• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

20 hours ago, Morgwar said:

My first rifle was an ak clone wasr 10. With surprisingly decent accuracy (2moa@100yds) I got the bug and fearing the horror stories of my crazy Vietnam vet neighbor (lord rest his warrior soul) I stuck with kalishnakov pattern and picked up a psl 54c in 7.62x54. I was happily able, with effort and patience, to squeeze out 1 MOA YAY!!!!!  Got tired of fighting to get that over the years, and a new ex military buddy of mine sat me down and extolled the history improvement and accuracy of the AR platform.  I have little issue with taking the word of a Marine out of the sand wars. Sand was the ar's worst enemy and his served him faithfully. But the 7.62x54 was an awesome round and if I wanted that kinda punch it was to be .308 or 30.06

I'm starting with a .308 dpms platform kit from moriarti arms and after that the Noreen 30.06. Rifle 

There's no replacement for displacement man.

If there is no replacement for displacement should go right to the Norren bad news 338 lapua 

http://onlylongrange.com/bad-news-338-lapua-magnum/

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JJ109 said:

If there is no replacement for displacement should go right to the Norren bad news 338 lapua 

http://onlylongrange.com/bad-news-338-lapua-magnum/

That would be my "just won the lottery" gun buy.  That, maybe a NEMO, and if Desert Tech ever gets the DT MDR done. 

https://deserttech.com/html/product_overview.php?product_id=4&load=product_overview

Oh, and I'll need three of those IOR Valdada 40mm tube scopes at $3700 a pop.

8 minutes ago, Crankbait said:

That would be my "just won the lottery" gun buy.  That, maybe a NEMO, and if Desert Tech ever gets the DT MDR done. 

https://deserttech.com/html/product_overview.php?product_id=4&load=product_overview

Oh, and I'll need three of those IOR Valdada 40mm tube scopes at $3700 a pop.

LOL yea me to. Its nice to dream or i could just put it on the plastic. But regardless I think the wife would :fullauto:

Got to shoot the FNC1A1(Canadian FN FAL) as a kid,love the 308. Currently(one has to have hope it will change) the FN is prohibited firearm in Canada(wasn't always) and I missed the window to be grandfathered. The 308AR is available and I can shoot it,although in Canada it's a restricted class firearm thus limited to approved ranges. 

Have an  AR-10 SUPERSASS Carbine and know waiting on a Colt LE901 lower.The plan is to build some AR-10s in the near future

3 minutes ago, washguy said:

Gaucho.      That super sass is a heavy bitch .....aint it?     Two times out with it and off came the barrel...lol

Wash

Well the 16" barrel is 2.7lbs lighter then the 20" ...of course haven't put her on scales with scope/ammo but I know better then to ask a lady her weight. Up here it's strictly a range toy so weight isn't as critical and pulling the trigger makes me happy.

Washguy,

What barrel did you replace your's with?weight savings?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've pondered it for some time.  Oddly my mantra over the years has been 'the correct number of firearms to own is whatever you currently own plus one more!'.  As of late though I have ben decluttering my life in all areas.  If I am not using it it's gone.  If I can shoot with the same accuracy or close enough as my trusty bolts w/o picking up maintenance hassles and about the same weight, but gain semi auto and lose some recoil?  Even for a simpleton like me that's a win.  I'v never been crazy about cheek weld on AR's, but with the magpul I can rectify the comb height and length of pull easily.  

Sorry, should have been more specific. Built the 300BLK up several years ago, great cartridge, it is the perfect round to replace the MP5 I carried for 20yrs, we sat around the team room for years talking about a US produced AK type round. Have just recently built my ar308/w 12.5 barrel and after some testing 25-500yds am quite impressed with it. Not the blast and fire ball all the so called pros talk about and my avg fps/per inch loss is only around 30 fps. Bullets weights tested have been 110gr-168, the 110 just over 3000fps, 168 a solid 2620fps...not shabby from a short barrel. Only short fall is magazine weight/25rds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:32 AM, FreQRiDeR said:

I wanted something more gentile to shoot than my 300 win mag. 

Besides, I don't get to stretch the 300's legs too often around here, so I got an AR10 Tac16! Really enjoying it! 

LOL  My hand me down hunting rifle is a model 70 Winchester 300 H&H Magnum.   Awesome rifle!!  Nothing walks away after the crosshairs. Love that gun but could use something a little tamer as you said. Buddy introduced me to the AR world and I like the idea of a .308 AR, so, the build has started.

2 hours ago, SNKEBIT said:

LOL  My hand me down hunting rifle is a model 70 Winchester 300 H&H Magnum.   Awesome rifle!!  Nothing walks away after the crosshairs. Love that gun but could use something a little tamer as you said. Buddy introduced me to the AR world and I like the idea of a .308 AR, so, the build has started.

That thing must kick like a donkey ! Lol ! My Win 70 featherweight in 300wsm sure does.

28 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

That thing must kick like a donkey ! Lol ! My Win 70 featherweight in 300wsm sure does.

The only time you "feel" the kick is sighting in.  Deer hunting you don't feel a thing!  Obviously, one doesn't take it to the range and shoot a couple boxes!!!  :laffs:Shoulder gets black and blue real quick.

13 minutes ago, SNKEBIT said:

The only time you "feel" the kick is sighting in.  Deer hunting you don't feel a thing!  Obviously, one doesn't take it to the range and shoot a couple boxes!!!  :laffs:Shoulder gets black and blue real quick.

Wrong !!!!!!!!

We do !!! Everyone Everyone Everyone that shoots out here in AZ shoots my win 70. Ha ha ha... Ouch !

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the original question, I had a heck of a time thinking about it. All I can say is the reason I ended up getting the 308AR, it was a natural. The first firearm my father introduced me to was a .38 snub nose, then when I was 15, he brought out his .357. Somewhere between those two, my Grandfather handed me his 30-06 and we went to his fields for some target practice. Somewhere about then I was introduced to my fathers 12 and uncles 20 gauge shotguns. As a kid at that time, I don't remember knowing anyone owning anything smaller than a 30-30 lever action. Hell, that was on the short side of 5 decades ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to put together a 308AR because it is something that has been on my mind for a few years. I like .30 cal rifles above 5.56/.223. My first rifle was a Mosin, which made me love .30 cal. I have a WASR 10 and Norinco 93 Sporter. My hunting rifle is in 308. So it made sense for me to take the next step into the semi auto, big bore world. In addition I've become increasingly interested in precision marksmanship of the past few years. 

Hello all.

New poster here. Well kinda new as I haven't posted in almost 2 years ( only posted a few times then and can't access my old account). Three reasons I went with 308. (Bushmaster BR-308) 1) Plenty of time with the 5.56 downrange so I decided I wanted more gun when I bought one for fun. 2)More versatile caliber for hunting.  3) When my old .45 carry gun gave up the ghost I replaced it with a 9mm and to keep my Man Card I had to go with something bigger than a 5.56:evil: 

Edited by triggersqueeze