• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS G2 Recon

The only gripes I have with the G2 recon are that it comes with a commercial receiver extension, the buffer is a bit light, and the castle nut isn't torqued to spec (40ft-lbs, and there seems to be some vibra-tite on the threads). I'm still contemplating getting one though...

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I asked who made the barrels for DPMS was because my gun was in for warranty repair and they said it needed a new barrel because of head spacing problems. I called DPMS and they said it was a minimum wait of 6 months for a barrel, but warranty got priority. DPMS does not repair their own guns either. Ahlmans in MN is their repair facility. My gun was there for 2 months and I just got it back today. It craters the primers and leaves 2 ejector marks on the head of the brass to where they are not reloadable. After 2 months at the repair facility, this is a pic from today.

post-14474-0-30702000-1428984738_thumb.j

Contact them & send them the photo of your fired brass .  

I don't see a problem with reloading that brass . Primers are not pierced , so why worry <dontknow>  Looks to me to be to large of a Firing Pin hole in Bolt .There was another here that showed the same Primer condition , never heard back , so maybe with a higher round count , this symptom may go away ( hopeful )

How does the sides of the brass look like , could be a rough chamber, tight chamber  . If you have followed DPMS rifles , they have had a history of rough/tight chambers. 

Reading off my repair ticket:

Replaced barrel

minor cut/ polish chamber

measure head space- ok

test fired- ok

slight cratering of primers is normal.

The heads of the cases are so screwed up they won't fit into the case holder in the press.

Ejector spring overpressure right there, when the neck of the case leaves the chamber your ejectors are forcing the case into your barrel's bolt locking lugs, thus deforming the case.

Tangent....I heard an interview with Paul Leitner-Wise (Leitner-Wise is the "LW" in "LWRC) http://www.leitner-wise.com/

They are working on a lightweight .308 AR with proprietary receivers that will be smaller than the G2, accept SR-25/DPMS pattern mags, PMags, etc, and use mostly AR15 milspec components.

They are late to the party   H's Nexgen "12" already fills the bill...im on my second build this week and third the week after..

selling all my Mega builds ... an 8 lb rifle with scope is the ticket!   :) Wash

Ejector spring overpressure right there, when the neck of the case leaves the chamber your ejectors are forcing the case into your barrel's bolt locking lugs, thus deforming the case.

Have anyone here had problems ejecting cases , that can be traced to the Ejector , that you would need two Ejectors ? I think they are over kill or covering up for something else in the design of this rifle system or could be just copying another well known manufacturers design. 

• 2 weeks later...

My fired cases from my G2 Hunter look the same.  Called DPMS and they said it was because of the larger firing pin hole (.083?) used and cratering was normal and ok.  Occasionally my case necks look that way as well but not often.  Gun ejects to 3:00.  

Why would they use such a large firing pin hole? Would an adjustable gas block fit or help? I know it would not help the cratering. 

Otherwise gun shoots accurately, 1 inch groups with match ammo, and runs without a hitch. Ok for me as an amateur but I could see how someone who knows what a “good gun” is would be less than impressed.

I don't worry too much about weight, that is why I carry a full size Colt Govt. 45. just get a good fitting sling for your smoke pole, and start working out, the knees are the first to go.  A diesel powered Gator helps get you there here in the home boonies.

And in regards to the cratering, a situation of over-pressure would show on the chronograph, right?  I fired rounds of several manufacturers through the chrono and velocities were exactly what I would have expected or perhaps a bit lower.  1658 gr match Hornady at 2500- 2600 i think? Listed velocity on box was 2700 fps I am assuming from 24 in barrel. So I believe it is just the large firing pin hole and not true high pressure from a headspace issue.  But I guess that doesn't explain the ejector marks on his brass.  Or perhaps I am putting too much faith in the velocity readings as a pressure indicator?

Edited by indyhunter

back in the day I didn't consider weight important as firepower. Maybe tthat is why I was promoted? to BAR man. Boy I did hate to double time with that BAR at port arms. I learned a good trick. our utilities had the second button covered with a flap and I would slide my thumb in over the button and kind of hang part of the weight on that button. I got really good at sewing that button on extra heavy duty I did a lot of thinking about getting away from my 0300 Mos. and applied for and got a transfer to artillery as a MT mechanic.