• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Travel With Firearms

Morgan

I would really like to know how everyone handles travel preparations, with firearms. What type of case? How much ammunition is allowed with the weapon? TSA nightmares at the check in counter? Insurance? Baggage handlers knowing what's inside? Locks and number of them?

With all of these problems in mind, how is anyone able to sleep nights, before the trip?

Please share your recommendations and stories so that those of us who will be faced with this will be in the know.

I want to travel with an LR 308 and another long rifle, both with scopes, in the same case.

I bought a Cabela's branded case that holds both well, after cutting out the recess area for the weapons and magazines. Loaded, it weighs just shy of 50lbs. CAB-44 tactical case.

Pictures are available, if the discussion takes off.

Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baggage handlers knowing what's inside?

The Bag Smashers and Ramp Monkeys will know EXACTLY what is inside your locked bag, when they see that it does not have "TSA Approved Locks" on it.  They KNOW it's firearms or ammunition.

No other person that flies is allowed to use non-TSA Approved Locks.  If you fly a firearm or ammunition in your checked baggage, you're not allowed to use TSA Approved Locks, and most importantly YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT'S ALLOWED TO HAVE KEYS TO IT.  Don't let the fuckheads at the airport tell you any different.  If you don't have the law memorized and can quote it, print a copy and keep it on you.  Do not be afraid to tell them that they are wrong, if they say otherwise. 

There's an aweful lot of fuckheads employed by TSA.  I'm just sayin'...

Edited by 98Z5V

The Bag Smashers and Ramp Monkeys will know EXACTLY what is inside your locked bag, when they see that it does not have "TSA Approved Locks" on it.  They KNOW it's firearms or ammunition.

No other person that flies is allowed to use non-TSA Approved Locks.  If you fly a firearm or ammunition in your checked baggage, you're not allowed to use TSA Approved Locks, and most importantly YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT'S ALLOWED TO HAVE KEYS TO IT.  Don't let the fuckheads at the airport tell you any different.  If you don't have the law memorized and can quote it, print a copy and keep it on you.  Do not be afraid to tell them that they are wrong, if they say otherwise. 

There's an aweful lot of fuckheads employed by TSA.  I'm just sayin'...

This guy knows what is up....... <thumbsup>    I occasionally have to travel commercially with my long weapons and you need to know your stuff before you get to the counter.  The ignorance of the law that some employees at the airports possess is very convincing.  

Edited by StainTrain

Sorry about your bad experience, Edge. Care to elaborate a little more please? This should be a great place to copy and paste that law, as written, 98Z5V. I looked at the pelican cases. This particular one appears just as sturdy on the outside and 3 generous sections of foam on the inside, look like it will hold the arms fast. You have to custom cut the middle layer to place your equipment inside. It has spots for 4 locks on the opening side and looks meaty enough to place one at both ends, if you drill holes in the mating bosses. I don't know if this is a new product offering. Anyone else own this particular case yet?

Well if you guys want to pitch in on an official 308AR private airplane, I'll gladly fly you all over the contiguous USA for a small annual retainer, with your firearms AND ammo, tannerite, skanky women, alcohol, and whatever else you can think of hauling.

Enough of you pitch in and we can get a small "cargo" plane with a ramp at the back for motorcycles or quads.  Think CASA 212 or Shorts SkyVan.

Contact Matt to make donations, with the message subject "308AR Airplane".

Put a GPS tracker in the case.

This is a simple, and inexpensive, type of insurance. A surveillance type tracker can be bought on amazon for $50-$150.  You can real-time track the package from your smartphone. You could get real creative on how you conceal them too. Not just tossing it in the case, but maybe inside an empty magazine or fake box of ammo 

This should be a great place to copy and paste that law, as written, 98Z5V.

Here's a start - dig into the regulations, and print copies of the regulations - don't print a webpage.  Make sense? 

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Another comprehensive article:

http://www.wikihow.com/Travel-on-Airplanes-With-a-Gun

TSA approved locks, 98Z5V? You cannot use your own? What if you make that mistake?

DO NOT USE the stupid TSA locks!  You cannot - they won't let it on the aircraft with TSA locks on it.

Militarily, we always used Pelican cases and Hardigg cases. The two companies have kinda combined now.  It's unpossible to fuk up a Hardigg case. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Well if you guys want to pitch in on an official 308AR private airplane, I'll gladly fly you all over the contiguous USA for a small annual retainer, with your firearms AND ammo, tannerite, skanky women, alcohol, and whatever else you can think of hauling.

Enough of you pitch in and we can get a small "cargo" plane with a ramp at the back for motorcycles or quads.  Think CASA 212 or Shorts SkyVan.

Contact Matt to make donations, with the message subject "308AR Airplane".

I think your onto something, what happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas lol

Ok, I am not a Cabela's lackey, but here are the pics of the new travel case. Attributes are 44" long and 15" wide. Billed as a 2 gun case and pic shows what I did to customize for travel. As stated before, 3 layers of foam. The center one, you cut and trim for your weapons. I could not find a suitable one by Pelican, at the 2 retail stores I went to. The case weighs a full 25lbs as is and loaded with the 2 weapons, is damn near 50lbs. With the wheels, it does drag easily.

post-15445-0-66463700-1420315963_thumb.j

post-15445-0-76264600-1420316150_thumb.j

Edited by Morgan