• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Shopping for my .308AR build based on Matrix Aerospace upper/lower

ARdentFan

Sorry been away from a while, work has been hectic.

That's where I got mine:  gunbroker.  I looked at it and if it is a blem I honestly don't see what it is (but I'm still an AR newb so YMMV).

Right now AIM Surplus has an 18" barrel and bcg combination that can get me up and running on the cheap, but part of me may have one indulgence in the barrel (even though I don't need it) and go with a longer bull barrel.

Once my work and home projects settle down (in the process of getting off the grid) I'll start posting pics of parts and starting the build in earnest.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure the blem set your talking about is from Reideman Firearms. You can usually get one off gunbroker, though mine was ablemished set with no problems, too. Get the lower parts kit from Chris, though, because you need to modify the bolt catch and I think he's already done it to his lpk's.

Also, the rear takedown spring is too short, so you either need to tap the hole for a screw (like everyone else here does, apparently), get a longer spring, or use a spacer on the spring in the lpk. I just cut off a little straight piece of coat hanger and it works fine.

Chase would you hapen to have pictures of the modified bolt catch?

It's an AR10A with about 1/16" taken off the top.

Without the modification the bolt will contact the catch, and prevent cycling.

A 10B catch won't hold open on an empty mag.

I fixed mine with a belt sander.

Edited by AngelDeVille

Chase - You may be right.  It was a while ago so I don't recall 100%, but I could have sworn it was from Chris.

Angel - Thank you for posting this.  I was not aware of the bolt catch issue with the matrix lower.  Is the armalite AR10A lpk the most "compatible" of the LPKs for this lower?  Also, where is the best place to get a longer spring should one choose to go that route?

My post was too old to edit, so I'll post here:  I think Im going to go with either the coat hangar method or the tapped screw method like I just found in another thread.

Also, if you choose to go with Chris's LPK instead of the Armalite one, his site shows the DPMS part kit but doesn't mention anything about modding it for the matrix lower.  Do you have to mention that in the comments of your order or something?

Thanks!

I'd contact Chris and ask him about the lpk's. I tried to take a picture of the bolt catch but it wouldn't show up good. You just have to take off a little from the top of the AR-10A bolt catch like Angel said, though I don't remember the amount you actually have to remove. Chris could tell you.

I'd steer away from a longer spring for the takedown pin. I think you'd need the rear takedown detent spring for a Sig 716, and they cost like $60. The coat hanger trick worked fine for me, just make sure you don't put too much or to little pressure on the spring.

Seems like more and more people are jumping on these Matrix sets, we should have plenty of feedback before too long.

I used a peace of .093 stainless steel piano wire .700 thousands long. Detent spring then wire20150414_223518_zpsvitqtkj0.jpg

That's a pretty significant fukup, on the manufacturers part.  Had they gone in from the bottom, like most other 308AR manufacturers, then the standard AR15 parts would work just fine.

Pretty $hitty to leave you guys, as the buyers, to figure that out on your own... 

Not to mention having to alter or modify a std 308 Bolt stop to work . Sounds like the pins ,pivot hole is set too high in the Lower Receiver .

How hard would it be ( if as a manufacturer ,you knew ?) to thread that hole for the detent spring, for a threaded plug/ set screw ?

Edited by survivalshop

Yes the manufacturer could have done it better, I'm guessing maybeee another 30 seconds or so when its in the machine to thread that hole. I didn't expect perfection at this price point but all in all the problems aside the other fit and finishes are really good.

It's a non-stressed part in a non-stressed area - shouldn't matter if it's coat hanger or piano wire, either will never really hit a failure-rate type of activity.  It just sucks that you guy have to mod the stuff in that manner, and not even know about it until you get the receiver to assemble.

It's definitely not a show-stopper; more of an assembly PITA...

I did a quick google search and found a part number for the SR762 bolt catch.  If they use the Matrix upper and lower it would make sense this part should just drop in, no?

Either way for the price I got the set having to do one or two small things is hardly a deal breaker.  From what I had read before going in on this its not as interchangeable as the AR in 5.56/.223.  I kind of accepted I would make minor "mistakes" in purchase choices this first time around.  There's always the chance to upgrade later. :)

Update:  AIM surplus had a deal on an 18" barrel I couldn't refuse, so I got their BCG in the same pattern to hopefully avoid headspace issues.  It was the 18" mid-length barrel.

I have a couple of questions because after reading a bunch of threads on here I am once again confused.

1) What gas tube should I use with my matrix upper?  From what I have read since the barrel is "DPMS" pattern I should get a DPMS tube

2) What length handguard would I need so that I can cover the gas tube for a cleaner look?  I saw a 12" guard that I liked (very "no frills" look that gives more of a "rifle" look than a "tactical" look) that I was going to pair with a low profile adjustable block.

Thanks for the help everyone!  This is finally starting to come together on the parts front!

Get the lower parts kit from Chris, though, because you need to modify the bolt catch and I think he's already done it to his lpk's.

Sorry for yet another quick reply in this thread, but I found an interesting article that might address this:

http://www.thebangswitch.com/everyone-makes-a-mistake-even-ruger/

In the article it mentions that they had to make a switch from magpul to DPMS magazines which caused the feel problem described.

Does this imply that if you use the Armalite parts kits where applicable there is no need to modify the bolt catch if you use armalite or magpul magazines?  I found a reasonably good deal on Armalite 5 round magazines (need them for legal purposes) so I may go that route if no mods to the bolt catch are required.