• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spikes Tactical Forged .308 Set

EngrBob

OK, the swap out BCG should be here tomorrow so I will try to get to the range on Friday (use some of the 26 hours of comp time I will lose this month) to see how it operates as well as fire test the MechArmor trigger.  I will do some measuring while headspacing the new bolt to ensure I have a significantly shallower carrier.  The ones they had on hand measured roughly the same as 98's Fulton Armory carrier in depth as well as one or two others whose measurements I have seen on other boards.

Great news.  Here's hoping you get your range day.  I surely will NOT see anything close to range day for another 2 weeks with all the rain we've had here lately and the overtime we've been working.

As for the measurements ... how does the measurements of the BCG they are now sending you compare to the measurements of the bolt that I posted?  I ask this because there is a possibility the BCG(s) that I have will give me the same trouble.   :-[  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way ... our next gun show is this weekend so if you do get to the range on Friday please try to post an update here before 10:00 AM Saturday morning as I will most likely be going to the show and will be looking for one of those triggers IF my BCG(s) don't appear to be likely to give me the same trouble.

OK, the replacement BCG has arrived.  The measurements are quite different compared to the first one.  The carrier depth just ahead of the gas key is 0.930" compared to the 0.950" that the first measured.  The distance from the front of the carrier to the shoulder is 2.190" compared to the 2.250" of the first one.  The BCG drops into battery when inserted with the barrel oriented vertically.  The depth of the carrier plus the gas key between the screws is 1.191" indicating that the depth of the flat portion of the gas key is just about the same as the first and all the others that I have measured.  It appears that the hammer for the MechArmor FCG actually clears the carrier without requiring either the carrier to ride over the hammer or the hammer to depress slightly to allow the carrier to pass.  Charging appears very easy and smooth.  I have headspaced the BCG and it is now residing in a synthetic oil bath until I can get to the range tomorrow.  Thanks again to AIM Surplus for doing the right thing and both of the BCGs they sent were completely void of any machine marks and were extremely smooth and felt very slick before going into the oil bath.

Cool.  Sounds like you just got a bad part initially.

Anxious here to see how it all performs at the range, which of course, sounds like there will be no problems at all.

Glad to hear it's getting worked out.  Please post up here your results from the range trip the weekend.   <thumbsup>

Edited by GRA

That 0.030" is locking you up.  30-thou.

Called it - did AIM take back that BCG for you?  The original one?

I can't even imagine how *whoever* machined that wrong - AIM just sells parts, I don't think they manufacture.  Wouldn't be on them if they're not running the machines. 

Interesting, never seen this come up before - glad it did, tough.  Something else to keep an eye on. 

OK, the replacement BCG has arrived.  The measurements are quite different compared to the first one.  The carrier depth just ahead of the gas key is 0.930" compared to the 0.950" that the first measured.  The distance from the front of the carrier to the shoulder is 2.190" compared to the 2.250" of the first one.  The BCG drops into battery when inserted with the barrel oriented vertically.  The depth of the carrier plus the gas key between the screws is 1.191" indicating that the depth of the flat portion of the gas key is just about the same as the first and all the others that I have measured.  It appears that the hammer for the MechArmor FCG actually clears the carrier without requiring either the carrier to ride over the hammer or the hammer to depress slightly to allow the carrier to pass.  Charging appears very easy and smooth.  I have headspaced the BCG and it is now residing in a synthetic oil bath until I can get to the range tomorrow.  Thanks again to AIM Surplus for doing the right thing and both of the BCGs they sent were completely void of any machine marks and were extremely smooth and felt very slick before going into the oil bath.

The Bolt Carrier should always contact the Hammer , when passing over it, to some extent . You now probably only have minimal contact , as it should be if the Hammer is in cocked position .

I see I missed a lot that went on in this thread , glad they took care of you .

Edited by survivalshop

Called it - did AIM take back that BCG for you?  The original one?

I can't even imagine how *whoever* machined that wrong - AIM just sells parts, I don't think they manufacture.  Wouldn't be on them if they're not running the machines. 

Interesting, never seen this come up before - glad it did, tough.  Something else to keep an eye on. 

You did.  AIM swapped out the original for a new one which will be going to the range in about an hour (only 94 now).  This one is even a little shallower than your Fulton Armory BCG.  AIM does just sell, apparently the manufacturer produces these for quite a number of suppliers.  It is very smooth, no machining marks, and feels almost wet.

The Bolt Carrier should always contact the Hammer , when passing over it, to some extent . You now probably only have minimal contact , as it should be if the Hammer is in cocked position .

I see I missed a lot that went on in this thread , glad they took care of you .

It does touch, just slightly, enough to cock the FCG when charging.  I was comparing it to the original where the hammer of the Geissele was binding at the shoulder of the BCG and wasn't quite accurate in the description.  Thanks to all for the advice as it really helped as I worked through the issue.  I suppose the bright side was switching the Geissele to the little brother (which needed it) and encouraged me to get the MechArmor drop if for the big brother.  With my lack of control with the left hand that no travel light touch trigger really should help.

OK, I put 20 rounds downrange without any failures and the BCG locking back when the magazine was  empty.  Like an idiot I forgot to put the bipod in my bag so all 20 rounds were shot offhand.  I was able to put all 20 in an 8" circle at 100 yards, with about half shot as double and triple taps.  The Miculek brake does a really good job of keeping the barrel level and there is no more recoil than my AR-15, which has virtually no recoil.  This was actually a double test since the ammo I was using were my first hand loads.  In this case they were Rocky Mountain Reloading 147 grain HPBT projectiles over 44.1 gn of Varget and using Winchester large rifle primers in once shot cases that I prepared.  Interestingly they proved to be very accurate given the circumstances.  I really think the Faxon barrel (18", 10:1, 4150 moly QPQ) is outstanding.  I really can't say enough good things about the barrel.  After that I put 30 .223 rounds and about a dozen 30.06 rounds downrange to check the zero hold on their glass, which maintained zero very well. <thumbsup>

I need to think about what the next build might be; however, I want to take some time to get more deeply into reloading, moving into 9MM, 45 ACP, .223 and 30.06 for the rest of the family as well as the .308. :banana:

Edited by EngrBob

Great news.   <thumbsup>

Glad this turned out finally.  Most impressive was the lack of recoil.  I hope mine turns out half as good.  As for reloading I'm sure I'll get off in to that sometime this year.

I need to think about what the next build might be; however, I want to take some time to get more deeply into reloading, moving into 9MM, 45 ACP, .223 and 30.06 for the rest of the family as well as the .308. :banana:

Well, now you went and did it.  You admitted it.  <lmao>

You have to know, at this point, that we love you, but we are NOT a "good influence."

You mentioned "next build," then went right into "get more deeply into reloading," and we're sharks swimming in chum...  <laughs>

Just let us know how to spend your money.  You'll get great recommendations, rest assured.  Wade through the many recommendations, look at the info presented, and just make a decision on your own.  You won't please everyone that made a recommendation, but you can't go wrong with whatever decision you make.  What was the CCI on your card again?...  :banana:

I'm usually the one accused of being a bad influence.  I am really pleased in that that the position I have now allows me the time to get into doing things I have always wanted to do but really haven't had the time, primarily because of travel.  The career has been professionally rewarding, and I have had the opportunity to work all over the country as well as places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, Qatar, Jordon, Italy, England, Spain and Mexico, but I spent a lot of time on airplanes and in hotels making feeding my interests a little difficult.

I recognize the value of the suggestions here and they made the .308 build considerably easier and I sincerely appreciate all of the help.  I have been in the ditch enough to be able to make some suggestions, at least in terms of what not to do, to those just starting out.  While this is something I wish I had started 30-years ago, I intend to live long enough to enjoy it.

Thanks again!

but I spent a lot of time on airplanes and in hotels making feeding my interests a little difficult.

You sure end up with a good amount of $ in your bank account when you get back though (well after the expense report anyways)!

Edited by FaRKle!

• 1 month later...

Finally ... Got this thing together.  Finally got some quality time off and got the major parts of the assembly done.

PastixRevolution products are tops.  I had ordered some others but they didn't work out so I sent them back.  Caused more and more delay.

All I'm waiting on now is my Spikes flash suppressor and a funky DPMS "Glacier" black hand guard and soaking my BCG in some Mobil 1 and then I'll be ready for the range.  :))

Managed to get my last Spike's mid-length AR15 carbine done too.

So far, everything seems operable and checks out.  Hopefully next weekend I'll get some range time.   8)

Good.  Anxious to see how you like shooting it.  I don't use a rear rest (just a bipod) and in El Paso a breeze is 10 to 15 mph, and the range is on the side of the mountain with some tricky currents but I am getting 1 MOA regularly with the bipod and 1.5 to 2 off hand at 100-yards.  One of these days I will get my left finger trained properly and get fully used to the MechArmor trigger, but I am happy with the receiver set (very tight, no play) and the barrel (Faxon 18").