• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS G2 Recon

The reason I asked who made the barrels for DPMS was because my gun was in for warranty repair and they said it needed a new barrel because of head spacing problems. I called DPMS and they said it was a minimum wait of 6 months for a barrel, but warranty got priority. DPMS does not repair their own guns either. Ahlmans in MN is their repair facility. My gun was there for 2 months and I just got it back today. It craters the primers and leaves 2 ejector marks on the head of the brass to where they are not reloadable. After 2 months at the repair facility, this is a pic from today.

I have a DPMS LR .308 with a 24" barrel and I bought an AP4 upper for it.  Any factory load shot in either barrel comes out with cratered primers.  DPMS barrels are noted for extremely tight chambers.  This makes is hard to work up a load when shooting a DPMS rifle.

So I work up loads in other .308 rifles and consult several reloading manuals.  If your load is within SAAMI specs it will be OK in your DPMS rifle.

MY AP4 shoots just as good at the 24" stainless target barrel.  It put British Radway Green military ball 147 gr. from the 1980's in three shots that a nickle could COMPLETELY COVER at 100 yards, and did it repeatedly.  This ammo wasn't hot enough to work the action of my rifle.  It didn't matter if the round came out of the magazine of if you laid it on top of the mag and released the locked-back bolt (you locked it back yourself) onto the round.  No kinds of sesitivities as to how the round got into the chamber, it just put it right in there.

Remington bought DPMS, I think in 2008.  I only paid $850 for my .308 LR with stainless fluted barrel from RGuns in 2002.  They are advertising them for $950 now, but they are always marked "out of stock".  This is a dealer price, but I have a good friend who is a dealer.

Have faith in your "Panther" rifle, it is a good one.  Just be aware that you are going to see a lot of cratered primers.

I have a DPMS LR .308 with a 24" barrel and I bought an AP4 upper for it. 

You just replied to a guy that has an issue with his DPMS G2 Recon, and your examples are of your 24" barreled rifle that also has an AP4 upper.  You're comparing Apples to Hammers here.  Your information doesn't help the guy with the G2 Recon. 

These are completely different rifles...

You just replied to a guy that has an issue with his DPMS G2 Recon, and your examples are of your 24" barreled rifle that also has an AP4 upper.  You're comparing Apples to Hammers here.  Your information doesn't help the guy with the G2 Recon. 

These are completely different rifles...

Here's what I was replying to:  "It craters the primers..."

My point is that DPMS barrels have very tight chambers.  I doubt that G2 Recon barrels are any different since his G2 Recon barrel craters the primers too.

I hope you get the point and I hope novamark gets it too.

But YOUR point is well taken, the ARE completely different rifles...