• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CRASH! What went wrong?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)   no crap Blue !   once again....its always the "trick parts" that put you in the "trick bag"  ???   Wash

I can't grasp the price ether . What I don't understand is , how can the BCG come back too far with a Tubb's flat wire spring , that's one long spring , it is supposed to compress more , because of its design , but still , thats a lot of spring . Here it is next to a DPMS 308AR Carbine spring . post-11255-0-43886200-1428597735_thumb.j

Something is not to spec's in the Receiver Extension. Op said its 7" deep & that's correct , maybe the Tubb's FWS is for an AR 15 & not a 308AR ?

I would like to see the Lower Receiver & extension photo's with out the Upper attached , inside & outside & a photo of the BCG with a measuring scale next to it . . 98 is right , this is the second one in just a few days .

Edited by survivalshop

Sounds simple even to me. (1) remove upper from lower. (2) find and depress buffer detent button pin thingiee .....it is spring loaded! (3) dodge stuff flying thru the air! find flying stuff. (4) drop several quarter dollar coins down into where the stuff flew out of, how many quarters to be determined later,right? (5) stuff flying stuff on top of the coins, spring first,then the buffer thing little end first. (6) you gotta hold down the buffer detent button thingie and get the buffer thingie behind the buffer detent button holding against that spring pressure and let the pressure off the buffer detent pin while holding the buffer behind the buffer detent pin thingiee. Okay is that how I do that? Later I can see if the mod worked? Something about if the bcg will go back far enough so that the bolt holder open thingiee holds the bolt open? You all hang with me and maybe I'll get this thang figured out, thanks

You can clearly see the difference in the 5.56 Tubbs spring and the .308 Tubbs spring

Spacer I machined

How far the carrier goes in with the spacer in place

If you look really close you can see the buffer retainer pin does not come in contact with the buffer when the upper is mostly closed

Edited by ironmonster

Ironmonster, any chance you can get that tube in one more turn? That's a 16 threads per inch thread size if I remember right, if that's the case you would be crashing by 1/16" maybe you could measure your dent in the receiver and see if it's about that depth? I'm just trying to think simple.

Edited by Toolndie7

Ironmoster , with the BCG in the the lower , like it would be in full recoil & with the Bolt set against the Bolt Stop , as it would be with an empty Mag. in , looking it back , does the BCG hit the Rear of the Lower Receiver ? This is done of course with out the Upper Receiver & Buffer? Spring .  Photo?

If it will cycle with the spacer in there I'm ok with that fix. It's obvious the buffer is too light and/or its over gassed but the buffer bumper still should stop the carrier before it crashes. The PWS tube is 1/8" longer than another random buffer tube I grabbed (7" vs 6-7/8"). So that plastic spacer should do restrict it. However it still means that buffer is slamming into the back of the tube every round fired. I think it's normal to touch but considering the damage done the carrier is still going full tilt at the back of the cycle.

With the spacer the bolt locks on the catch and will move about a 1/4" back from there before everything bottoms.

I ordered the Tubbs cws but I think as far as lenght goes it hurts not helps, it adds lenght to the carrier, I need the carrier to be shorter. Maybe the weight would be enough to slow it before it bottoms but it seems to me that an adjustable gas block is a better solution.

Iron so lets start from the obvious here are pics of my carrier

image.jpg1_zpsefquf4vh.jpg

and then the opening diameter from inside the buffer tube at the mouth

image.jpg5_zpsyk43timl.jpg

and then the carrier shoulder which prolly is causing the damage

image.jpg3_zps4dz9ziud.jpg

you there on the measurements with yours?   the easiest way is to put a plain ol buffer tube on with a car308 buffer and a car308 spring ....if that doesnt work....you got bigger probs

:)  Wash

Edited by washguy

Well, the O.D. Of the carrier does not matter as long as the I.D. Of the buffer tube is sufficent that there is clearance, it does.

The cross section of the sectional change in the carrier does not matter because no matter what size it is it's still not going in the buffer tube.

The only measurements that I could see are relevant is from the rear of the carrier to the sectional change in the carrier, the depth of the buffer tube, the compressed thickness of the buffer spring and lenght of the buffer itself

Well, the O.D. Of the carrier does not matter as long as the I.D. Of the buffer tube is sufficent that there is clearance, it does.

The cross section of the sectional change in the carrier does not matter because no matter what size it is it's still not going in the buffer tube.

The only measurements that I could see are relevant is from the rear of the carrier to the sectional change in the carrier, the depth of the buffer tube, the compressed thickness of the buffer spring and lenght of the buffer itself

Exactly  ....the carrier is going too far back and the shoulder is smacking it....spend 30 bucks on a buffer tube/spring

to get it going...and if that doesnt work you got lower problemos...I love Tubbs have some of them...but then again all my $hit works from the get go :) Wash

Edited by washguy

Other than changing out the Tubbs spring changing the rest of it would have no effect, the only way the spring could have any effect is if it's collapsed hight was thicker thus limiting the carrier movement but that would just mean everything was collapsing to a dead stop, still a crash and not the intent of the system(is it?) I can't imagine the goal is to collapse the spring 100% so the carrier crashes to a dead stop at the end of the stroke.

I need a heavier buffer, a stronger spring or less gas, the spacer I put in the buffer tube makes it impossible for the carrier to contact the buffer tube boss.

The other thing is this buffer tube is not coming out, ever. After the damage done to the end it's going to damage the receiver and probably destroy the tube as well. Since it will work as it is and they both may be junk if I try and tear them apart it seems smart to just deal with it as is.

I just ordered 6.5oz buffers and his recommend springs from heavybuffer.com

$296 shipped for two springs and two buffers. Hope it helps

Anyone want to buy a couple of very slightly used high zoot Tubbs flat coil springs? Need a couple of standard DPMS buffers?

Just a note, the heavy buffers CAR-10 is longer than a standard LR308 carbine buffer by about 1/8". At least the one I bought was...