• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Homebuilt can

392heminut

I'm giving some really serious thought to building a rifle suppressor. I'm a cheap bastard to start with and I like building stuff more than paying for something someone else built. SD Tactical (among others) has most of the stuff to build your own;

http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/Hardware_c_8.html

I can build a titanium suppressor for under $200 plus the ATF extortion tax stamp fee of $200. There's a couple of threads over on Arfcom, one is over 70 pages and one is over 110 pages, with a LOT of info on doing these. You just gotta wade through a lot of bullschit to find the good stuff. There's been some pretty good silencers turned out in some basements and garages!

Rob, it's my understanding that when you do the Form 1 you state the caliber of the can and that it can legally be used for any firearm of that caliber and lower. Some have serialized the endcap but most builders do the outer tube. There has even been a lot of discussion in those forums about different ways to go about doing the engraving! Those guys over there are a loquacious bunch! <lmao>

Ive also been thinking of doing the same.  I keep seeing these "solvent traps" at gun shows and the solvent trap adapters and can't see a practical use for them other than making a home built suppressor.  Anyone know the exact legal way of going about this?  Im very interested also.  How can it be serialized without being registered, and are you in "constructive possession" having all of the pieces to do it sort of like a SBR... <dontknow>

You can have the parts, but DON'T drill out the endcap or the freezeplugs before you have the tax stamp! You apply for the tax stamp on a form 1 since you are manufacturing a silencer. If you have a gun trust you can efile the Form 1 and have the stamp in about 4-5 weeks. You'll have to put the Mfg's. name and location (city&state) on it, which would be you or in the case of using a trust the name of the trust, and the caliber, model, and serial #. The serial # is something you pick out but it can't be all letters, has to have at least 1 number in it. Most guys just list their serial # as the model # too on the form. The info has to be engraved in at least 1/16" or bigger letters and at least .003 deep into the metal. Most do the engraving on the tube but I've heard of a couple of guys doing it on the endcap. The engraving can be done at any time before assembly, but again, do not drill the endcap or build baffles before you have the tax stamp in hand!

I'm going forward with it Tom. There's a lot of options but I think I've got mine figured out. I'm going with durability over weight and using a steel tube instead of titanium. I want this thing to be able to be used on my .308 and not be concerned about the threads holding up. There's been a lot of discussion about the thin area at the root of the threads and the steel tubes are pretty much a non-issue, titanium not so much. I'm going with a 1.5" X 8" configuration so it will fit inside the handguards on the 300 BLK pistols. I'll update this thread as it progresses.

Muzzle velocity of ammo is one of the most important factors in effective sound suppression. The.308 cartridge probably could be loaded to below a sonic (1150 ft/sec) mv but the cartridge case has a really too large capacity. The 300BLK is more adaptable for subsonic MV. The 5.56/.223 gets it energy from high velocity and in my opinion is a poor choice for suppression except paper punching outpast 100 meters. Even the.22 long rifle round needs to be subsonic to be an effective suppressed close range pistol round.

Precision machining is probably as important as any factor right along with the gas expansion volume and baffling of the can if you want the system to be portable.

Edited by mrmackc

Definitely keep us updated.  I think I am going to get a trust set up soon.  Theres actually a lawyer in Metairie that runs a gun shop out of his law office that also does trusts lol.  One stop shop I guess for class 3 purchases.  Have some friends that have done business with him.  From what I gather he charges around 400 for trust, stamp fee and engraving....sounds a bit cheap tho.

no that is a good price generaly around 500.00 but money well spent for protection of not only your NFA Items but all your guns and gun related items ...

Just got my AAC M2400 mod 8 last friday the wait was only 4 months 6 days from the day it was sent to stamp arriving at dealers... not bad at all and 5.56 not bad without ears on but with ears on you almost hear nothing but the cuncussion .

• 11 months later...