Elftmann Tactical AR15 Match Trigger comparo

98Z5V

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I sent the trigger off to Art Elftmann today. He had me ship it to his residence so he could personally take a look at it because he said that they're made elsewhere (sounded like a contract machine shop). He seemed pretty surprised I was getting light primer strikes with the AR-10 model. He also said that they re-designed the trigger housing recently when I asked him about the hammer nicking the sides of the housing when the BCG pushes it down.

We'll see what happens...

I've received a pre-order offer from TacCon for their new 291 trigger.

The semi-auto safety position is now the assisted reset mode and the full auto position has become a long range two stage trigger setting.

So you get super fast reset single stage and a two stage trigger in the same unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my ELF-AR10 trigger back today.

When I spoke with Art on the phone he said he'd put a stronger hammer spring in there for me and set the adjustable trigger pull to 3-3.25lbs, his preferred weight. He also said that he thought the face of the hammer had some unusual wear on it. He said there were some parallel lines wear marks and said to check the bottom of my carrier. This wouldn't have caused light primer strikes though.

I checked my carrier and it feels smooth to me...

PWS_BCG_Bottom_zpsonwccowv.jpg

PWS_BCG_Bottom2_zpsgkcifawp.jpg

I was a bit surprised when I opened the package today and found that I didn't receive the same trigger back as I sent in (serial #s are different). I was a bit disappointed because I had sent mine in with the retail packaging and received just a trigger in a plastic bag. It also didn't have the newer housing that prevents the hammer from nicking the sides of the housing like I was told I would receive. I think what irks me the most though is that the trigger I received has considerably more wear on the sear surfaces than the one I sent in. I had fired less than 50rnds on the old trigger, and the new one looks to have a decent amount of use on the sear surfaces (although the hammer face looks cleaner than mine did...).

They did give me a set of their anti-walk pins though, but I don't plan on using them.

Well poop, I just re-installed the trigger and dry fired it a bit to make sure it's working and felt something strange upon releasing the trigger to reset...

It's releasing the hammer when I let go of the trigger... It's done it 3 times in less than 20 dry fires... WTF.

Installation procedure I used:

1) Remove old trigger and and safety.

2) Drop ELF trigger into fire control pocket.

3) Reinstall safety.

4) Install trigger pins.

5) Tighten set screws on both sides till tight (did it in 1/2 turn increments).

I'm pretty sure I'm not screwing anything up here...

Return it and get 2 MechArmor triggers instead.

I'm very tempted to return it, however I don't want Jay getting stuck with a used trigger return. I'm going to see if Elftmann will credit them.

After I took the Elftmann out of my gun I put the Mecharmor in there. No issues dry firing.

Well poop, I just re-installed the trigger and dry fired it a bit to make sure it's working and felt something strange upon releasing the trigger to reset...

It's releasing the hammer when I let go of the trigger... It's done it 3 times in less than 20 dry fires... WTF.

That's what Shepp's was doing here in the desert.  It wouldn't reset on it's own.  I still suspect the disconnector spring.  It would fire the first round, and not the second.  When I checked it out, what I saw was you would pull the trigger, the disconnector wouldn't catch the hammer, and the hammer would move forward to that half-cock position.  When you tried to fire the second time, you only dropped the hammer from the half-cocked position, and it didn't have the a$s to fire a primer (nothing would, from tht distance from the firing pin).

The range-cure we came up with was this:  You fire that rifle, and make damn sure you follow through with that trigger, and hold it to the rear.  You MAKE that disconnector hang onto that hammer.  It wouldn't reset when you eased up on it, so kick the trigger forward with your finger and manually reset it.  Fire again, follow through.  Fire again, follow through. 

You had to repeat that, and it fired everytime.  You HAD to follow through, and manually reset it, though.

My AR15 Match trigger has NOT had this problem, and it works everytime, like it should.

Fark, try the follow through, and see if yours does the same thing shepp's did... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Fark, try the follow through, and see if yours does the same thing shepp's did...

I was definitely holding that trigger back when dry firing. I like being able to decide when to let the trigger reset. I'm sure if I increased the trigger tension higher it wouldn't have done it, but this is where Art Elftmann himself "tuned" my trigger to, and I want to see what his explanation for this is.

I was finally able to get a hold of Elftmann today. I sent them an email last Thursday with the issues with the new trigger and have tried calling them a couple times per day but nobody picks up the phone and their voicemail box is full...

When I spoke to Art again today I described the issues to him again and he said to increase the pull weight till it resets normally, then use it for a couple hundred rounds and then try backing it off to the desired weight. He said sometimes they need to break in. The problem with that is the trigger I received was way more used than the one I sent in so I'd guess it should be broken in at this point...

I was also told I should've received "one of the latest" triggers, which I obviously didn't, and was asked if I took it apart to see if it's a newer one or not (of course I didn't so there'd be an easily traceable history for diagnosis). I told Art that I took pictures of my old trigger and that the serial number on the one I received was older and that I wasn't going to touch anything on it till I had spoken with him.

Art was in a rush to do something else it seemed, so he ended the call before I liked and left me with a, "Put it in the gun and run it and see what it does. If it's still having issues we'll swap it again."

Needless to say, I'm not interesting in spending $$$ diagnosing their issue. I paid for a fully functioning product and instead have been left with a $2XX paperweight for a couple months. I guess I'll have to ask Jay for a return...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is old but I got something to add.

i never bothered contacting them after reading  farks post. I don't have time durning the day to contact someone who's not going to call me back. 

Well about a week ago I saw them pop up on my Instagram feed, so I figured hmmmm call them out in public and I bet I get a very quick reply, which I did this was the reply I got:

"I just saw your comment on video... if you are having reset issues turn adjustment screw clockwise until trigger resets. customer service number is 602-773-9159 We have been swamped lately but I promise we will take care of you"

i never replied, but I've got a mech trigger on its way and I plan on swapping it out so I got something that works till I've got time to play with the elfman.