• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Boots

Robocop1051

When I'm not wearing my Ariat boots, I really like wearing Merrell's. For LE/duty use, I have been debated about going to something similar. I have been wearing 5.11 ATAC 6" boots for years, and only recently decided to going to something a little "less" uniform for the comfort. (**Just for 98Z.... The new style is approved uniform... I know how you worry about me.)

boots_zpslbco28wy.png

These are my current options:

I'm honestly leaning towards the Salomon right now. Longer track record for good boots, and better online reviews. Anyone else have any opinions or suggestions?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Union Boot pro's  ( Thorogood ), all made in the USA , I have the web address some where , I'll post it up . I was on my feel all day going from job to job in all kinds of environments & I used the EMT type boots & shoes , all worked & were very comfortable , I screwed up just about every pair , I'm very hard on foot ware , climbing on or in Machinery .

I still have a pair of their boots for Harley riding & one old pair of low cuts ( like the ones you show ), I use for yard work ( Water proof )

http://theunionbootpro.com

Edited by survivalshop

SS, I love Thorogood boots, but despite my best attempts not too... every once in a while I have to run after someone... Then I don't like Thorogood anymore.

I'm looking for:

• Lightweight
  • Waterproof
  • Durable
  • Easy on/off

I'm getting closer and closer to dropping the hammer on the Salomons. I think I'll run to the store this week and try on a similar set.

Salomon hands down.  We are issued a version of these and the quest.  These are light and comfortable and provide adequate support for CQB and light tactical operations.  The quest is a little more supportive and robust.  I have one of their cold weather series and they are quite toasty in a hide. I was a Danner guy for years.  We switched to Oakleys, 5.11s and a tested a few others.....these are the only ones that have stuck.  Pull the trigger on these....there is NO RISK. 

Tony Lamas and Noconas work for me.

Actually I found some good buys on work boots at a new Big 5 Sports store while I was looking for some.22 rimfire Magnus ammo. Got a pair of 8" side zippers for $40. I use them hunting hogs in mesquite and brush.

Edited by mrmackc

I have old timer ways but I like the new desert combat boots available. Our Marine combat boots in the 1960 were the best in the day. I almost got office hours when I returned to my Infantry Company at Pendleton when I had my second pair of combat boots resoled with red Vibram soles and heels while I was at Cold Weather and Mountain Leadership training at Pickle Meadows.

I h8 you Stain.... you just cost me $150

Fuk - that's cheap!  I wish we were talking about other kinds of terrain, like Afghanistan terrain or something fucked up like that.  I would have entered this discussion and tossed in Lowa Boots as an option. 

Fuk - that's cheap!  I wish we were talking about other kinds of terrain, like Afghanistan terrain or something fucked up like that.  I would have entered this discussion and tossed in Lowa Boots as an option. 

Hey!  I just happen to live near terrain "something fuckedup like that"...what are these Lowa Boots you speak of?

I have Bates for my SERT uniform, the seem okay, but they aren't my daily duty boots. Cochran for summer and our custom Jack boots for winter, which are like slippers!but I agree with Rob, Merrells for every day footwear are super comfortable.

I've had two pair of Bates now, with this second pair I bought some me 8" for my bear hunting trip and some of the stitching came apart. I emailed the company I ordered them from and bates sent me a new pair no questions asked and paid return shipping.

Fuk - that's cheap! I wish we were talking about other kinds of terrain, like Afghanistan terrain or something fucked up like that. I would have entered this discussion and tossed in Lowa Boots as an option.

Thought that was pretty cheap to quit wearing red wings when they got up that high. Pay 140-150$ and you can't wait to tear them off the end of the day that's bullsh!t. that's the other thing I like about the patrol style boots, on a good day I put 3-5 miles on Theyre comfertable don't mind wearing them in off hours and even wear them some times on the weekend

Stopped by Summit Hut the other day and they had botht he Salomon and Lowa boots.

Lowa-made in Switzerland.  Damn, Tom, just damn.

Salomon-made in China?!?! WTF Robo?!  $160 for some Chinese made slave fashioned hipster booties?!

At least Lowa are made by hot topless blonde women who make a living wage!

I tried on the Salomon, and they were too narrow.

Go up a half size?

I was looking at the Salomon UA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX last year but ended up going with the XR Mission. The XR Mission has a really wide toe box, which I need. I didn't find Salomon to be narrow.

So I went to the local REI to try on boots... of course they don't have the black versions, but I tried as close as possible.

I tried the:

• Lowa Zephyr - in all fairness, they didn't have my size, so I won't give them a negative review. They were a little more "boot" than I was looking for. Very tall, compared to what I'm used to.

• Vasque - heavier than I wanted. Fit was ok.

• NorthFace - Wow! These felt like sex! Of course the only pair they had looked like I'd only be having gay sex. What man wears neon green hiking boots?

• Salomon - I still think I'm going to order these first. Based strictly on reviews. The ones I tried in the store felt super narrow, but they weren't the same as the ones I'll be ordering.