• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

That's a nice looking rifle.  I finally got all of the drool cleaned up from looking at your other pictures so I could post again.

You sure that was drool?...   :lmao:

You walked right into that one...   :banana:

I might be able to get into some hog hunting here in Okie, with some distance opportunities. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Ruger RPR in .308 and my buddy who's the hog hunter said nuh uh. When they decide to charge you cannot run that bolt gun fast enough. Fair enough says I. I wanted to stay with the .308 and the AR platform just simply makes sense considering the conditions. Palmetto prices kind of make it a no brainer, even if I have to replace a few things to get it right. Considering a different caliber upper in my AR-15 as well, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Long Story to “coming home” with the AR10

It started with tales my uncle told from being an Army Ranger in Vietnam he derided the AR15 as Made by Mattel garbage. He carried a “confiscated AK47” and a M79 for his time there. So when I went off to serve after 9/11 when the Drill SGT held up the M16 asking what it was I stated “an over priced woodchuck gun.” Paid for that. Carried many variants while serving eventually was a DM in Afghanistan got an accurized M14 that was dragged out of some back room. Loved it... well at first. Thing couldn’t handle the rough terrain and rough handling. Kept going “out of spec” frustration ensued the rifle would go from sub moa tack driver to 6-8 moa POS after the slightest fall or rough use. Back to 3rd shop she would go and out came my annoying yet always reliable and dead nut accurate AR DMR (a pieced together MK12 MOD 0). By the end of my 18 month tour it had me re-evaluating what I thought I knew. The MK12 I could grab it by the barrel and bludgeon something to death with it and it still held Sub MOA. I just didn’t like the 5.56 fodder. But all the AR10s I saw weighed in the 9-10lb class empty.

Once out of the service I was still bit hard by the bullpup bug. Handled quite a few while in the Army and loved the characteristics. Once KelTec released their RFB in the real cartridge (.308) I was smitten. Ran it for a while putting through its paces and the thing ran like a top! Only real complaint was it was 1.5-2 MOA rifle a solid Meh. Then it had a catastrophic failure and almost a year to get it back from KT couldn’t trust it after that. Also got a new LE job that let you carry any AR you wanted (as long as it was 5.56). So I built and ran dozens until I had 2 that worked for 90% of my applications.

And that’s where the story would have ended until two things happened: 1) Policy changed allowing for .308 and 2) Desert Tech announced the MDR. I instantly jumped on the group buy and was all in. Then waited and waited and waited. Finally I had enough of DTs shenanigans and pulled my money. Also AR10s were now way lighter. I almost bit the bullet on a POF Revolution Warhog but then decided to build my own based on a 2A Xanthos receiver and Brownells newly released Titanium BCG. A dream build followed now I have a rocking AR10 that weighs a hair shy of 6 lbs naked!!! That is insane I would have gave my left testicle for a rifle like this in the service.

sorry for the novel but it’s taken me a decade to come home to the AR10.

3 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Welcome from Indiana brother and Thank you and your uncle for your service. 

Thanks sadly Uncle passed a few years ago from Cancer caused by agent orange. I always appreciate those that thank and support the troops. I joined out of duty after 9/11. For me the pride in my nation and having served honorably in the greatest Army the world has ever seen is the greatest reward. 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

What bullpup rifles did you handle in the Army?...

Worked in Europe awhile and then ran across a lot of NATO forces and Contractors while in the Stans.

So Steyer AUG, FAMAS, FN2000 (Blackwater/ Xe),  L85, and the P90. I know this is counter to what a lot people say but the FAMAS was my favorite, it’s controlled cyclic rate is sick.

Welcome. Nice looking rifle. Mr. Stoner got it right. M14’s and M1A’s can sometimes be like a high maintanence girl friend. Demanding and you got to pay a lot of attention to them, but when they perform, they are enjoyable as hell. Find my AR10’s just as enjoyable, but a lot less demanding.

Edited by Sisco