• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What else can cause my rifle to jump when fired?

1survivor1

• 5 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2015 at 4:25 PM, 1survivor1 said:

I have a RRA LAR-8 Varmint for about a year now and have had problems with muzzle jump. I am not flenching. I have changed out the bipod and helped a little. I shoot at the rang that has concrete benches, but I use a sand bag under the bipod. I have tryed useing a bag insted of the bipod but still jumps at the muzzle.

I do reload my own ammo and have tryed useing less powders and different variation. It does not hinder me from getting good groups as you can see by my four shot group at 200 yds. see pics

Is there anything else I can try to tame it with out a muzzle brake.

RRA LAR-8 Varmint

Operator A2 stock

Blackhawk Travers Bipod

TRO free float rail

post-15532-0-12199000-1420495908_thumb.j

post-15532-0-71095700-1420495908_thumb.j

Does it jump on every shot or every now & then?  Many firearms are very sensitive to ammo, you need to find out what shoots best with less jump, such as differing brands.  I only shoot Hornady .308 Match ammo when shooting pro. (match is 168 grain bullet) also same brand for 5.56 x 45 & 50 cal. .  One thing that you can do is what ever brand take cartridges & weigh them, only shooting ones with same wt. or very close for match shooting, rest use for fun.  Another issue is barrel  harmonics can drive one nuts, want bullet to exit barrel on top or bottom of sine wave, prefer null just as bullet leaves barrel a silly MM can make a difference.  Many ways to solve harmonic issues.  If you don't want to do all this, remove what ever is on end of barrel & replace with high quality muzzle brake remember this can also change harmonics.  Can also change to a hydraulic buffer/spring set up, make sure rifle functions properly. Success is where you find but must try one thing at a time, all are related.  One of the worst rifles for accuracy was due harmonics I machined a sliding wt. for the barrel till I reduced harmonics as stated above.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, LGA said:

Can also change to a hydraulic buffer/spring set up,

That's some piss-poor advice, right there.  You Don't Complicate Shiit with Complicated Shiit.  Hydraulic "buffers" are what lifters are - leave them in a pushrod engine, where they're submersed in oil.  Not in a firearm.  Being in the Major Japanese/US motorcycle industry - how many Major Japanese/US motorcycles still use pushrod engines with hydraulic lifters?...  Chew on that, from your experience...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 1/4/2021 at 11:25 PM, 98Z5V said:

That's some piss-poor advice, right there.  You Don't Complicate Shiit with Complicated Shiit.  Hydraulic "buffers" are what lifters are - leave them in a pushrod engine, where they're submersed in oil.  Not in a firearm.  Being in the Major Japanese/US motorcycle industry - how many Major Japanese/US motorcycles still use pushrod engines with hydraulic lifters?...  Chew on that, from your experience...   :popcorn:

Some stuff is like a really sore dick, You just don't wanna fuk with it!👍