• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

I've built a couple of AR 15s, but it was way back 20 some years ago. Even in the Marines I was never impressed with the 5.56/.223 as a practical cartridge. When I got rid of my last AR 15 I never had a desire to replace it. Since then I've stuck with more traditional hunting rifles, being more practical for my needs and for where I lived.

I had the opportunity to handle my Brother in Law's Rock River LAR-8 a couple of years ago and thought it might be interesting, and although he wasn't real happy with that particular rifle, I figured it might make a good hog gun if it were reliable ad accurate enough... I still wasn't sold, though, until my son and I were talking about it recently... he went and bought a PSA PA10 yesterday, and so now I've done a bunch of research and have decided to jump on the bandwagon and get my own. I just need to make sure I can hit what I'm pointing at by the time we meet up in December for our annual Texas hog hunt.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Armed Eye Doc said:

Practice well and bring plenty of ammo.  There's lots of hogs down here.:fullauto:

Yep, and that's one of the reasons I decided to join the dark side... my 4+1 Ruger Deerfield .44 Mag just doesn't cut it in the middle of a mass charge. The magazines on these things are a bitch to change out in a hurry!

31622333405_9b79a4d74f_z.jpg

Oh, my bud's 6.8 SPC AR-15 cracked his bolt near the cam pin hole.  Seems like hollowing out an mil spec 5.56 bolt face for 6.5 and 6.8 diameter ammo casings weakens it -  glad he caught it during a routine cleaning after our range outing last week !  Scary part of it is that he isn't very thorough about cleaning - he threw his BCG into my sonic cleaner for five minutes just for curiosity's sake about the sonic cleaner and he had quite the surprise.

Just now, Crankbait said:

IMHO those Barnes 150gr TSX copper triple shock should be ideal for hogs.  2900 fps and a modest recoil.  I'd almost be tempted to use a red dot over a scope... 

I agree on the Red Dot... it's almost a necessity for fast shots on moving critters. The one on my Ruger (pictured) is a Mueller MX-1, not a super high end sight by any means but it does the trick.I don't know if it would hold up to a .308 AR, though. I'll have to do some more research on that.

I don't know a whole lot about .308 load options, so I am going to be digging in to find the best combination of bullet vs. speed for this setup. I've never used Barnes or any other solid copper bullet of any caliber, but the lighter weight with less recoil and a bit more speed might be the way to go for fast follow ups.

That Federal Fusion at 150 grains is a great deal for a very good hunting bullet at $23.50 per box 20.  It's a bonded soft point that's going to expand quite a bit and pretty much stay in one piece.  Personally, I think it's the best value for loaded .308 hunting ammo on the market that's commonly available just about anywhere.  Every WalMart seems to have it.

I'd stay away from Match Bullets or Military Ball or steel case Russian stuff for the actual hunting part. 

My DPMS Gen2 with 16 inch barrel actually groups best with 168 grain match bullets at 200 yards, but in the brush I would think the slightly lighter recoiling 150grain would be better for the fast follow-ups.  Also, the lighter bullets typically have a shorter Cartridge Overall Length, which makes them feed and eject better than the heavier longer cartridges in an AR.  About the last thing you need is to be stuck in thicket with a pissed off boar charging you with a pack of pit bulls in hot pursuit and a stuck case in your rifle ....  

43 minutes ago, Crankbait said:

About the last thing you need is to be stuck in thicket with a pissed off boar charging you with a pack of pit bulls in hot pursuit and a stuck case in your rifle ....  

Kinda like coming face to face with a wounded hog in a small clearing with an empty mag in a Ruger Deerfield... which is why I now carry a Glock 30/460 Rowland. I'll say it again, those Ruger rotary magazines are a bitch to swap in a hurry.

31 minutes ago, rdblackmon99 said:

I've been interested in purchasing a .308 for a long time, I was also considering purchasing something in the AR format. I stopped by my favorite local shop to check out what he had in stock, he pointed out the price on the weapon I purchased and the rest is history, 2 birds one stone.

Welcome to the forum.  What did you get?

• 1 month later...

A long time ago I bought an AK 47. It was so good that I kept it for 28 years, until iron sights became an issue for my eyes.

Long story short - I sold the ak and had enough money for two rifles, so I got another ak (decided not to modify the old legend but get something american made as a platform), put a 3x scope on it and also a 308 ar (same rig basically). I had avoided anything built like an m16 since 1971 because every one I had in the army was a piece of crap.

I really still believe that it's better to build a rifle out of steel than aluminum, but I like the way my new AR operates (mostly). So, this might not be a popular opinion around here - no offense intended...

I do intend to keep my ar 308 and continue to shoot it and I will do anything I can (or can afford to) do to improve it - but I still shoot better with an AK.

One foot in both worlds :)

50 minutes ago, richyankee said:

A long time ago I bought an AK 47. It was so good that I kept it for 28 years, until iron sights became an issue for my eyes.

Long story short - I sold the ak and had enough money for two rifles, so I got another ak (decided not to modify the old legend but get something american made as a platform), put a 3x scope on it and also a 308 ar (same rig basically). I had avoided anything built like an m16 since 1971 because every one I had in the army was a piece of crap.

I really still believe that it's better to build a rifle out of steel than aluminum, but I like the way my new AR operates (mostly). So, this might not be a popular opinion around here - no offense intended...

I do intend to keep my ar 308 and continue to shoot it and I will do anything I can (or can afford to) do to improve it - but I still shoot better with an AK.

One foot in both worlds :)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. 

Feel free to tell us about yourself in the new member forum.  If you are having problems with your rifle(s), start a thread about it and some of these guys can usually talk you through getting it running well.

• 2 weeks later...

After building over a dozen AR 15's for myself I kind of got a little bored with building them so after shooting my AR 10 (genuine AR 10-A2) one day I decided to try my hand at building one so I am a 308 AR (PA 10), kinda sorta an A4 style.

Steve......

Edited by se3388

• 1 month later...

New to the forum, but great question with one answer for me: I couldn't afford an M110 or M110A1, so I bought the DPMS G2. I did not like the performance of the M4 (or any 5.56) in theater. The G2 is not as heavy as people complain. The front 4-rail (4 rail?!) will have to go for a lighter single rail. The G2 is, IMO, a good sub-MOA rifle. I have the true multi-caliber option of .308 and 7.62x51 NATO (that's important when SHTF...same reason 5.56x45).

1 hour ago, ImpliedConsent said:

New to the forum, but great question with one answer for me: I couldn't afford an M110 or M110A1, so I bought the DPMS G2. I did not like the performance of the M4 (or any 5.56) in theater. The G2 is not as heavy as people complain. The front 4-rail (4 rail?!) will have to go for a lighter single rail. The G2 is, IMO, a good sub-MOA rifle. I have the true multi-caliber option of .308 and 7.62x51 NATO (that's important when SHTF...same reason 5.56x45).

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Thank you for your service. 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, longfisher said:

70's era Marine trained on M14 and loved it, but for the maintenance it required.  M16 never seemed more than just a toy.

Lots of time and distance between then and now, but, can't shake the caliber...it's in my head and bones.

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

In 2012 I was at Ft. Rucker, Alabama for training and was looking for places to shoot. There is a gun store in Daleville called Ordnance Depot. They have a 25 yard range in the store and you could rent any handgun you wanted to try off their wall to shoot there. They had all kinds of things in the store including DPMS 308 complete lowers and an AR57 upper. It was the first time I saw either of them. I started reading up on the AR 308 and AR57, I read everything I could find on them. I decided I should buy both and that was pretty much the end of it all. I spent a lot of time and money there. Probably more than I should have but, that is another story. My first AR 308 lower was mated with a DPMS 18” SASS upper which I got at midway for 1500 bucks. I built a 2nd DPMS AR 308 with a 16 inch upper and gave it to my son. I have gone on to build several more AR 308s all with 20 inch or longer barrels. My daughter claimed the AR57 which is a sweet gun to shoot and a lot of fun to boot.

Edited by dsdmmat