• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PT

Sisco

. I would be curious to hear what different members of different ages do to keep in shape and ward off the couch potato bulge.

US Army Ranger School will hook your a$s up in a hurry.  Not for the weak or faint hearted...  :banana: <thumbsup>

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the later stages of life, you will quickly realize that you only need to run if there is a bear behind you.  Everything else that might chase you, besides a bear, just needs to be shot. Fukc deer, too.  Shoot them every chance you get.  They'll wreck your life with a quickness.  Double tap them centermass, follow with a headshot.

If you really have to run from that bear (or deer), then you'll realize that you needed a bigger caliber firearm to begin with.  Go big, or go home, right from the start.

It saves alot of headache and heartbeats - and those heartbeats are limited.  Shoot early, then relax.  Enjoy life a little.  <thumbsup>

In the later stages of life, you will quickly realize that you only need to run if there is a bear BEAVER behind you.  Everything else that might chase you, besides a bear BEAVER, just needs to be shot. Fukc deer, too.  Shoot them every chance you get.  They'll wreck your life with a quickness.  Double tap them centermass, follow with a headshot.

If you really have to run from that bear BEAVER (or deer), then you'll realize that you needed a bigger caliber firearm to begin with.  Go big, or go home, right from the start.

It saves alot of headache and heartbeats - and those heartbeats are limited.  Shoot early, then relax.  Enjoy life a little.  <thumbsup>

Fixed it bro!

Edited by planeflyer21

• 4 weeks later...

well on a serious note it is tough as hell to stay in what I call shape after 50 I used to run 20 to 45 miles a week when I was 60 I ran a 1/2 marathon in 2 hours then I got Sick I have A.I.H. (auto Immune Hepititas ) that in it's self is not a huge thing it is the meds I have to take that suck monkey balls.... (Immune supressors) so anyway I have been trying for 4 years to figure out a way to stay in shape and I am failing horribly.... I eat pretty good food so I am not gaining weight BUT I have lost alot of muscle. so what I am doing is rock walking along the river and walking with a back pack and some weight in it , running exhausts me now and that pisses me off  I love running but my point is doing anything is better than doing nothing... Keep moving when you stop you are fubared.. eat healthy, cut the sugar and prossessed foods, eat lean meat and try if you can to stay away from beef and chicken unless it is organic to much steroids and antibiotics in commercial meat.... cardio is Life find a way to do it and do all you can... as a example when I was running my resting heart beat was 48 beats per min. now 4 years later it is 68 poop goes south in a hurry keep up on your health....

so what I am doing is rock walking along the river and walking with a back pack and some weight in it ,

Ruck marching.  <thumbsup>   Rucking is the best $hit on the planet, brother. 

I don't care how fast someone can run - if they can't ruck, I've got no time for them.  <dontknow>

What not to do: in the gym yesterday I got distracted talking to a young lady, didn't noticed I put four 50 pound plates on instead of four 25's. I lifted it off the rack Oh.... S.......! No wonder I am so sore today. Did do a five mile walk this morning with a pack. Now I am going to abuse my body at Christmas Eve dinner.

• 10 months later...

https://www.t-nation.com/training/predator-conditioning

(That's the conditioning half.) Personally, for conditioning, I do barbell complexes, bodyweight skiing exercise circuits, and I use a Prowler II several times a week in various ways (sprint light, push heavy, sets of sprints, finish rounds of complexes with single pushes, et cetera). Nothing beats a Prowler for conditioning.

I have a strength regimen and conditioning regimen as well as a rifle complex with a 25# plate. The rifle complex follows:

From a kneeling position with plate on floor, stand up while also raising plate. Kneel back down, alternating legs leading to standing up and kneeling. Stand up six times. On the sixth rep, hold the plate out for ten seconds, then press the plate in and out from the chest at shoulder height five times, then return to the floor. You can control all the variables. I usually do five sets of this with a 25# plate and one minute rests (~1:1 work:rest ratio). Sometimes I go light, use a ten pound plate, do more reps before the hold and press, and shorten the rests. 

For strength, currently I am training for ski season so there is a lot of unilateral leg work and lots of rotational core exercise. No matter what I am training for I always squat (front and back), press (overhead and bench), row, pull ups, lunge, power clean, and deadlift. The variations and other exercises are rotated in and out depending on the training goal. The rep schemes and weights also change depending on the goal.

I found that working on certain attributes per session got me better results with far less fatigue and injury than working on everything all the time (CrossFit). I have experience in powerlifting, olympic lifting, and general strength training. And now dry land training for skiing. For me, my best results have come from a six day microcycle: strength/condition/rest x 2. Squat on both strength days, and do some kind of upper body movement with it also. Then on conditioning days I do more sport specific work, accessory movements, and alternate days between aerobic, isometric/eccentric for skiing, and anaerobic. Next year, after ski season, I will return to max strength training (as opposed to high rep sub maximal weights). 

Last year I spent a lot of time on 5/3/1 and variants. If you need a straightforward strength training program then check out Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. But there are some methods of mine. I've also published some articles on EliteFTS.com if you want to read more.

http://www.elitefts.com/tag/cain-morano/

Let me direct your attention specifically to the article about injury free progress, originally titled, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Edited by perpetualwhitebelt

When I left active duty I swore to never run when I could walk and never walk when I could ride. Pushups were to be only done when on top of a willing female and pullups were to be avoided at all costs. I have been successful so far, and have gone from my 192 lb fighting weight to 270 lbs of what my wife calls "comfortable". My eyes are about shot, my muscles are gone (I prefer to think they are just hiding beneath the flab) and I am happy with my life. Some people are happy in retirement with a workout routine that a 20 year old would find difficult. I had a good friend who prided himself in his 20 mile runs. He even rode a bike from Georgia to Colorado. He died from a heart attack at age 38. So, I hold my recliner down all I can and enjoy my little life. I have enough memories to last me to the end.

When I left active duty I swore to never run when I could walk and never walk when I could ride. Pushups were to be only done when on top of a willing female and pullups were to be avoided at all costs. I have been successful so far, and have gone from my 192 lb fighting weight to 270 lbs of what my wife calls "comfortable". My eyes are about shot, my muscles are gone (I prefer to think they are just hiding beneath the flab) and I am happy with my life. Some people are happy in retirement with a workout routine that a 20 year old would find difficult. I had a good friend who prided himself in his 20 mile runs. He even rode a bike from Georgia to Colorado. He died from a heart attack at age 38. So, I hold my recliner down all I can and enjoy my little life. I have enough memories to last me to the end.

Don't forget to exercise those table muscles, chicken fried steak, mashed taters and gravy work for me and don't forget the pecan pie. there is a good chance for a hard workout next Thursday Nov the 26th, forget Black Friday, stay home and relapse.  

toonvectors-38728-940.jpg 

• 3 years later...

A four year old thread, but after six surgeries in five years, I am back in the gym again and just passed my one year anniversary with no damn surgeries. I am starting out light, -bench presses, dumbell curls, abdominal core training, reverse tricep curls,  and isolation curls, plus bicycling everyday different distances. Still curious what everyone else is doing to keep father time at bay. 

keep on it bro! I notice when i get up it takes ten steps for the feet to stop hurting from contact.. my dr.years are here and im not looking to be down at any rate! so pt is work! and more work through the pain! I did 100 + days straight early this year and its done now to find away to be stress free!