• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

7.62x39 On AR15 Platform

suzukiray

My newest build & gathering parts. Have the upper, 80% lower & NiB bcg already for it. The followers to fix the 223 mags are on the way, as is my barrel. What muzzle brake would you guys use for a 1/2-28 on this barrel? Does someone make it or do I need to stick one of the 223 bakes in the lathe?

Ray.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've made a handful of these. I even have most of one on my desk now... no bolt yet... not till I complete a pistol lower.

YHM makes a great barrel. It's affordable and 2 MOA. One of the tricks is to stay with carbine gas.

PWS makes great muzzle devices. I used their FSC30 on my last build. I have a Krink style for my current build.

Damn Shepp, you're on the mark.

I do recommend MGI, based on personal use.

I also recommend Cason Engineering, based on their vastly increasing popularity and reputation solely from their 7.62x39 bolt.

Both bolts come with a 7.62x39 firing pin.

I did my homework, and book marked a bunch of poop I'm hoping to start on it after I get back from AZ granted they don't strong arm me into somthing down there

PS I read both those threads a few times helped me decide to do this.

Edited by shepp

The next "upgrade" I'm thinking about is a HiperFire trigger. I think the extra hammer force will be a positive for igniting those extra thick soviet primers.

The items that require the most attention when making a 7.62x39 build are:

• Low pressure from all the ammo you're likely to buy. Much lower than the NATO round. There is good stuff out there, but let's be honest here... you are building this to shoot cheap Wolf/Tula ammo. The shorter the gas system the better. If it requires regulating, then maybe invest in an adj-GB later.

• Don't kill your budget on a barrel. The cheapo surplus round is not a precision cartridge, so you'll never get the round to perform as well as the barrel. You'll end up burning up that expensive barrel using all that steel cased ammo. Honestly, if I'm shooting sub-6 MOA I'm happy.

• Bolts... buy 3 for $50 ea or buy 1 for $125... this part is the Achilles heal of rifle.

• case taper is SIGNIFICANT in comparison to the NATO round. Picking a magazine can be tricky. The *new* C-Products Defense "J-Mag" has my vote... unless you can find a lower that accepts AK mags.

• the 7.62x39 surplus ammo has thick, recessed, primers. A heavier hammer and/or hammer spring will be a bonus. This is also why the "enhanced firing pin" is a huge bonus as well.

• think dirty! The cheaper the ammo the dirtier it gets. NiB or Melonite are your friends for the more exposed parts. I used to suggest a (YHM) CMV chrome lined barrel, but a nitride bbl works too. My current build has a cheapo Melonite barrel and an Adams Arms piston kit. This was about as clean as I could make it.

I have a 16" chrome lined barrel on the way & got a 125 dollar NiB bcg with the correct firing pin in it for this. I was told the P mags will work if I change the base plate/follower in it? Going to try the Elftman AR10 trigger to see if the heavier hammer will make it fire those primers.

Ray.

Edited by suzukiray

Robocop, I just went & read thru your thread on the build you did as a pistol. Great info, thanks for the link to it.

Ray.

It's still technically a "work in progress". I grabbed a VLTOR CASV-M recently. The upper is still in parts. If I get the chance this week, I'll start installing the parts.

I actually got to talk to the people who bought CProducts, now named CProducts Defense.

They built a new 28rd mag, designed to fit in standard m4 pouches. Part of this new design included a new spring and anti-tilt follower. They state that the new spring and follower, when used in their standard 30 rnd body (7.62x39 Jmag), actually fit 35 rounds.

makes ar-15 lowers that accept ak-47 mags

Ordering Information

pixel.gifContact us for more information or to place an order.

pixel.gif

For Info: info@michaelsmachines.com

pixel.gif

For Ordering: orders@michaelsmachines.com

pixel.gif

Dealers send FFL to:

pixel.gif

pixel.gifMichaels Machines

pixel.gif200 2nd Ave.

pixel.gifEdwardsville, IL 62025 pixel.gifHome  |  Information  |  Pricing  |  Pictures

makes 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information and specifics.  I'll keep that in mind.

On another positive note ... 

I spoke with one of the Techs today over at LCJ Wholesale ...

:banana: C-Products Defense NEW 28-round J-Mags are IN !!!   :banana:

He's already shipped some of them out.  I bought the last 5 he had on hand today and he's expecting 100+ more in by the end of the week when they get back from the coating shop.

He stated they have not had these very long at all and cannot keep them in.  Drop them a line and get on the ordering.

Had a long talk with him and he explained what they've done with reference to springs and the followers and why the 28 rounders and the Gen II 30 rounders are working out.  He stated the 28 rounders have been very carefully engineered as opposed to mags in the past and these will fit in an M16 mag pouch, roughly being the same size as the 30-round 5.56 mags.

He also stated the AR15 buffer and buffer spring should run just fine.  He stated the only other thing that folks seem to be having problems with is they need a 7.62x39-specific bolt or at least the caliber-specific firing pin.

Regardless ... I just thought I'd put that out there because I know some folks on here were waiting on these new mags.   :))