• Jard
    • JP
    • Timney

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just installed a single stage Jard in my LR308 and I am very happy with it so far.  I have been using these triggers in ar15s for several years, but since this is my first 308, I have not got to try one out.  The trigger is very smooth and breaks nice at about 1.5lbs.  The first time I fired the rifle with the new trigger I got a double tap because I wasn't holding the gun, I just had it resting on the bags and was trying to pull a nice group with some freshly loaded 150smks.  I have since shot it several times with no more double taps, I just have to make sure I'm holding the rifle (slight pressure)  I went with the 1.5lb spring and I would suggest a little more, I think I am going to order a 2 or 2.5 lb spring for it.  I have always used the 1.5lb springs with no trouble, but with the heavier recoil of the 308 it makes double taps a lot more likely. 

• 1 month later...

I just finished installing a Jard single stage 2 lb trigger in my LR-308. I'm waiting for the locktite to set. A couple observations. The instructions aren't very good. They say to apply locktite to all the screws and then start adjusting, but the locktite sets before you are finished, making adjusting very difficult. you might want to install the trigger and then carefully remove the screws counting the turns, apply the locktite then return to the preset position. The over travel screw is under the hammer making it impossible to adjust with the hammer in the receiver. I took the hammer spring off and used a close fitting pin punch to install and remove the hammer while slowly adjusting the over travel screw. That way you don't have to fight the J spring putting the hammer in and out. The sear engagement screw uses the grip screw hole and the suggested 7/8 turn is too much and leaves the trigger creepy, you will probably want to experiment with it to find a setting that is creep free yet safe. The short screw they give you to install the grip was too short for my after market grip and I ended up using the screw that came with the grip. I thought the engagement surfaces were pretty rough for a target trigger, If you have the right stones you might want to polish the sear and the disconnector before installation to save a lot of break in. When first installed my trigger pull was light but with a lot of creep. I backed off the sear engagement screw a little at a time testing to make sure the hammer wouldn't jar off. Then I started cocking the hammer by hand and pulling the trigger and after about 50-100 cycles it smoothed out and became almost creepless. I think with use it will get even better. I'll try to shoot it tomorrow and give a range report.

I shot the new trigger yesterday. It still has a little creep in it. My groups didn't show much improvement but I'm still learning the trigger. Had a couple oops where the trigger broke before I was ready. Met an old service rifle shooter on the range and he advised to put a little JB bore paste on the contact surfaces and excercise the heck out of it. I did that today and it seems to be breaking creep free now. I'll try it on the range tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody use the Timney AR 10 trigger? I just hooked up to this site and love it! unfortunately I installed a Timney before getting any info on any other triggers. I plan on doing a build on DPMS platform, but the one I currently have installed is the Timney. Is there anyone with any thoughts on this. Any recommendations for the build? All info is greatly appreciated.

<thumbsup>

My 10T was running the ArmaLite two stage match trigger. My GA Precision A4 had a Jewell in it. It was much nicer then the factory ArmaLite. I didn't have any issues with it, but others have reported it being less then ideal as a field trigger.

I'm thinking strongly of sending my POF off to Williams Trigger Specialties for one of their Set Trigger options. Unset the trigger is a clean single stage four pounds, set it's in ounces...I shot a friends rifle with their trigger work in it and it was very very sweet...The price is actually a little less then some of the higher end replacement triggers, as well.

• 4 months later...

As of 4:10pm, est, I just finished installing a Timney #670 4lb pull trigger. After reassembly of the rifle I had to try to out. I am very pleased to report that it was as clean and crisp of a trigger I I have ever used or would want. it broke at 4 lbs on the money every shot, give or take .01 of an ounce. It wasn't cheap, over $200, but worth ever single penny in my opinion. Very well built very easy to install.

My best friend had recently installed the ATC SR Gold a few weeks ago. I had the chance to put a few rounds downrange with his rifle before he redeployed to Iraq this past Monday. I really liked it too, but to be honest I wouldn't say their was a difference worth discussing between the two.

Timney should really be on your list of "contenders".

Yep, for the most part.  Superlight hammer springs might be the way to go, especially if you're shooting mil-surp ammo, though.   <thumbsup>

BIG EDIT!!!  Meant to say:

Superlight hammer springs might NOT be the way to go, especially if you're shooting mil-surp ammo, though.

Hope you didn't pick up a trigger with super light hammer springs, based from what I said - if so, I'll buy it from you for the hassle, and put it in one of my 5.56 guns.  <dontknow> <thumbsup>

• 8 months later...

Ok after reading thru this thread along with everything else I have found on the web about this trigger, I'm ALMOST convinced to put one in my Mega Ma Ten build. I'm a big fan of Wilson Combat single stage triggers for my 5.56 rifles, does anyone have any "hands on experience" with this trigger and the WC for comparison..? Also... having not had one of these in my hands yet, can this unit be unassembled..? I'm probably going to want to do something about the color of that gold trigger...

Ok after reading thru this thread along with everything else I have found on the web about this trigger, I'm ALMOST convinced to put one in my Mega Ma Ten build. I'm a big fan of Wilson Combat single stage triggers for my 5.56 rifles, does anyone have any "hands on experience" with this trigger and the WC for comparison..? Also... having not had one of these in my hands yet, can this unit be unassembled..? I'm probably going to want to do something about the color of that gold trigger...

Wilson recommended to me to NOT use their trigger in a 308. The only reasons they gave were it was not designed or tested in the 308 application. Not sure if maybe there's a hammer/bcg interference issue. Are you aware of anyone running these in the 308?

Wilson recommended to me to NOT use their trigger in a 308. The only reasons they gave were it was not designed or te :( :(sted in the 308 application. Not sure if maybe there's a hammer/bcg interference issue. Are you aware of anyone running these in the 308?

Not that I know of... but Ill check into that as well. If this gold trigger is really as good as all the chatter, then its a no brainer I would say. I think Ill have to try one out. The gold color has to go tho...

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys  Ive got four rr nm triggers installed in assorted ar's and they for the money are fairly nice triggers.So, this last 308 build I cowboy up and spend twice the money on the geislie ssa enhanced whatever trigger thats supposed to be the candy cane ice like super second stage break.. No freakin way....ive never been dissapointed in a component like I have with this trigger. I called tech they said it needs breakin..ok its broke in .. I lined up three of my rr ar's along side this one.... and in a blindfold test you couldnt tell the difference....Yes I did get emails from Bill himself telling me his trigger has got the fine second stage break,but so does rr he said...sooo im paying twice as much for the same  trigger....YIKES!    <dontknow>  Wash

• 1 month later...

Wilson recommended to me to NOT use their trigger in a 308. The only reasons they gave were it was not designed or tested in the 308 application. Not sure if maybe there's a hammer/bcg interference issue. Are you aware of anyone running these in the 308?

The Wilson website now says the TTU is DPMS LR-308 compatible.  Anyone try it and can anyone compare it to the ATC SR Gold?  I've recently committed to my first LR-308 compatible build and these two triggers are the front runners.  I have the AR Gold in my AR-15 and it gives me complete confidence that any problems with accuracy are not trigger related.  Btw, is it true that the SR Gold has a longer trigger pull than the AR Gold.

Lastly, 'imschur' in your photos some of the pics look like it shows the SR Gold hammer having pits in the metal.  Please tell me this is not so.  My AR Gold is machined flawlessly.

American_Trigger_SR_Gold_rt-1.jpg

Hi Guys  Ive got four rr nm triggers installed in assorted ar's and they for the money are fairly nice triggers.So, this last 308 build I cowboy up and spend twice the money on the geislie ssa enhanced whatever trigger thats supposed to be the candy cane ice like super second stage break.. No freakin way....ive never been dissapointed in a component like I have with this trigger. I called tech they said it needs breakin..ok its broke in .. I lined up three of my rr ar's along side this one.... and in a blindfold test you couldnt tell the difference....Yes I did get emails from Bill himself telling me his trigger has got the fine second stage break,but so does rr he said...sooo im paying twice as much for the same  trigger....YIKES!    <dontknow>  Wash

Sent it back to them , I know my SSA trigger is beautiful.

This is the first bad experience I have heard about there trigger system .