• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sig P716, Yep, It's a Pistol!

jtallen83

This "Pistol" followed me home from a gun show today;

post-12531-0-39015100-1431745349_thumb.jpost-12531-0-87364300-1431745360_thumb.jpost-12531-0-51612800-1431745388_thumb.jpost-12531-0-68424500-1431745399_thumb.j

Yep, it's a pistol! I've been so happy with my PM400 I decided to step it up a notch or so. I've been pestering all the local dealers for a price on the new ArmaLite pistols but couldn't even get a possible date when they would have a firm price let alone actually get one so I decided to try a piston gun.
My first impression is that I'm impressed. The fit and finish is great for an AR rifle. The Phase 5 buffer tube is different than my PM400 and a welcome addition. The spacer puts the "brace" in exactly the right position for me. Coincidentally the LOP needed to fit my arm is the same for my shoulder, ::)  not that I would ever fire the weapon from my shoulder and risk creating an instant SBR  :strokin:  :hornet:
The ambi safety and mag release are a big plus as well.
The biggest downside I see so far is the VERY crappy trigger, designed by a lawyer for sure with what feels like a 10 pound pull. It has major creep and is extremely gritty all the way through. A Geiselle trigger will be the first upgrade for sure!
Looks like the suppressor bill will be left to die in the Iowa senate this year     :angry:  :yup:
but if they ever do get it passed the 4 position gas block will allow for some real quiet shooting.
With a heavy schedule this weekend I won't get a chance to wring it out till the holiday so I'll report back then on what I find, I'm thinking they will be thrilled to have it at our new indoor range >:D
Edited by jtallen83

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I'm surprised they went with a Phase 5 tube.

You should upgrade to the Shockwave Brace with KAK industries tube!

What would I gain from the KAK upgrade?

From the look of the shockwave I'd be loosing some surface area at the back of the brace, last thing I want is a blade digging in to my shoulder.....just in case I fell on the thing or something, of course I'd never fire the weapon from my shoulder......... B)

That a nice looking 716. They are a beast! I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I'm guessing that one doesn't weigh no 15 pounds like mine. <thumbsup>

She is a svelte 8.6 ponds, naked.........

I haven't inspected a Sig piston yet. Not sure if it's long or short stroke, or if it is AA or HK style. Can't wait to hear more.

I'll get some pictures of the piston system as well as the bolt then, Sig calls it a short stroke system. You'll have to tell me what system it's like, I haven't seen the AA or the HK in person,

I'm gonna strip her down and lube her up first thing in the morning, maybe I should pick a name before we get that personal but then waiting to see how she shoots could have some bearing there, hope she doesn't mind if the first one is quickie....with pictures!   B)

What would I gain from the KAK upgrade?

From the look of the shockwave I'd be loosing some surface area at the back of the brace, last thing I want is a blade digging in to my shoulder.....just in case I fell on the thing or something, of course I'd never fire the weapon from my shoulder......... B)

The Shockwave KAK tube offers more adjustment points that are secure.

The Shockwave is definitely easier to use than the Sig brace. I have both.

The POF SBR that I have is a short stroke piston also. There's pictures of that thing's guts around here somewhere. And like the others, I'd like to get a little more detail on that BCG. Those are some different looking reliefs cut into that one from what I could see in the first set of pictures.

Nice acquisition. It's a Sig.

If you don't go the SBR route you could always pinn a B.E. Meyers 7.62 flash hider on that bad boy to make it a carbine. A buddy at work recently purchased one of these pistols, I need to go shooting with him so I can put some rounds down range with it. I told him about the B.E. Meyers option, he is worried about the shouldering issue with the recent ATF renig.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/be-meyers-240f.html

300blk build, 12.5" barrel with BE flashhider pinned.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=630828

If you don't go the SBR route you could always pinn a B.E. Meyers 7.62 flash hider on that bad boy to make it a carbine. 

No SBR's allowed in Iowa, they have been pimping us with suppressor bills that die but not even a mention of SBR's. I'll keep it as short as I can, if they renig on the brace thing then I guess they will have to come and take..........

The Shockwave KAK tube offers more adjustment points that are secure.

The Shockwave is definitely easier to use than the Sig brace. I have both.

Right now it feels like it fits just right, good to know there are options out there if I decide it doesn't.

Got her cleaned up and took some pictures while things were apart. Here is the BCG;

post-12531-0-34242300-1431798853_thumb.jpost-12531-0-01303200-1431798870_thumb.jpost-12531-0-36609600-1431798877_thumb.jpost-12531-0-89856600-1431798885_thumb.jpost-12531-0-22008800-1431798908_thumb.jpost-12531-0-16913800-1431798916_thumb.jpost-12531-0-86765100-1431798927_thumb.j

I noticed some differences with the pictures in the Sig manual. First there is no spring on the firing pin like my AR-10. Second was the lack of a plug and O-ring on the extractor, again like my AR-10 as well as shown and described in the owners manual. I'd be curious to hear from other 716 owners if they have these or is it something that got dropped on all 716's or just from the pistol model? ????

Gotcha,

Does IOWA have the handgun hunting regulation? Where you can only hunt certain times of the year with a handgun.

Yep, with lots of restrictions, no rifle caliber handguns being one of them..........no rifles, no feeding, no dogs, and on and on it goes. Every year people get whacked with 12 gauge slugs but they can't connect the dots. Hundreds of people pushing through the woods while others take snap shots at the running deer. They claim it isn't ethical to use dogs but then it seems fine that people get shot......

It's not ethical to use a rifle or put out food so you can get a precise shot but tracking a gut shot deer for a mile is perfectly fine.....very obvious the people making the rules are not experienced hunters......

I noticed some differences with the pictures in the Sig manual. First there is no spring on the firing pin like my AR-10. Second was the lack of a plug and O-ring on the extractor, again like my AR-10 as well as shown and described in the owners manual. I'd be curious to hear from other 716 owners if they have these or is it something that got dropped on all 716's or just from the pistol model? ????

I believe its a design feature on the BCG, Mine is the same way and all the other ones I've seen are this way.

It's not ethical to use a rifle or put out food so you can get a precise shot but tracking a gut shot deer for a mile is perfectly fine.....very obvious the people making the rules are not experienced hunters......

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about current "hunting" shows.  Horrible shot on the animal and high-fives all around..."Great shot!"

No. No it wasn't, your aim sucks and your choices suck even worse.

Things happen to the best hunter but when they do it every episode, week after week?  Puh-leeze.

I was surprised how much carbon came of the BCG from just Sigs test fire. <dontknow> I hope it stays clean, all those deep relief cuts make it a pain, not just a simple wipe down. I'm one of those people that will never be accused of over-cleaning a rifle, never experienced a carbon induced failure and I push it.

I hate breaking in new barrels................