• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PT

Sisco

6 hours ago, Sisco said:

abdominal core training,

And that truly is the core, right there.  With core strength, you can do anything.

I'm still not going to run unless a bear is chasing me. Fuk it, shoot everything else.  Well, let's add one to that - I'll run if I'm being chased by a CrazyAss Blonde.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

And that truly is the core, right there.  With core strength, you can do anything.

I'm still not going to run unless a bear is chasing me. Fuk it, shoot everything else.  Well, let's add one to that - I'll run if I'm being chased by a CrazyAss Blonde.

One of those surgeries last year fused the joints in my big toe, as all the cartilege had been shredded by bone spurs, so I couldn’t run anymore if I had to. Ditto for my left ankle a month later. the good news is I can still walk and bike.

11 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I would add some weight training to your legs too. You don’t have to do crazy weight but dead lifts (proper form!) and lunges with dumb bells will hit the important areas. If you can squat too.

9 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Concept 2 mod.E rower. Average 5k meters on 30 min.  so far

Both good ideas. Thank you. Squats and dead lifts are out however. Neurosurgeons  orders. Back surgery was four years ago. I have a 14 speed bike that I use one speed on. I just leave it at the gearing with the most resistance to work the legs. I used to have a rower, I will check that Concept 2 out.

6 hours ago, Sisco said:

Both good ideas. Thank you. Squats and dead lifts are out however. Neurosurgeons  orders. Back surgery was four years ago. I have a 14 speed bike that I use one speed on. I just leave it at the gearing with the most resistance to work the legs. I used to have a rower, I will check that Concept 2 out.

I am not sure about your level of fitness but when dealing with injuries I have always fell back on progressive calisthenics type stuff with HIIT and jogging mixed in.

This is all free stuff and goes over setting up a routine with progressions for calisthenics. It is geared around strength training but the whole concept is based off gymnastics progressions.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/about-start-bodyweight-program.html?m=1

• 2 months later...

Update: Now that the opportunity has presented itself and my body has healed a year and a half removed from all my surgeries,  I started serious weight training in November. No big weights, staying at a max 200 pounds x 10 reps x 4 sets on the bench presses, and all the other exercises in proportion. Also at 70 have resumed training in Uechi-ryu. As a concession to my age, I no longer spar, but concentrate on katas and in-fighting exercises. The PT definitely has helped my handgun accuracy. My grip on that pistol is solid, even the 44 Magnum. I am shooting a minimum of once a week. Finally getting all the shooting I want!

Edited by Sisco

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Update: Now that the opportunity has presented itself and my body has healed a year and a half removed from all my surgeries,  I started serious weight training in November. No big weights, staying at a max 200 pounds x 10 reps x 4 sets on the bench presses, and all the other exercises in proportion. Also at 70 have resumed training in Uechi-ryu. As a concession to my age, I no longer spar, but concentrate on katas and in-fighting exercises. The PT definitely has helped my handgun accuracy. My grip on that pistol is solid, even the 44 Magnum. I am shooting a minimum of once a week. Finally getting all the shooting I want!

This entire announcement terrifies me - you're big enough already, man!!!   :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Exercise what is it?is it something we do as humans because we do not have a life style that keeps us in shape? is it because we now have every, type of machine that does our work for us? before I got sick I loved to run nothing big nothing fast 20 to 25 miles a week at 9 min pace but I am almost 70 now and I have all my life been very very fit I was a timber faller for 25 years and basically did 6 to 7 hours of cardio with a 25 lb chain saw and 15 lbs of axe, wedges etc etc 5 days a week I was so fit I could eat 3 to 4 thousand calories a day and never gain a oz because on my off days I was scouting for elk ,hiking, camping cutting fire wood or some other thing that kept me in shape which brings me to my point have a life that keeps you in shape you can not make in shape in a gym or anywhere else it is a state of being you do all you can do it is not about how many or how far it is do it each and every day..... I can still pack 100lb elk quarters for miles not as fast but i get there. A life of fitness in both body and mind will pay big dividends later in life and also you will have issues from wearing stuff out but hey think of all the stuff you did in your life and drink a beer and smile......

On 2/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, Magwa said:

Exercise what is it?is it something we do as humans because we do not have a life style that keeps us in shape? is it because we now have every, type of machine that does our work for us? before I got sick I loved to run nothing big nothing fast 20 to 25 miles a week at 9 min pace but I am almost 70 now and I have all my life been very very fit I was a timber faller for 25 years and basically did 6 to 7 hours of cardio with a 25 lb chain saw and 15 lbs of axe, wedges etc etc 5 days a week I was so fit I could eat 3 to 4 thousand calories a day and never gain a oz because on my off days I was scouting for elk ,hiking, camping cutting fire wood or some other thing that kept me in shape which brings me to my point have a life that keeps you in shape you can not make in shape in a gym or anywhere else it is a state of being you do all you can do it is not about how many or how far it is do it each and every day..... I can still pack 100lb elk quarters for miles not as fast but i get there. A life of fitness in both body and mind will pay big dividends later in life and also you will have issues from wearing stuff out but hey think of all the stuff you did in your life and drink a beer and smile......

Said it all friend. Stuff wears out, but it wears out faster if you don’t use it. Hauling logs ruined my back, but made me strong as an ox. Back is fixed, got some pains, but I am in better shape at 70 then I was at 65. Surgeons fixed what they could, learn to live with what they can’t.

You fuckers impress me, like you have no idea.  I mean that.  I'm running down on 51 in month or so, and Ive abused my body so bad it's not even funny.  The shiit I've done to myself, I didn't realize, when I was doing it, and I'm paying for it.  Neck and back.  I'll never stop - you can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me, but I'm slower now than I was before - and that pisses me off. Everytime I slow down, I only want to get stronger, just to overcome what made me slow down.  I never had to battle this before, a I'm trying to find new ways to beat it down.  I hate it.

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering “WTF happened?”.

Some of us didn’t have the opportunity in our work years to live an outdoor life, so gyms are the next best thing. Still are at certain times. Give me a choice between being outside and a gym, I will take the outside. 

You can’t beat aging, but you can adapt to it. Just don’t let it win until the race is over.

18 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You fuckers impress me, like you have no idea.  I mean that.  I'm running down on 51 in month or so, and Ive abused my body so bad it's not even funny.  The shiit I've done to myself, I didn't realize, when I was doing it, and I'm paying for it.  Neck and back.  I'll never stop - you can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me, but I'm slower now than I was before - and that pisses me off. Everytime I slow down, I only want to get stronger, just to overcome what made me slow down.  I never had to battle this before, a I'm trying to find new ways to beat it down.  I hate it.

Brother take it from me don't fight it learn to beat it at it's own game, it pisses me off too but I am learning it can not win I will keep moving till I am gone eff it and the horse it road in on in the end death wins every time but you have to say not today I am to busy Fuking and hunting and fishing and being me catch me later!

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, Sisco said:

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering “WTF happened?”.

Some of us didn’t have the opportunity in our work years to live an outdoor life, so gyms are the next best thing. Still are at certain times. Give me a choice between being outside and a gym, I will take the outside. 

You can’t beat aging, but you can adapt to it. Just don’t let it win until the race is over.

I've read the thread,  great stuff.  Sisco inspired me a bit.  66 right now,  sat around for four years so far and my arms have turned to fluff compared to what they were.  Not a small guy in any way, just more wriggle room in the skin.  You got me thinking,  I was super stressed out the last five years of work and developed paroxysmal a-fib.  Would go into spells four times a week.  Felt like I was doing a marathon while sitting still,  expecting to die at any moment.  That has gone for the last few relaxing years in retirement.  That fear kept me away from exerting my self.  I was a plumber on large buildings walking staircases all day and carrying gear up and down.  When I lift a shotgun and feel the weight which is what, 9lbs and it feels heavy,  I'm sucking wind.  Going to a 308 at 9-10 pounds and trying to have a good time,  I need some more muscle and doing couch box stands,  kidding here,  to get another ice pop isn't my idea of tangling with mother nature,  or helping my muscles.  Going to the gym,  I'll figure out the best way,  I just wanted to thank you for your posts.

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

I've read the thread,  great stuff.  Sisco inspired me a bit.  66 right now,  sat around for four years so far and my arms have turned to fluff compared to what they were.  Not a small guy in any way, just more wriggle room in the skin.  You got me thinking,  I was super stressed out the last five years of work and developed paroxysmal a-fib.  Would go into spells four times a week.  Felt like I was doing a marathon while sitting still,  expecting to die at any moment.  That has gone for the last few relaxing years in retirement.  That fear kept me away from exerting my self.  I was a plumber on large buildings walking staircases all day and carrying gear up and down.  When I lift a shotgun and feel the weight which is what, 9lbs and it feels heavy,  I'm sucking wind.  Going to a 308 at 9-10 pounds and trying to have a good time,  I need some more muscle and doing couch box stands,  kidding here,  to get another ice pop isn't my idea of tangling with mother nature,  or helping my muscles.  Going to the gym,  I'll figure out the best way,  I just wanted to thank you for your posts.

Well thank you, but I am not the best role model. I add 30 pounds and drop it all the time. As I live in two places I have to adapt to what I have available, and quit eating so damn much. 6 months of the year I have a nice gym to work out in. I am working to set up a schedule for the other 6 months. More long distance walking, pretty much just dumbbell weights, and starting to work on my martial arts katas again. To look at me, I am fat, but I do exercise. From a front or back view I look fine. From the side you can see my mammoth gut. My goal is to just keep plugging at losing it.

As far as that cardiovascular condition,  it isn’t associated with  a bigemeny arrythmia, is it? My wife was just diagnosed with that. She would go in to spells a few times a week of an irregular pulse.. Her cardiologist said it was non fatal, and it is being controlled with a beta blocker. He just told her to live her life, and get exercise, and lay off caffeine and alcohol.

I would suggest you have your cardiologist and a physical therapist lay out an exercise program that take into account your situation. Might be surprised how vigorous it is. Some People with heart conditions can still be okayed to run marathons.

my battle is with arthritis and associated bone spurs. Five surgeries to remove bone spurs and counting. My right big toe is now fused so I can’t run anymore, but I can bicycle and walk. And because of spinal stenosis and bone spurs, no squats or overhead presses with weights. But I find things I can do. And right now I am going to split to the gun range for some Range Therapy, which is my favorite.

Couch stands are actually better than you think. Better from a kitchen chair. If you want some ideas I’m always available. I kicked my own ass two days ago with bosu ball squats with a 110 lb dumbbell and walking lunges with 135 lb. I’m younger than you guys and have a physical job (and hobbies). PT is more than a hobby and I’ve seen quite a few different variations and ideas. Anything is better than nothing and surprisingly a lot can be done from home with no extra gizmos or gadgets

Edited by edgecrusher
Auto correct is annoying

54 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Couch stands are actually better than you think. Better from a kitchen chair. If you want some ideas I’m always available. I kicked my own ass two days ago with bosu ball squats with a 110 lb dumbbell and walking lunges with 135 lb. I’m younger than you guys and have a physical job (and hobbies). PT is more than a hobby and I’ve seen quite a few different variations and ideas. Anything is better than nothing and surprisingly a lot can be done from home with no extra gizmos or gadgets

This is the man to listen to.

Hear you loud and clear.  I accept ideas.  I do not like the idea of going gently into the good night.  Or whatever the correct line is.  I'm down for some self propelled ass whooping.  I went on the treadmill for 1/10th mile and the outside of my legs became tight and tired,  stopped for a moment and continued.  Did biceps with light weight and was surprised at my lack of strength.  So yeah I'm open for suggestions!  I understand box squats by the way.  My couch stands jokingly referring to getting off my duff for another snack.  Did go to gym,  did realize my loses,  and do want to never be in this bad shape again.

• 1 month later...

Trying not to be so fat, I road my bike up the road the other night to get some sun set pix and realized I’m a fat outta shape Viking. After a long hot day of work I got my fat ass on my bike and peddled for awhile, starting out slow. 

Did 8 miles at work, up and down a couple ship ladders and then 3 miles on the bike. I haven’t weighed myself in awhile but I know I’m plus 240 probably closer to 250 which is the heaviest I’ve ever been. 

528FE50F-2939-4629-9B59-B36C247D1CF2.jpeg

99150C4B-B196-483E-B0E5-8D777F876103.jpeg

Edited by shepp