Lets see some targets - Range Pictures

imschur

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I went out with my newly Desert Camo painted DPMS 308 with 16" and 4-12x40 Nikon with BDC..

at  100 yards I was picking off CLAYS and shooting 3" AR500 steel.    <thumbsup>

Also shot 200 yards.. (the HEAD is 5" wide on this target (reduced QIT))

Nothing fancy.. all with cheap Brown Bear 145gr FMJ..

I imagine with the better ammo I'd be a little tighter..

Also picked off the same 3" Steel and 4" Clays with relative ease..

Al

post-419-136297266475_thumb.jpg

post-419-136297266477_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My long awaited setup:

DPMS LR308 24" SS barrel

Millet TRS1 scope

Magpul PRS stock w/ magpul accu-shot monopod

Geissel ssa trigger

Harris bipod

I sighted scope in a couple of weeks ago at 200 yds, using Lake City 7.62x51 150 gr surplus ammo. I was getting 2" to 3" groups at best. Bought a box of Federal Gold Match 168 gr BTHP to see what difference it would make. WOW is all I can say!

First up is same 150 grain surplus at 100 yds. Was trying to guage hold under for that yardage. Found it after a few shots.

Second pic started using the Federal ammo. First shot was using same hold under as before. Shot low, so put cross hairs on target and came up with this 9 shot group. I was impressed about the 3 shots in the same hole.

Third pic is a second 9 shot group. I knew I pulled the one on the right when it went. The rifle is accurate, I'm not.....

We weren't using the best platform to shoot from, just our own redneck version. We strapped a fold-up card table to a 16 ft trailer and put the jack down for stability and used a fold up dove hunting stool to sit on. There was still a lot of moving around. What can I say.....Poor folks have poor ways. <dontknow>

There was a little breeze coming in from about ten o'clock. I need a little more trigger time with this rifle. I also need to learn how to slow my heart rate down to ZERO, because my scope would move side to side with every heart beat..... damn high blood pressure.  :o  All in all, I am very pleased with this new rifle and can only expect to get better with it.

post-806-136297268956_thumb.jpg

post-806-136297268958_thumb.jpg

post-806-13629726896_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, got out to the range about 2:30pm today, and they close at 5pm.  Overcast, no good vis on the longer distance targets (out to 550 yards), but everything up to 250 was easily visible.  That comes into play later...

Had to zero the 5.56 Woody and the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle today.  The Woody is all completely irons, but the Scout is a mini red dot.

Here's the Woody - National Match stainless heavy barrel and National Match carry handle rear sights; I still need to pick up the skinny front sight post for it, and a couple other things.  Not quite complete yet, but it needed to be shot.

Both guns, being brand new and never shot, we initially shot at 25 yards.  I went to 50 yards after that, since it was a short day.  On the Woody, I'll end up with a 300-yard zero, eventually, just based on military-ingrained mentality for a 20" 5.56 gun with irons.  I'm thinking right now that I like having the Scout set up like it is - with the red dot and a zero that will go from 50 yards to 250 yards. 

The Woody first:

Wood12.jpg

25 yard sight-in - all shot groups were 5-rd groups, just to get everything set up.  Explanation in the pic itself, but I installed the A1 front sight post flush with the sight base, and I didn't touch the RRA NM carry handle sights - they were shipped this way.  What you see in Group 1 is the way the sights were shipped, and install flush (front).  At 25, I think I got it pretty good:

11DecWoody25yards.jpg

I made a minor adjustment when I shot at 50 - first group is the upper right (in red circle), then the minor adjustment for the 50 yard zero (dead nuts centered):

11DecWoody50yards.jpg

I rocked that thing after that.  Hits on the 150, 200, and 250 steel were all there (man-sized steel silhouettes), and it was a great feeling.  <thumbsup>

The Scout:

100_0168.jpg

Here's the 25 yard target for the Scout - this rifle will very quickly become my favorite rifle, too.  What a load of fun, and practical use.  Talk about a brush gun from hell!  I love it already...  ;D  First shot group at 25 is 5 rounds - those things were stacked, and I had the sight set on lower power to make the dot smaller and more precise.  I was surprised at that group, even though it was 25 yards with a red dot. After the first group, I only did two round strings, then adjusted:

11DecScout25yards.jpg

From that point, I went to the 50 yard target, shot 5, and checked it - looks like 4 holes, but there were 5 shots, and I didn't miss.  These were fired as fast as I could work the action and get the red dot back on target:

11DecScout50yards.jpg

I left it right there, and started shooting the targets at 150, 200, and 250.  Ringing the larger steel targets with regularity.  <thumbsup>

Overall, I'm REALLY impressed with the Woody.  I can't wait to get the Young NM BCG in there and the skinny front sight post, along with the Fulton NM A2 flash suppressor - that will complete it, and I really want to shoot it again with the skinny front sight post.  What a great build. 

The Scout is something else - what a fun gun.  I'd take that thing anywhere, just as it is.  I planned to put a long-eye-relief Burris pistol scope on it, but I might just leave it like this.  One thing I WILL do is pick up a Spike's .308 Dynacomp and mount that on the end of the barrel, just to see what it does.  This is the perfect bolt gun to suppress, I'm thinking.  :o <laughs>

Took the Scout back out today, and checked everything out at 100 yards.

Federal 150gr soft-points today.  100 yards.  Red dot.  I'll take this all day long at 100 with a red dot.  <thumbsup>  Shot it out to 400, and had the hits on steel, with some holdover.  Shot at the 500 and 550, and got close, but I wouldn't make a hunting shot at those ranges with the red dot, like it is now.  I was surprised at how it did out to 400, though - I'd make that hunting shot with it. 

I flung one out there, to the left...  <dontknow>

11D14Decscout100yards.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks brother imschur now that winters here the range won't be crowded to spend more time at 100 yrds. and I think a cooler barrel can only help.Shoot on bro.

It's been warm as hell here. Tuesday I signed the paperwork and joined a club with a 200 yard range. Naturally the temperature plummeted and the wind has been blowing since.

• 3 weeks later...

OK  So this is how ya do it <laughs> drive 50 miles to the dang best range around

IMG_0210-1.jpg

Then you give way to the Lil Lady

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/washguy/IMG_0207-1.jpg

Then ya get this

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/washguy/IMG_0200-1.jpg

<thumbsup>  Wash

Treat her right.......... or DIE. <laughs>

Her firing hand grip needs work.  Just sayin'.

Hiya 98Z5V    I showed Char the pictures...and she said " Yes,  98z is right on the grip...but honey dont you remember? I was just posing for the camera,and you know how I fidget around before I get serious on the target?" and I said  "yes dear"....and she said " and dont you remember how I banged the 6" steel plate at 500 yards on the first try of me ever shooting that far?"...and I said  "yes dear" <lmao>

Wash

• shepp unpinned this topic