• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Suggested Barrel Configurations

We have a number of stock model .308 AR barrels in development, but we're always open to input regarding barrel selection. If enough requests are received for a particular configuration not currently in production, we would be more than happy to add that model to our product lineup. The below models are currently in development:

Stainless Steel:

16" Mid-Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

16" Mid-Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist, Nitrided

18" Mid-Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

18" Mid-Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist, Nitrided

18" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

18" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist, Nitrided

20" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-11 Twist

20" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-11 Twist, Nitrided

22" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-11 Twist

22" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-11 Twist, Nitrided

Chrome Moly/Chrome Lined:

16" Mid-Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

18" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

18" Mid-Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

20" Rifle Length, .308 M118 LR, 1-10 Twist

Each of these barrels will be DPMS pattern and hand lapped to ensure maximum bore uniformity. We look forward to reviewing your suggestions and recommendations!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you mind elaborating on why you offer 18" in both mid and rifle lengths? What's the benefit of having a mid-length on that long of a barrel?

I'd also love to see some 16" rifle-gassed barrels.

I wholeheartedly second blue's suggestion for a LW 16" barrel with rifle-length gas system. 2014 was year of introducing .308ARs. The trend for mid-2015 through 2016 is going to be how to get the weight down on them.

Correct. These barrels are all a hybrid (lightweight/medium) contour. It's somewhat similar to our Hybrid AR-15 barrels, but sized up to accommodate the larger cartridge. It seems as though a 16" rifle length model should be in order. I'm going to send the feedback we have been receiving for that configuration to the boss tomorrow and see if we can get that added to the mix.

16" Rifle gas M118LR would be a fabulous addition to that lineup - I hope the boss goes for it.

For the mainstream public, you should get ahold of Clint at Fulton, and let him know that we could have sold several of his MW profile 16" rifle gas barrels in the past few years, if he would stock them again.  That barrel was always a winner.  He should consider stocking a few at a time, all the time.  We'll make sure they get sold for him.  <thumbsup>

What about a nitrided CMV option?  Ferric Nitrocarborization (Nitiride/QPQ/Melonite) finishes harden the surface of both stainless and CMV.  But, on CMV, nitiriing increase corrosion resistance, while when stainless steel is nitrided, it actually decreases its corrosion resistance.  Just a thought.

What about a nitrided CMV option? Ferric Nitrocarborization (Nitiride/QPQ/Melonite) finishes harden the surface of both stainless and CMV. But, on CMV, nitiriing increase corrosion resistance, while when stainless steel is nitrided, it actually decreases its corrosion resistance. Just a thought.

You shooting in sea water? Seems a bit over the top. My duty weapons don't even get that. I'll shoot out a barrel before that becomes a concern for me, but everyone is different.

What about a nitrided CMV option?  Ferric Nitrocarborization (Nitiride/QPQ/Melonite) finishes harden the surface of both stainless and CMV.  But, on CMV, nitiriing increase corrosion resistance, while when stainless steel is nitrided, it actually decreases its corrosion resistance.  Just a thought.

Most of the nitrided barrels already use 4140 or 4150CMV.

Edgecrusher, yes, I shoot right next to the sea or off boats and there is salt water spray.

Farkle, that's not the case with many "precision" 308 barrels I've seen come to market of late.  Besides, I was referring to the list at the beginning of this thread.  All of the barrels listed there as nitrided are Stainless Steel (typically 416).  All the CM barrels he listed are chrome lined, not nitrided.  

Edited by D.R.D.