• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
Sign in to follow this  
BigDalt

SI Defense vs. Mega Ma-Ten--Help me choose!

I'm contemplating my first 308 AR build, and I've narrowed it down to starting with matched receivers from either SI Defense or Mega.  I like the DPMS pattern choices for these platforms, especially due to the parts available in terms of BCG's (like JP QPQ'd low-mass and SI FailZero BCG), and barrels.  I was sold on Mega for the longest time--they look great and get very positive reviews and press. However, I've now come across the SI Defense matched upper/lower and really like the fact that they are a vet owned company AND will treat the upper/lower in FailZero. 

Help me decide...I've seen lots of positive comments on both platforms from members here.  What do you all see as the pros/cons to both platforms? What build components have you found are particularly well suited to either/or both?  Should I be so smitten with the choice of FailZero on upper/lower, BCG, and charging handle?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions...

I love what I've read on FailZero...not crazy about the shine on the upper/lower, but its nothing a little Cerakote wouldn't fix. I'm thinking that would be a pretty indestructible combo!

I'm torn here. I really, really like the MA-TEN. On the other hand I also like the SI, and they make a traditional DPMS style lower. I fully intend to get a Fidelis AR-12g when they come out. From the looks of it I might need to go with the SI, just to fit the Fidelis upper.

I just wish Sonju would return my email. I asked if i could order the Gen II set in a two tone (fail-zero upper and OD lower) with the takedown/pivot pins and stainless bolt catch installed. I also want the fail zero/stainless BCG and stainless barrel extension.

Maybe I'll save my Mega purchase for my AR-10mm build?

Now that I have the MA-Ten set in hand, and given the choice between the two, myself I would go with the MA-TEN, it just looks and feels a little more refined at a price that's comparable to DPMS.

I made my choice. I have been writing emails back and forth with Josh Sonju about a custom build. He actually talked me into a Gen III with the FA. He explained it was 20% lighter than the other receivers. That sold me. I'm supposed to ge an invoice in my inbox shortly.

They are installing some parts for me (s/s bolt catch, pivot/takedown pins) and making a custom color scheme (Fail-Zero over OD green). I'm also pre-ordering a SS/Fail-Zero BCG.

I still really like the MA-TEN, but the Armalite style receiver was a turn off for me. Maybe after this build and my 10mm build, I'll start a mega build too.