Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Welcome to 308ar.com!


imschur
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, 4EA said:

ive been kicking around the idea for awhile, actually more tempted by 6.8 although a little apprehensive about getting into another caliber, because that means il have to buy at least 5000 rounds of it too.  you know what i really want to do is get something belt fed.  i was eyeing the DSA arms RPD, however ive heard they discontinued production, and the ones left are likely unreliable.  so maybe il end up turning one of the stripped lowers into a dedicated lower for a fightlite MCR belt fed upper.  id really like an FN M249 SAW but dont have a spare $8000.00

I don't see much benefit with 6.8 and it seems like people are kinda going away from it. to many differences from .223 with not enough benefits, if you ask me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:06 PM, sketch said:

hope they are labeled other. check your regs..

nice cache.

yes, they are stamped other.   

On 11/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, ARTrooper said:

I don't see much benefit with 6.8 and it seems like people are kinda going away from it. to many differences from .223 with not enough benefits, if you ask me.

of all the niche calibers that a standard AR-15 can be chambered in 6.8 seems mildly interesting, but realistically i think its unnecessary.  it seems to make more sense to just keep everything 5.56.  if i want to shoot a different caliber i can just shoot one of my other non AR-15 type rifles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, ARTrooper said:

I don't see much benefit with 6.8 and it seems like people are kinda going away from it. to many differences from .223 with not enough benefits, if you ask me.

Supposedly the military is talking about switching to a 6.8 round in the future.

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=0954032272b6d0e198b5263ac57e848e&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

 

 

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/10/08/army-chief-offers-new-details-68mm-next-gen-squad-weapons.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 Oct 2018
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The U.S. Army's chief of staff said Monday that its 6.8mm, next-generation weapons, slated to replace the M249 squad automatic weapon and the M4A1 carbine, will be able to penetrate any body armor on the battlefield.

"It will fire at speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today, and it will penetrate any existing or known ... body armor that's out there," Gen. Mark Milley told Military.com at the 2018 Association of the United States Army's Annual Meeting and Exposition. "What I have seen so far from the engineers and the folks that put these things together, this is entirely technologically possible. ... It's a very good weapon."

 

Ok, lets look at this for a bit.

1. will be able to penetrate any existing or known body armor: well that isn't likely since our boys wear lvl IV. and even without looking around much, ar500's lvl IV has a rating of multi-hit protection against .30 caliber armor piercing (AP) bullets (U.S. Military designation M2 AP) with a specified mass of 10.8g (166gr) and a velocity of 2880 ft/s (+/- 30 ft/s), that's a 30-06 Springfield armor piercing round. so even with armor penetrators, you would need the bullets to be traveling at a very high velocity. 

2. speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today: ok, so they are going to design a new caliber probably, but still it is going to be hard to push a 6.8 bullet faster than what is already out there. not to mention it isn't like the military likes long barrels because they need to be more tactical. So what's going to need to happen to get that velocity and for it to be fast enough to penetrate any body armor, they are gonna need a bigger case or some advancement not known to the regular gun community. bigger case means less ammo capacity per mag and generally more overall weight for our troops. I think they would be hard pressed to beat most top armors out there with a 6.8mm penetrator in a .308 case. so right there they would have to jump to a whole larger frame of weapon, and that's if that size of round can beat it in the first place. 

I think all these articles are just food for the media and bullsh1t to my ears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:
8 Oct 2018
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The U.S. Army's chief of staff said Monday that its 6.8mm, next-generation weapons, slated to replace the M249 squad automatic weapon and the M4A1 carbine, will be able to penetrate any body armor on the battlefield.

"It will fire at speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today, and it will penetrate any existing or known ... body armor that's out there," Gen. Mark Milley told Military.com at the 2018 Association of the United States Army's Annual Meeting and Exposition. "What I have seen so far from the engineers and the folks that put these things together, this is entirely technologically possible. ... It's a very good weapon."

 

Ok, lets look at this for a bit.

1. will be able to penetrate any existing or known body armor: well that isn't likely since our boys wear lvl IV. and even without looking around much, ar500's lvl IV has a rating of multi-hit protection against .30 caliber armor piercing (AP) bullets (U.S. Military designation M2 AP) with a specified mass of 10.8g (166gr) and a velocity of 2880 ft/s (+/- 30 ft/s), that's a 30-06 Springfield armor piercing round. so even with armor penetrators, you would need the bullets to be traveling at a very high velocity. 

2. speeds that far exceed the velocity of bullets today: ok, so they are going to design a new caliber probably, but still it is going to be hard to push a 6.8 bullet faster than what is already out there. not to mention it isn't like the military likes long barrels because they need to be more tactical. So what's going to need to happen to get that velocity and for it to be fast enough to penetrate any body armor, they are gonna need a bigger case or some advancement not known to the regular gun community. bigger case means less ammo capacity per mag and generally more overall weight for our troops. I think they would be hard pressed to beat most top armors out there with a 6.8mm penetrator in a .308 case. so right there they would have to jump to a whole larger frame of weapon, and that's if that size of round can beat it in the first place. 

I think all these articles are just food for the media and bullsh1t to my ears. 

They have been saying this for yesrs lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I think all these articles are just food for the media and bullsh1t to my ears. 

Exactly.  I think the guy was a talking head, and someone fucked up the information given to him.  After the move to 6.5 for the distance rifles, some desk monkey preparing talking points and briefing notes put the wrong shiit in there...  It was a GIANT move to even consider .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor, let alone adopt the Creedmoor.  6.8 isn't getting into the regular inventory in the next few decades - it won't replace 5.56.  6.8 was played with before I even got out, and there were a few running around in arms rooms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi to all,

New here...  Signed up yesterday. Thought I should do that after reading of the articles on the 308AR... Great stuff from "98Z5V"

Learned a lot. Was having problems with my 308AR as many have had... 98Z5V cleared all that up...

So anyway, here I am. I won't be able to add much, but love the site.

Allen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 1500VHO said:

Hi to all,

New here...  Signed up yesterday. Thought I should do that after reading of the articles on the 308AR... Great stuff from "98Z5V"

Learned a lot. Was having problems with my 308AR as many have had... 98Z5V cleared all that up...

So anyway, here I am. I won't be able to add much, but love the site.

Allen

Let 98 know that. He doesn't often get the credit he deserves for the work he puts in. Welcome aboard.:thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Let 98 know that. He doesn't often get the credit he deserves for the work he puts in. Welcome aboard.:thumbup:

Thanks Sisco...  I have tried letting 98Z5Z know, but I guess he is real busy these days. The guy knows his stuff with regard to 308AR's...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shiit, you guys haven't met me.  Yet.  I'm just a normal guy, that likes the AR platform and concept.  When it screws you over on a build, you tend to find out why, so it doesn't happen to you again.  Read this handbook - I used to work with this guy:

https://soldiersystems.net/2008/08/26/m16m4-handbook/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@98Z5V is a real, normal guy.  I have met him. At the same time, he is the best friend you have yet to meet.  He will give you anything he has to offer and let virtual strangers stay at his house without question. 

He can also be your worst enemy.  If you are an ass, he will call you on it and not let you get away with it. 

He has the most knowledge of the AR platform of anyone I know.  That may be because I have not met @mrraley though.  :lmao:  He still needs to make it to a shoot with us one day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

That may be because I have not met @mrraley though.  :lmao:  He still needs to make it to a shoot with us one day.

 

You have NO IDEA how bad I wanna get some "Pat Raley & Me" going on at the campfire during a shoot.  NO IDEA...   I don't think anyone else would be safe...   :lmao::banana:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...