• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Contemplating a SBR and need some NFA guidance please..

AdamO

The Form-1 really isn't that bad. A single sheet front and back. Now the wait...........................that's a fukin pain in the ass.

DON'T, DON'T, DON'T assemble an SBR without the paperwork. It's not worth the consequences if you ever come across Officer hard-ass. Between the fine and the prison time (and yes.....they will make an example out of you.......the ATF doesn't have a sense of humor) it isn't worth it. Compared to a 6 to 9 month wait to do the Form-1.

Don't hold my feet to the fire on this, but I believe that they can fine you (up to) $10,000, and (up to) 25 years (or maybe the other way around.....having a brain cramp moment) for possessing the above mentioned illegal firearm.

Ok so to clarify I just bought a complete lower stock springs buffer everything just add a upper and it woulf be a firearm, not on the way home idecide i want to SBR it  so I get a form 1 will it have to be engraved and if so with exactly what>

name of trust?

city and state?

some serial number?

This poop is confusing can't they wriet it in english!

PS I think I have caught deslexia!!!

Edited by Magwa

only if you aren't there. so long as you are still there, you are considered to have possession even if someone else is shooting it.

the link I posted earlier challenges this assumption. points out that an ATF agent in a dickish mood could potentially consider this a transfer. the wording is a but vague. I wouldn't want to be the guy either way.

God, I hate all of the bull$hit rules that go with having class 3 $hit. But even if you're an individual, I'd still start a trust. If nothing else, just to cover anything (read as anybody) else that comes up in the future. A couple hundred bucks now.....can save a whole lotta pain in the future.

just sayin..................

I only have one trust for everything and fail to see how two are better. Your trust should be the same for everything. A simple line that excludes any trustees from property that they are not legally allowed to own should be in any trust. For example, your minor children can't usually own your cars. I think the gun trust lawyers are just trying to sell more trusts.

Another issue is schedule A. My trust owns a lot of things and just because it is not on a schedule does not mean the trust does not own it. Schedule A is great for making a clear case of ownership but I wouldn't get too wrapped up about it. 

FYI, I am not a lawyer or have never played one on TV.

• 3 years later...
21 minutes ago, Jetdoc said:

If you're set for a short barrel, why not do a pistol build? No NFA crap period? Just saying. I was also going to build a SBR in 300 BLK but after some research and thinking, I made a pistol. Glad I did, and it looks very similar to a SBR.

@Jetdoc are you practicing necromancy??? This thread has been dead for almost 4 years. Even the OP hasn't been online since last Feb.

I can take an AR "pistol" to any state that allows them without any kind of notification, whatsoever, to anyone.  If I want to take an SBR to any other state than it's registered to, I have to ask the BATFE for permission, and receive that permission back, before I can do it...

Pistol > SBR, as far as freedom goes.

Ron is all OVER this, and has done it for 3 years now, to bring his stash to the Fall Shoots...  @Rsquared

Edited by 98Z5V