• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to get into the .308 for 3 Gun Heavy Metal. 

Not willing to compete with the folks running the high capacity 9mm that might make minor, along with their shotguns with a magazine extension that looks more like a breaching standoff, and those little bullet guns with the C-More sticks “a spraying and a praying”.

I like the idea of the .308, 870, and 1911.  I have a SOCOM but just can't get the magazine changes down to anything that isn't funny to watch.  I had the same problem with the M-21 while at Bragg, so it's nothing new.

Have talked with my gunsmith about building a multipurpose .308. 

We're working on the lower right now (DPMS, B.A.D.A.S.S safety, MAGPUL MOE Stock, MAGPUL ASAP Sling Adapter, and Troy Industries Ambidextrous Magazine Release).  I'm thinking that I want some sort of aftermarket trigger, but I'm just starting the research on that.

I want three complete tops for the project:  12” carbine; 18” LRT-SASS; and a 24” “touch something”

We'll get the LRT-SASS top directly from DPMS (or someone else, if cheaper).  This will be my competition gun with its 18” barrel and metal sights.  Just need to look at the best muzzle break that lives within the rules.

We'll pull the 16” barrel off of the existing top and replace it with a 24” fluted bull barrel, vented FFT, bi-pod, and an unknown scope.  It will also wear the YHM Phantom QD on the end of the barrel for obvious reasons.

The fun will come when we get around to the carbine version.  Still need to do more research on all of the laws, but I'll stick an EOTECH, BUIS, light, vertical fore grip, YHM Phantom QD, and maybe some sort of laser.  Who knows for sure, but I'll bet it will be really neat to play with.

Don

Hi Guys!  what made me go to the 308?  peer pressure  lol  I swore i would never do a 308...i just got through building two 6.8 spc's thinking  that would be just fine...no heavy gun for me...lol  So, yesterday I ordered a mega  ma 10,a dpms sass 18" barrel,chrome bolt, troy extrme battle rail,and rr match trigger to go along with the rest of the lower stuff......I swear no more rifles for me!  BTW  great forum  here!

:)  Wash

• 5 weeks later...

I love to hog hunt, and the .223 did the job ok with a well placed head shot, but the .308 gave more margin of error along with the fact that others  I hunt with, did not have to worry if I decided to harvest a deer it had a better chance of being DRT.

Did not have a .308, always wanted one.  After working up a couple of rifles on the semi platform in 5.56 and .204 that are insanely accurate, decided that I could satisfy the .308 craving in a rifle I was basically familiar with.

Being an add on junkie, I have changed out the parts and pieces on my Armalite till I have what I want.  It is not a light weapon, but it sure is accurate, and it gives me several advantages over a bolt action, in my mind anyway. 

As a handloader, it is a dream to work with.  I simplify when I can, settled on the 165 gr. Gameking Sierra, now if they would just make more of them...

I wanted a rifle that could shoot accurately further than AR15 and be used for hunting elk and deer. I liked the AR platform and the way the rifle handled. I shot my dpms on sunday for the first time and had a blast! Accurate and a mild recoil.

Put a scope on a AK and shot some shotgun shells at 100yds one day at the range

and that was fun as hell.

Then I thought what would it be like to shoot to 1000yds? AWESOME!!!

So I decided to build an AR, compared the 2 calibers and then looked

for 1k ranges in my state and found one only 1 1/2hrs south.

That was the deciding factor.

AL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here and I'm new to the AR platform.  I decided to go big or go home.  I some good shooting 223 bolts so I just went straight to the 308.  I suppose I'm starting cheap though.  I'm picking up a DPMS Oracle tomorrow.  Can't wait to clean it and take it to the range and see how it shoots my hand loads.

I'm new here and I'm new to the AR platform.  I decided to go big or go home.  I some good shooting 223 bolts so I just went straight to the 308.  I suppose I'm starting cheap though.  I'm picking up a DPMS Oracle tomorrow.  Can't wait to clean it and take it to the range and see how it shoots my hand loads.

Well if it makes you feel better my DPMS LR-308 will eat just about ANY ammo.. Brown Bear to Hornady Steel Casings to Wolf To Tula, German DAG/MEN, and then Hornady Amax to Federal OTM.. and the groups are pretty tight.. IMHO..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good post.  I have always had a love/dislike for the larger calibers, ever since my Dad put a British 303  Jungle carbine (with some tracer bullets) up to my scrawny 13 year old shoulder and smiled and said "see what this is like!"  <laughs> Owwweeeee.  I recently ( I'm over 50 now)  came into a M14S, which my Uncle carried in the war over in Vietnam.  It just kinda re-opened up some memories and desires I had.  So, I kinda latched onto the 308, through my family and the military connections.

I've owned an M1A and a FN-FAL.  I love the punch of the .308.  It's a good hunting cartridge and at need answers the call for a combat round in a way that 5.56 and 7.62x39 don't, ie good range capabilities, sufficient oomph at longer distances, and the ability to turn what is "cover" against lesser rounds back into "concealment".  I have two AR-15s and I like the AR-10 platform commonality of controls and ergonomics.  The M1A met my requirements for accuracy and reliability, but not for commonality and optics mounting.  The FN-FAL met my needs as far as reliability, ergonomics and optics mounting, but came up short on accuracy and commonality of controls.  The LR-308 is nearly as accurate as my Remington 700 SPS with match ammo, as reliable as the FAL, and matches my AR-15s in 5.56 and my dedicated 22lr practice upper.  With the DPMS using SR-25 type mags I can get brand new mags from Magpul that are 100% every  time and are less than $20.  The FAL, it's getting hard to find good mags.  The surplus is drying up and they're all 40-50 year old mags.  Nobody yet is producing a 100% aftermarket mag for the platform.  You can go through a dozen surplus mags to get 6-8 that work.  You tinker with the rest, but can you absolutely rely on any of them?  M1A mags are either expensive or iffy.  Absolute reliability of optics mounting on the M1A requires an after-market stock, which is expensive and heavy as hell though it does make for one superb weapon.  The AR-10 platform was MADE for mounting anything you care to with thousands of options.

Wish list:

At some point I hope we're going to see the development of the AR-10 market that we've seen in the AR-15.  Particularly, I'd like to be able to put a dedicated 22lr upper on my .308.  I'd also like to see the platform developed, as the AR-15 has been, for uppers in other calibers up to .308 length.  I'd love a short-barrel, heavy caliber CQB upper in a .45 to .50 diameter, maybe based on the 45/70, designed like the .458 SOCOM to single-stack in a standard mag and hit like a concrete block out a 10-story window.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always been a .30 caliber type. I've been skeptical of the AR-15 platform up until about 2 years ago. As soon as I got sold on the AR-15, a .308 was only a matter of time.

That said, though I have yet to actually fire a .308 AR type rifle, I have a hunch that I'm going to end up equally appreciating both the .223 and .308 versions.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite rifle caliber is the .308 Win. so naturally a .308 AR was my only AR option. (not to mention you can't hunt deer in VA with .223)

I became hooked on .308 the moment I purchased and shot the Savage 10FP in .308 Win.. Sub MOA groups all day long. Worst gun day of my life was the day I sold that rifle. The NEXT greatest gun day will be when I purchase another Savage rifle in .308 Win that shoots sub MOA. This one....from my cold dead fingers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked the .308, had a couple of M1As.  The M14 community is constantly searching for bolts, op-rods, trigger groups, etc.

Looked at many of the currently available options in the .308 semi-auto offerings, SCAR, RFB, FAL, but the AR10-types are making a type of comeback.  As someone else mentioned, better metals, better engineering.

After researching them, I went with the RRA LAR-8 Operator.  Found new production FAL mags at AIM Surplus.  Been real happy with it!

Jon