10-DPMS problem

i just received  my PSA PA10 complete upper. i was able to attach it to my DPMS lower but i was unable to pull the charging handle back. seems very tight so i tried with some force and was able to pull it back but the bolt jambed up in the buffer tube. i had to pull the rear take down pin to release the bolt. i also tried using my dpms bolt in the psa receiver with the same problem.anyone else notice this problem.

the bolt and charging move normally when not attached to the lower. i measured with a diagital caliper from the bottom of the upper receiver to the bolt and i got different measurements between the dpms receiver and the psa receiver , the difference was significant  .150 -.200 with the dpms having larger dimension.'m not sure what gen the dpms is, purchased a few years ago on this board.

Sounds like they might not have it all sorted out anyways.  I just, to my chagrin, heard a report from a PSA employee that there's some undisclosed issue with the SSA-E trigger in the PSA lower.  Also that guy mentioned that the mag catch may not be compatible?  It definitely seems like half of them have no idea what's going on over there.

There could be several things to make it hang up .

-Remove the hammer from the lower receiver & see how the BCG works with it completely removed .Some times the hammer will hit the Disconnector in the trigger & will leave a mark , not letting the BCG pass.

- the alignment of the upper & lower receivers, remove the Buffer , spring & the receiver extension & Buffer stop & BCG & you will be able to see in there, if there is any alignment problems.

Are the Disassembly & Pivot pins hard to insert into the Upper receiver ? 

And yes , Photo's .

Edited by survivalshop

• 1 month later...

This is my first lr308 budget(If there is such a thing with 308) build. Not finished yet but so far Ive used a HellFire 80* Lower and the PSA ar10 complete upper with the 16" SS Bullbarrel, a Fortis Mfg. Break,a Midwest Industry 15" pod key rail and a Harris BiPod.Here's where it gets interesting, I'm doing 2 indentical. The first I used a DPMS Lower Parts Kit with no problems the 2nd I used a PSA Lower Parts Kit. The PSA takedown and pivot pins were too short. The PSA bolt catch is different in size from the DPMS and is hitting the Bolt Carrier when cycled. Like most of the 80* lowers they're not close enough to spec(no matter how they fit in the "Jig")for an enhanced trigger to be used but as a ToolMaker of 25 years I'm not giving up installing this Geisssele SSA Trigger!! Still working the "Bugs" out but so far I'm very happy with the first one that's waiting on some glass. Safe Shooting!!

post-15259-0-97976400-1414382530_thumb.j

post-15259-0-19982600-1414382582_thumb.j

post-15259-0-86314900-1414382611_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I asked PSA, via email, 11-08-14, about the issue of compatibility 

with their upper and a DPMS type lower. I got a reply yesterday.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Palmetto State Armory! Unfortuantly we can not guarantee that our AR10 parts will fit properly or function with another manufactures products. We recommend sticking to to strictly all Palmetto State Armory parts when building the PA10 rifle.

Thank you,

Cody
Customer Service
Palmetto State Armory
(803) 724-6950
Info@palmettostatearmory.com

Not finished yet but so far Ive used a HellFire 80* Lower...

This is probably the issue.

If that receiver extension threading wasn't cut EXACTLY on the money, then your receiver extension isn't in the lower - in line with the bore of the upper. 

Replace the lower with something that a factory puts out.  If that fixes your problem, then you know exactly where the problem is.

Edited by 98Z5V

By the way - this isn't a DPMS problem, and should probably be moved from this section, into a more appropriate section - You don't have a DPMS lower receiver, at all.

The "Building a .308 AR" section comes to mind.

http://forum.308ar.com/forum/47-building-a-308ar/

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...

This goes to show there is no spec for these .308 receivers. It's always best to use matching sets.I

I've seen this said before.  Actually there is an "official" spec for a 7.62 NATO AR type rifle: it's the M110 Semi-automatic Sniper Rifle, which is essentially a Knight's Armament SR25 (which is most nearly approximated by the DPMS pattern.)  The problem is that many mfgrs don't care to follow it. PSA seems to be a particulary egregious offender in this regard.  Maybe some day one will be able to buy "Mil-spec" components for a .308 AR the way one can now for the 5.56/.223 version.  In the meantime, "DPMS pattern" should be taken only to mean that it can use the same magazines.

^^^  Nope, there's no TDP to follow like there is for the M16/M4, because there were never multiple providers for the SASS.  Since KAC was the single-source provider, the .mil hasn't stated a TDP to run from.  There are no blueprints to follow for the .308 ARs.

• 3 weeks later...

^^^  ... there were never multiple providers for the SASS.  Since KAC was the single-source provider, the .mil hasn't stated a TDP to run from.  There are no blueprints to follow for the .308 ARs.

Seems more accurate to say that there are no blueprints in circulation for the M110. And only because no one has seen fit to reverse-engineer them and distribute. Dunno if KAC has any patents that prevents copying some small features, but those are only sidewise to my point: PSA advertises that they "can't guarantee" the their components will work with those from other manufacturers. What they should say is that they guarantee that theirs won't work with anyone else's. They are deliberately made to a different spec.

Components that are truly "DPMS pattern" should actually be fully compatible with other DPMS components. Not that hard to do. For example, an Ares Armor upper will mate almost perfectly with a Quentin Defense lower - the pivot and take-down pins slide right in - both are truly "DPMS pattern".

Edited by CactusRos

• 2 weeks later...

Seems more accurate to say that there are no blueprints in circulation for the M110.

Never said anything about blueprints for the KAC M110 - read closely.

You missed that.

If you don't think KAC has patents for their proprietary operations, then you're incorrect.  I think you need to research a little more, and post a little less, in manners that you only provide speculation on.  Which is often.

Seems more accurate to say that there are no blueprints in circulation for the M110. And only because no one has seen fit to reverse-engineer them and distribute.

I don't see how it's more accurate to say no blueprints when the TDP contains more than just blueprints (and none of the M110 SASS TDP is released)... Even if someone did reverse engineer an M110, they still wouldn't have the exact dimensions or tolerance specs of the blueprints.

Edited by FaRKle!

• 4 years later...