• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z5V's Marlin 1895 GBL

98Z5V

I've tried to look up that short rifle , I don't see it listed any where on Marlin's web sight . Don't they make it any more , they only show 18" bbl's.  <dontknow>

You'll specifically have to search for the "Trapper" models - those are the ones Jon is talking about, and in the link above.

https://www.google.com/#q=Marlin+1895+Trapper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do , but just like the Colt Python , its not going to happen at the prices they will go for . A couple of my fellow hunters in Ohio have went to the Browning in 450 Marlin , the brownings have a Box Mag. , interesting cartridge & rifle . Big $$ too .

Sure is nice Ohio is letting you use a Straight wall rifle cartridge now , not that the rifled slug barrels in shotguns didn't work well, but the 12 gage Sabo round has its limitations . I have been stretching my DSG out to it max range the last couple of years with 150 + yard shots . Now with the 45-70 , 200+ is doable . <thumbsup>

Its mainly no Bottle neck cartridges , the 45-70 & the others do have a slight taper to them , I think 45-70 goes from 0.495" at the base of the wall ( not the rim ) to 0.480" at the neck . I think its just the terminology ODNR uses for the masses .

I'll have to look up the list . Hay, its a big improvement from a Shotgun slug . I can't wait to sling some Buff bullets at them Deer cong !   <thumbsup>

So you guys can't use rifles at all in the state? Used to be in Wisconsin no rifles below a certain highway. Since the CWD eradication they made the whole state rifle, which is nice but frankly it's kinda dangerous down here where I live

Nope, not in O-HI-O.  Growing up as a kid there, it was Bow Season, and Shotgun Season.  Only.  Rifles were never legal for deer.  All this new "straight wall cartridge" stuff is new.  Bow or shotgun is the history - if you wanted to rifle hunt, you went to  neighboring state...

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

So, basically, you can hunt deer with a rifle as long as it's chambered in either a revolver round or a 150 year old buffalo load? That makes SO much sense....

So, basically, you can hunt deer with a rifle as long as it's chambered in either a revolver round or a 150 year old buffalo load? That makes SO much sense....

It's all about "safety" like I said before they need to put southern wi back into shot gun only again. I know a lot of people with new dime quarter sized holes in out buildings and what not because stupid people with rifles shooting at a brown and white streak have missed

500 gr. in my NEF 45-70 would probably kick my a$$ , the 325's are bad enough . <laughs>  I think those are loaded down some what from the Hornady fodder . On the 450 Marlin , Hornady is there only one that makes the ammo for it , they developed it for Marlin. The base of the case has a Magnum rim on it so it can not be loaded in 45-70 chambered rifles . 

325 gr. Hornady & 300 gr. Remington

post-11255-0-19049100-1437905265_thumb.j

Edited by survivalshop

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This thread is epic - seeing Ernie in here commenting ... it brings a tear to my eye, literally, not kidding.  I miss that guy something fierce.

We Double-Tag-Teamed Drew @imschur regularly - OFF THE TOP ROPE, BABY!!!  Drew never stood a chance, against our Wonder Twin Powers.  We cost that fucker alot - ALOT - of money...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V