• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1911 info

Dane Armory

No expert but love my Springfield, they have went above and beyond with customer service. Had them install a short trigger and they did a reliability and a trigger job for the same money quoted for changing the trigger, a smith with texas accent spent 1/2 hour with me talking on the phone asking what I was doing with the pistol, any problems I saw, and what I hoped to get from the work :)

Sig makes some nice ones but they will be at the top of the price range.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO Colt's quality hasn't matched their prices for over 20 years. Kimber and Springfield have far surpassed them.

My first 1911A1 was a Springer, when they first came out with SS in 1993 or 1994.  Plain 3-dot sights, short trigger, arched MSH, spurred hammer was the flavor, no choices.  Replaced the trigger, hammer, sear, MSH, MSC, hammer strut, and firing pin and it ran like a Singer sewing machine.

A couple of years later Kimber was being raved about, so I bought one in SS.  WTF?! Plastic trigger and MSH?!  For $250 more than my Springer cost?!?  Okay.  Rode it out and took it shooting.

The Kimber was only on target with 230gr pills.  At the time I was into the 185gr trend (like thousands of others).  Adios Kimber.

I will say their product line is greatly improved, while I'm not happy with the proprietary "safe-action lock" on the MSH on new Springfield 1911 pistols.

• 3 weeks later...

OK I am no gunsmith by a long shot I own two Kimbers a carry 2 and a custom tactical 2 I know the tac 2 has the swartz safety can it be taken out with no other reliability issues?

Yes.  I've not heard of this removal causing malfunctions nor seen it on my only 1911 that has (had) one.  I've heard of several first hand incidents with 1911s and other systems, where the firing pin block has gone screwy at the range.  Each of those people now refuse to carry those individual pistols (though only a couple have sworn off firing pin blocks all together).

For your carry pistol though, it is my very strong opinion that you go purchase a new 1911 pistol without the firing pin block.  Kimbers without the "2" designation, Ruger SR1911s, a wide variety of others.

Because deep inside, you know you really want another 1911.

Yes.  I've not heard of this removal causing malfunctions nor seen it on my only 1911 that has (had) one.  I've heard of several first hand incidents with 1911s and other systems, where the firing pin block has gone screwy at the range.  Each of those people now refuse to carry those individual pistols (though only a couple have sworn off firing pin blocks all together).

For your carry pistol though, it is my very strong opinion that you go purchase a new 1911 pistol without the firing pin block.  Kimbers without the "2" designation, Ruger SR1911s, a wide variety of others.

Because deep inside, you know you really want another 1911.

my trusted LGS guy is recommending Ruger 1911's as an excellent value.

I took the Series 80 schit out of my Colt 1991 Compact right after I got it too! Had to buy a shim from Brownells to fill in the cut in the receiver that was occupied by the levers but otherwise it was an easy deal. That gun has worked just fine without all that crap in there too.

Also, Series 80 was a Colt thing, as far as I know no other manufacturer used that system, only Colt. I don't know anything about wear problems with the safety (you're  referring to the thumb safety right Mike?) in the series 80 gun but I still have the factory firing pin and sear in mine and after thousands of rounds I've had no problems with them.

no F---- way am I buying another pistol I got this one used and took it to a friend who rebuilt it with all Wilson springs and other relevant upgrades but he would not remove the swartz now this kimber is like a fine watch am I am a surgeon with it 5, 12, 25, 50, 100 yard you do NOT want me shooting at you best shooting pistol I have ever owned but i do dislike extra parts like the swartz...

no F---- way am I buying another pistol I got this one used and took it to a friend who rebuilt it with all Wilson springs and other relevant upgrades but he would not remove the swartz now this kimber is like a fine watch am I am a surgeon with it 5, 12, 25, 50, 100 yard you do NOT want me shooting at you best shooting pistol I have ever owned but i do dislike extra parts like the swartz...

When mine fell out while cleaning (whistling), the trigger got noticeably better.  One of the RSOs was tripping out, I was hitting steel 8-9 rounds out of a magazine at 110 yards (it's a 9mm).

I took the Series 80 schit out of my Colt 1991 Compact right after I got it too! Had to buy a shim from Brownells to fill in the cut in the receiver that was occupied by the levers but otherwise it was an easy deal. That gun has worked just fine without all that crap in there too.

Also, Series 80 was a Colt thing, as far as I know no other manufacturer used that system, only Colt. I don't know anything about wear problems with the safety (you're  referring to the thumb safety right Mike?) in the series 80 gun but I still have the factory firing pin and sear in mine and after thousands of rounds I've had no problems with them.

Yes !

Also dropping the 70 series gun and inducing a slam fire.

I just feel adding extra parts is a great way to make à problem happen. Just get a 70's series gun for carry. Use the modified gun for range.

The only real reàson i would not carry a gun with a modified firing pin safety is IF you shoot someone with the modified gun. A DA would tear your a$$ a new hole in court.

OK school me on this , do they actually tear a gun apart before a self defense hearing or trial? I mean that would be the only reason I would ever be in trouble would be me defending my self and at that point does it matter if it is a club,gun, knife etc? say i bought a knife and changed the point to a more dagger like point would a DA tear me a new one for altering the knife into a more deadly knife? what about defence ammo some of this stuff looks like it is designed to blow holes the size of a watermelon would it really matter? you have just defended yourself against a attacker who would have killed or maimed you for whats in your wallet..... sorry I do not think altering your gun would matter we do it all the time we buy guns alter them with grips magazines that hold more trigger jobsetc etc and there are still 1911,s made with out those parts I think the DA would have a weak case unless you live in cali, or another anti gun state which I will never do.... your thoughts..

The only real reàson i would not carry a gun with a modified firing pin safety is IF you shoot someone with the modified gun. A DA would tear your a$$ a new hole in court.

Mike, that reasoning has been thrown around for years and years! Anymore, just about any 1911 being carried has been modified in one way or another and ANY modification to a carry gun beyond the way the factory built them could be used as a negligence argument in court. In the 35+ years I've been involved in shooting, gunsmithing, and law enforcement I have yet to hear of the removal of a firing pin block safety device being used against someone in court. The ONLY modification I've actually heard of being brought up in court is the issue of modifying trigger pull weights. If you can provide any links to court hearings where the issue of the removal of a firing pin block safety was brought up I would love to see it.

Feel the sarcasm ... First !  OK .

He would start out by saying something about your total lack of regard for life by taking the safety off of your gun !

After that your fucked because the jury of not your peers are anti gun idiots who are bred to fear guns. 

You have just been deamed as an evil killer !

Behind closed doors their will one person who will keep saying to the other eleven idiots ,"He modified That Gun so he could KILL that helpless boy who was just taking something he needed to get by with ". Bang ... Manslaughter charge !

Mike, that reasoning has been thrown around for years and years! Anymore, just about any 1911 being carried has been modified in one way or another and ANY modification to a carry gun beyond the way the factory built them could be used as a negligence argument in court. In the 35+ years I've been involved in shooting, gunsmithing, and law enforcement I have yet to hear of the removal of a firing pin block safety device being used against someone in court. The ONLY modification I've actually heard of being brought up in court is the issue of modifying trigger pull weights. If you can provide any links to court hearings where the issue of the removal of a firing pin block safety was brought up I would love to see it.

I just dont feel like doing a search. So i will give up , with out a fight. I have read dozens of post on sites about this. I just wouldn't want to be an example.