• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What else can cause my rifle to jump when fired?

1survivor1

I have a RRA LAR-8 Varmint for about a year now and have had problems with muzzle jump. I am not flenching. I have changed out the bipod and helped a little. I shoot at the rang that has concrete benches, but I use a sand bag under the bipod. I have tryed useing a bag insted of the bipod but still jumps at the muzzle.

I do reload my own ammo and have tryed useing less powders and different variation. It does not hinder me from getting good groups as you can see by my four shot group at 200 yds. see pics

Is there anything else I can try to tame it with out a muzzle brake.

RRA LAR-8 Varmint

Operator A2 stock

Blackhawk Travers Bipod

TRO free float rail

post-15532-0-12199000-1420495908_thumb.j

post-15532-0-71095700-1420495908_thumb.j

I have a RRA LAR-8 Varmint for about a year now and have had problems with muzzle jump.

Have heard most say they can shoot and see there impact on target. Would like to see mine as well if possible.

I own a rra predator and it a jumper as well! Try Heavybuffers.com this will help a little but end route is probably adding a break or tying it down

Thanks for your input.

Any other sugestion?

Looks like you're ignoring your suggestions. 

You need a different muzzle device, first. 

You could have your barrel threaded, man, and it would be alot cheaper than buying a new barrel.  There are several good AR Gunsmiths out there in the country that you can send your upper to, and they'll do it.  If you removed your barrel first and just shipped it, it would be even cheaper. ADCO comes to mind first.

Almost any muzzle device you install will help, over the setup you have now.  Any kind of comp or brake.  The good thing is, if you get one and don't like it, sell it and get another design. 

Edited by 98Z5V

When a rifle jumps off target like that, its usually an issue with your form and how your set up behind the rifle. Try "loading" your bi-pod instead of using a sand bag rest. Your grouping is good which tells me you have trigger control and breathing down. Also try prone if you are allowed. In doing so, it gives you a more weight on and behind the rifle when driving the rifle.

Edited by Zebra644

Let me see if I can explain it, basically your putting pressure on the bi-pod by using the rubber feet against the surface and pushing forward on it. Get the rifle ready to shoot safety on. With your hand on the pistol grip dip the muzzle down at the ground and pull the but pad into your shoulder then level the rifle out and push gently forward. Let the bi-pod feet catch on the surface. Bi-Pod hop is another term for the jumping issue you are having. Its easier to show than describe if you You Tube How To Load Your Bi-Pod a Snipers Hide Video should pop up it will show / explain it. 

Edited by Zebra644

I have the rra lar-8 varmint. At 200 with my loads it would jump almost a full sheet of plywood threw the scope. I made my own heavy buffer. Removed all weights and spacers and filled it with extra heavy tungsten powder, Tubbs flatwire spring and that helped some but the jp recoil eliminator put it over the top. It's the loudest thing around but as gentle as a .223 in my opinion. Now all I need to do to watch the shots appear on target is not blink. I've also shot the jp Cooley on the same rifle with the same hand loads and it is a close second to the recoil eliminator.