imschur

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Welcome from a guy from Oshkosh, NE.  other sites I'm known as AKsarben. :)

Guess I should post a pic..... this is Wiley Coyote that was in the back yard, 335 yards.  Shot with the 6.8 SPCII 16" AR Performance rifle with the 1:11.25 twist 5R barrel.  All home built. (it's a piston gun too).

coyote_med_6.8spc2.jpg

Yeah, you need to buy that Tubb brake and mess with it.  You have some pretty impressive groups, so you have the skill to tell us what that brake will do on a 308AR.  You're also a Boeing machinist (former life, as stated), so you can make that exact brake for a 308AR.

I couldn't find any internet reference to AKsarben on gun boards, or other boards and sites - that search comes up with a whole bunch of junk, but not other sites with discussion.

Please help out with which other sites those are, 'cause I get this:

https://www.google.com/#q=AKsarben

I'm not a troll.  I'm AKsarben at 68forums,  http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?50755-Difference-betweeen-5R-like-ARP-and-5R-Polygon-barrels/page2   M4 Carbine forums as AKsarben  http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php,  SIG forums  http://sigforum.com/eve/forums, and AkSarBen at AR15 forums: http://www.ar15.com/forums/  and, where I probably started with the AKsarben name (AK as in Kalisnikov) was at Saiga Forums.  I had a .223 and a .308 Saiga at one time.  http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/53559-how-or-could-better-accuracy-be-achivied/?hl=aksarben#entry511695  Picture here of the .223 group and reference to that AKsarben name.

Edited by Gibbs

Thanks for setting that straight.

I grew up in rural western Nebraska.  In Omaha, there was a society, I think, with the name Ak-Sar-Ben, which is Nebraska spelled backwards.  Since I used to shoot some AK type weapons, I just made the first part capitol letters.  AKsarben. :)

I shave with a straight razor sometimes, and found one with that unique name on it (made in Germany) and restored it from this:

aksarben_b4_L.jpg

To this....

aksarben_after_L.jpg

Shaves pretty nice too.  Had to loose just a little off the end because of the broken blade, but otherwise pretty good.

Edited by Gibbs

Yeah, that was pretty random. 

It stemmed from a private message about being new and not posting too many links as the long term guys in here have been smitten with trolls that are new, post links, argue just for the sake of it.  So I took what he had to say at heart and thought about all the many links I have posted in here in such a short time.  It might make one wonder if I was instigating something, but really not.  I'm just a curious sort and like to learn from those that have read, heard or done things that I haven't.  We can all learn, all the time.  I may ask an odd question every now and then, but it's those odd questions or remarks that help to create dialog and new ideas.

Edited by Gibbs

It stemmed from a private message about being new and not posting too many links as the long term guys in here have been smitten with trolls that are new, post links, argue just for the sake of it.  So I took what he had to say at heart and thought about all the many links I have posted in here in such a short time.  It might make one wonder if I was instigating something, but really not.  I'm just a curious sort and like to learn from those that have read, heard or done things that I haven't.  We can all learn, all the time.  I may ask an odd question every now and then, but it's those odd questions or remarks that help to create dialog and new ideas.

...and you didn't listen to one sage piece of advice that he gave you.  You went on about your way, anyway, after he told you.

In what I highlighted, in red... 

You don't learn from what other people say.  That doesn't give you experience.  Doing what other people say, and practicing it to the point of proficiency, then failure - that gives you experience.

It's pretty easy to see, in the written word, when someone knows what they're talking about - or if they're just repeating something they read.

You shoot well enough.  Many of the things you say don't jive with that - like you're looking for information, and it's information that you should already know, based on how well you say (and post pictures of) you are shooting.

Something about you just doesn't add up...

Edited by 98Z5V

Wanting to learn and wanting to contribute, not just always be the taker, but also give something as well.  When I joined this forum, it had been a while since I was at the 68forums and when I was there it was pretty much given to me in their threads that barrel twist had a huge bearing on reloading pressures.  I have since learned in here and from trying to "teach" all of you about barrel twist giving higher pressure the tighter the twist eg  1:10 vs 1:12.  Which I concede now is all bunk.  Until you get into something like a 1:4 twist does the twist have hardly any bearing on pressures developed in the case during firing.  Freebore of the Spec II chamber has a LOT more bearing on lower chamber pressure than twist ever had.  They had even convinced on barrel maker of how bad his barrels were at a 1:10 twist barrel and that the 6.8 SPCII would ALWAYS do much better at 1:11 or 1:12 twist for pressure, which as I say now.. BS.  Kind of like the 5.56 NATO chamber has more freebore than a .223 and why you can get by with higher pressure military ammo in a 5.56 than you can in a chamber of only for .223, which is a lot on the freebore (distance before the bullet actually engages the rifling).

I keep thinking there might be some magic pill some magic ingredient that someone has come across that makes dime or one hole groups on rifles.  But, if that were the case then logically, all that money spent for really nice custom high grade barrels that you pay a good price for would be for naught, huh?  Most production barrels are designed to give good chamber pressures, put out the bullet in a fairly good manner, but only through tinkering around with the load enough can you achieve something the barrel "likes" that gives you the right pressure and bullet combination for that barrel.  I guess there are no shortcuts, but there are always techniques that do help.

I've shot and/or owned rifles from the lowly 22K Hornet, that my gun smith friend north of Crawford, NE chamber reamed for me from a 22 Hornet rifle into the 22 K Hornet, all the way up to a rifle I shot a few time a friend owned, a .460 Weatherby Magnum.  Brute for kicking and made my eyes water every shot.  When I lived in Washington State and in Nebraska I hunted with a .338 Winchester Magnum, (Ruger M77 model).  WAY over gunned for deer in Nebraska (it was more for the Elk in WA) but with heavy thick copper jackets it did not open up too much on deer and surprisingly did not damage the meat as much as say a .243 Winchester might.   Even wrote an article for Craig Boddington on time in 1987 for Petersen's Hunting magazine about Nebraska's first Elk Season hunt and a 15 year old that shot a magnificent Elk in NW Nebraska. 

In pistols I've shot just about everything.  I started out with my "Mom's" (bless her heart) Ruger Super Black Hawk .44 Mag that I and an older and good friend handloaded for it.  I kept it pretty mild as far as Magnums go but Bob seemed like he pushed it to the upper most level and then some.  His .44 mag when I shot it I swear the screws were thinking of backing out and running off.  When I was a Deputy in Nebraska we were issued Glock .40 S&W and really kind of would have preferred a .45 ACP instead, but we learned and trained quite often with those Glocks, but it was the last time I was to shoot one.  Also I really preferred not to get back into .40 caliber, but that's just me.  It is kind of like a short version of a 10mm, which I had for a short while in Wash State and really never cared for that either.

I've been lucky at getting some nice shots in and some good advice on reloading.  I think reloading makes a lot of difference on good groups, and I post my best targets, but don't throw up the ones that are scattered all over the target.  I know you all have them around too,... targets that make you think.. What was I doing to get this group??!!

I had a lot of left over reloading components for the LR308 from my time with the Saiga .308.  It was a great shooter, and very reliable and sometimes I wonder if I as stupid to sell it off, but I needed the money at the time and seemed like the thing to do.  Many times I give up a gun to get another, in sort of a trade off.  So, the Saiga went and provided a little money for me to work toward building a 6.8 SPCII rifle. 

I've posted a few pictures at my one web site, www.taurus45acp.com  and kind of a brief biography, along with my links page that has info on concealed carry, different laws, etc etc.  It was a REALLY large Elk.  Too bad it had an extra brow tine this year (previous year I was told it did not) as that length and girth subtracted quite a lot from the Boone & Crocket scoring.

nebraska_big_elk_article.jpg

Edited by Gibbs

• shepp unpinned this topic