• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

On 3/11/2018 at 11:08 PM, forrestcav said:

Dad Decided he didn't want his dpms lr308 ap4 and wanted my m1a instead, so we swapped. He carried an m14 for 4 years in The Corps and was very familiar with it operation. I had already made upgrades on both rifles. Now i'll concentrate on building the ar. 

Plus I was raised on the big hole theory of.308 and 45acp. lol

Similar situation here. IMO it doesn’t get much better than an M1A, and a walnut stock is just icing on the cake. That said, I opted against 2 M1As in the family, and instead of tinkering with my DDM4, I decided to build a 308. It just checks all the boxes at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old age! OK maybe not THAT old, I'm in my 40's but when I was younger I shot 2 and 3-gun matches and as the years wear on I find myself doing that less and doing more and more long-range slow shooting.

Since that requires less money for ammo, I bought an AR-10 in 308 and a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Stupid reason but here I am! 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking about getting a .308 AR for a while. Saw the desert tiger builder set at Aero Precision and "pulled the trigger."

I also wanted to get one into the safe before next year. I'm sure the clown patrol in Sacramento is going to come up with a whole bunch of new infringements next year.

And I find bolt guns kind of boring...

1 minute ago, wurger said:

I've been thinking about getting a .308 AR for a while. Saw the desert tiger builder set at Aero Precision and "pulled the trigger."

I also wanted to get one into the safe before next year. I'm sure the clown patrol in Sacramento is going to come up with a whole bunch of new infringements next year.

And I find bolt guns kind of boring...

Those are nice looking sets!  I look forward to your build thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Always been a fan of the AR platform. A lifetime of carrying one in the Army gave me a very good familiarity with it, but the layout of the gun just feels right. Everything is where it should be. The .308 is a great round, so it makes since to combine the two. Now older, retired, and partly crippled, I find the recoil from my .308 bolt guns a bit much. The semi-auto system of the AR softens the recoil of the .308, I still have the hard hitting round, and all the other benefits of the AR platform. The modern parts make putting together a dependable, accurate gun a less daunting task. The only confusing thing is the different patters of the .308 makers...  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 4EA said:

My interest in this platform was simply variety.  why stick with one or two types of firearms when you can buy multiple types

I'm the same way but my downfall is I'm OCD about being able to reload for everything I have. You know what a full conversion costs for a Dillon 550B?:embarrassed:

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

I'm the same way but my downfall is I'm OCD about being able to reload for everything I have. You know what a full conversion costs for a Dillon 550B?:embarrassed:

Usually the guys rich enough to own one of those don't bat an eye at a whole new setup...

wait. You won it in a raffle....didn't you?

Edited by DNP

11 hours ago, DNP said:

Usually the guys rich enough to own one of those don't bat an eye at a whole new setup...

wait. You won it in a raffle....didn't you?

No, actually my wife and my oldest son bought it for me for my birthday back around 25 years ago! I guess that's kind of like winning it in a raffle!:laffs:

20 hours ago, 392heminut said:

I hear ya man, im OCD in my own ways as well.

if youre gonna do something, it should be done 100% correctly

why did i switch to .308?

Well bout a year'n a half ago bought my first gun AR15. Sold it after a few months and built a 6.5 Grendel. Same thing pop, pop, pop all day long but not much fun. Super accurate though!. Sold it and tried a few hand guns, last one being a Glock G40 MOS. Again not much fun. Sold it and bought a used PA10 about 6mos ago and fkn love the thing!

Bang, Bang, Bang, nice. Just wish manufactures would all get together and figure out a standard we can all live with.

When I got to my first unit in the Army I did some land nav and went to the range with a sniper platoon. I wasn't a gun person before the military. These guys had decked out m110s and the only rifles I had seen before were the m16 and m4. We went out in pairs on this 3 hour land nav course, there was lots to talk about. My partner was telling me about one of his deployments, how the Iraqis would get hit with 3-4 rounds from an m4 and keep shooting back. Well, when he takes a shot with the m110 they drop, period. Even with plate carriers, there is so much more force behind the round they might not be dead, but they are out of the fight. I've been hooked on the .308 ever since.

29 minutes ago, WGxCopy said:

When I got to my first unit in the Army I did some land nav and went to the range with a sniper platoon. I wasn't a gun person before the military. These guys had decked out m110s and the only rifles I had seen before were the m16 and m4. We went out in pairs on this 3 hour land nav course, there was lots to talk about. My partner was telling me about one of his deployments, how the Iraqis would get hit with 3-4 rounds from an m4 and keep shooting back. Well, when he takes a shot with the m110 they drop, period. Even with plate carriers, there is so much more force behind the round they might not be dead, but they are out of the fight. I've been hooked on the .308 ever since.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A year ago I was walking through a gun show with my son and he asked if we could build a gun together.  Of course I jumped on this opportunity to do this with him, and after looking at different weapons for the next couple of hours.  He decided he wanted to build an AR10, and I had always wanted to anyway. A year later we put the scope on two days ago and are ready to take it to the range once I get some ammo.

4ewMetuQSq+J1EEAMftv5g.jpg

• 1 month later...

why? I say why not?...actually its my 4th ar. 3 in ar15 platform with two of those shooting 30 cal ammo. 1 is 30 rem ar and the other is 300 black out . Love all 3 but just wanted a bit mmore bang plus new to me hunting land is offering up tom 600 yard shots and none of the above fit the bill. So I went shopping and found my 308. Love it and may also get a complete upper in another caliber, Thinking 6.5. Who knows