• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sig P716, Yep, It's a Pistol!

jtallen83

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that Sig stakes the castle nut to the rear cover plate, guess they don't want it coming loose but then it would be a pain to swap tubes like this. I've never noticed this before, is it common now days or is this a Sig thing?

attachicon.gifcastle nut 001.JPGattachicon.gifcastle nut 004.JPG

It's part of milspec assembly. All top tier brands do it. It's not difficult to break the staking when you want to swap parts back there, but it will prevent the castle nut from loosening on its own.

Just checked my PM400, no castle nut on that buffer tube? I guess that's why I didn't notice. Maybe I should stake the ones on the home builds, but then I've never had one come loose....yet.

Yup, the standard sig brace RE just screws in there. Not terribly rugged, but then again it wasn't designed to be hard use.

If you're like me and tinker a lot with your rifles it probably won't be too beneficial to stake your castle nuts. I only stake the ones on the rifles I know I'm not going to change, and for the others I put a small witness mark with a pen/pencil. I can't say I've had one come loose though when torqued to the appropriate 40ft/lbs...

2? My god.......you'd hate me dude. <laughs>

I try for every trip, but I usually end up getting distracted and can't clean it till the next trip.  But any longer than 2 trips or at least a month of sitting i try to make room to clean it! <lmao>

THIS THING IS A BLAST! :hethan:
Got 60 rounds down the pipe for break-in today, the first thirty were shoot one and clean. It does have either a chrome lining or melonite but Sig doesn't seem to know which one so I thought I'd clean the copper out of the first bunch just to be safe, can't go backwards later.
Last 30 rounds are the target shown, iron sights at 50 yards with the last 5 of those being as fast as I could reasonably get the sight picture back, a good brake would help speed this up for sure.I cleaned every 5 rounds for the last 30.
post-12531-0-23096400-1432412139_thumb.j
She is a loud one but as far as recoil goes I didn't notice much difference from my AR-10, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about when it comes to short 308's. Maybe I just don't notice recoil due to all the nerve damage from a broken neck? ???
I'd say if you think these are excessive on recoil then you better just stick with a .22.
Our local range has built 10 foot tunnels for firing positions so you are surrounded by muzzle blast;
post-12531-0-43191200-1432412271_thumb.j
That is 3/8 inch steel plate for a roof, safety first, hearing....maybe later.
The trigger actually started to smooth out a little, it still has a long way to go to be close to satisfactory though.
As far as not cleaning the bolt goes that is fantasy world. There is so much brass smeared everywhere on the bolt face, lugs, and around the chamber you'd swear it just went a thousand rounds! I'm hoping this will lessen as the round count builds. Carbon wise it is pretty clean. No reloading for this brass. Big gouges from the feedramps and then the ejection is so strong that most of the mouths were severely dented from banging into the wall. A chunk of grip tape on the deflector seems to have mitigated any case shoulder denting.
I did induce one malfunction, I set the gas to the suppressor setting just to see what it would do, bolt stopped about an inch back. No problem though, just yanked the charging handle and reset the gas block, back in action!
Now to get the scope mounted, get those MK319 rounds in, and then stretch it out!
Damn I hope Iowa passes that suppressor law soon......
Edited by jtallen83

Made it back to the range late this afternoon with dad and my Granddaughter. Another 120 rounds, 50 Pakistani surplus, 50 1975 headstamped Indian surplus, and another 20 ZQ1. My Granddaughter had a couple double feeds at first but once I got her to lean in hard and hold it tight, she might be 75 pounds when wet, the issues stopped. My biggest concern is the large quantity of brass shavings I'm seeing, this will eventually gum something up..........

Give it a few hundred rounds. Mine left brass shavings like no other until I got about 500 rounds into her. She still leaves a little shaving but nothing like it was. And looking good, actually took mine out this weekend. Ill see about getting some photos up on a new page for y'all to see when I get around to it. :)

:auto:

• 4 months later...

I'm hitting near 300 rounds in this P716 now and seeing failure to extracts like this while out zeroing an Aimpoint on it;

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.a25e195a4431ffdb179cb

It is also leaving the last round laying on the magazine....had to do a double take at first thinking I had the Matrix but it is working fine now.  It leaves the last empty on the mag even when the gas block is adjusted to the adverse setting.

Just finished celebrating not having to send one rifle in and now this "pistol" starts acting up.......might have to see if the Armalite spring will fit her as well:(

Extractor looks fine, like new. I can't seem to fit the Armalite spring set but may be able to get the doughnut and plug to work with the Sig spring. Stupid proprietary crap, I can't even get a spare parts kit from Sig. They screw themselves cause if I can't get this to work then it goes back under warranty on their dime.

• 1 month later...

Just put 90 rounds through the "pistol" after getting it back from Sig, no issues so far. They reamed the chamber, polished the chamber and feed ramps, fired 20 rounds, and shipped it back.

I thought it was strange I had to re-zero the Aimpoint PRO, needed to come down 4 inches and left an inch. I had taken off and replaced the sight numerous times and it had held zero, something they did changed the relationship?????/

• 3 weeks later...

Made it just over 100 rounds and the same issue pops up again, like they never did a thing;

716.thumb.jpg.9b581d13553bafd5364d983fc7

I think I'll swap the ejector spring for an Armalite spring and see what that does...........really hate to ship it back to Sig and get the run around about ammo type, if the thing won't run on M80 ball then it shouldn't be on the market. You can bet Sig will never publish that their $1800 AR will only function with match ammo.

I understand you'r frustration brother,my Sig 1911 Scorpion Carry had FTF & FTE issues.Sent it to Sig,they returned it saying they fixed tight chamber extractor put 50 rds through it but still had almost they same problems.Brother Larry tweaked it some more to resolve my issues.They [Sig] paid postage to send it to them,but still had problems.I don't get it.

I have 2 MK 25's and a PM400 that have never missed a beat, don't clean them, shoot crap ammo, shoot at 17 below or 100 degrees and they just keep running. This P716 is turning into the same problem my P938 has been, 3 times they have had the 938 back and told me it was fixed and "in spec". I truly have a love it or hate it relationship with Sig..............

• 2 weeks later...