• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Revolver help

blue109

I've had a lot of revolvers and my current favorite wheel gun is a Taurus .44 mag.  Fun, not self defense.  But I do enjoy wheel guns, always have.

Sometimes it's a physical limitation that makes the choice for you.  Due to physical limitations, and arthritis in her hands, wifey can't rack a slide and can't now deal with heavy recoil.  And she is never going to love shooting, either.  But she will defend herself or the family.  Has done it with a Blackhawk .357 magnum, many years ago.  (home break-in - end result, didn't need to pull the trigger).  Her current go-to is a Ruger SP101 in .32 Fed Mag.  She can shoot that double or single action, can hit a target up close.  It's the best we're gonna do.  Cool part is we can drop down to .32 H&R mag, and for range work, down to .32 S&W Long.

Around home, of course, there are other options....

6 hours ago, slugger43 said:

Sometimes it's a physical limitation that makes the choice for you.

Truth.

We've had lots of students who couldn't do lots of our standard training due to physical limitations, arthritis being the largest contributor and body-parts replacement coming in second place.

Coupled with trouble racking a slide is the pain from recoil due to arthritis.

My wife's arthritis took her the opposite direction, she tried an old S&W 36 that had been smoothed up but just couldn't make the double action work for her. She ended up with a P226 and can make the DA on it work. Her mechanics are pretty unorthodox, she can't bend her right trigger finger, among others, so she pulls the trigger with her left finger. It was a rough start but after lots of trial and error practice she can keep a 15 round string on a 10 inch plate at 15 yards now. Two or maybe three mags and she has had enough but she has made weekly range trips a religion.:thumbup:

I have come to the conclusion of saying to a new shooter "If the handgun isn't comfortable in the hand, then find another one, because if the comfort factor isn't there (gun/hand fitting correctly) then the recoil is going to be a problem more than anything." 

Proved correct on that one again with my wife.  She could NOT make her 1911's work for herself, no matter what we tried to do for with the manual of arms; she was flawless with shooting them for years.  Stepped into revolvers, and she could shoot them, but recoil was always an issue. At a range play day, I finally got her to shoot my SAR B6P (CZ75 clone), and she loved it!  She could reooad, function slide, recoil was no problem, and it fit her hand comfortably.   Problem solved, her S&W 19 went down the road for another CZ clone, and she is happy now.

9 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Love those CZ 75 clones ! ?

This is my first CZ Clone, I have used an original CZ 9mm, This one is a EAA Witness Compac .40 S&W I bought new in the box for a good price.

There is a bit of a bad luck story that goes with it. It was shipped with the wrong recoil spring setup. The factory switched over to a dual recoil spring system and my pistol had a spring so long it wouldn't allow the slide to open enough to chamber a round.  No body at the distributorship knew about the new system. I found a older Witness guru on a CZ forum that said start cutting the springs, I did until I could open the slide 1/16 of an inch past where the slide lock would latch, and polished up the slide and frame Hammer. It works now, I need to break it in before I can use as a daily concealed carry piece.2-EA999098.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

On 09/12/2016 at 10:52 PM, mrmackc said:

This is my first CZ Clone, I have used an original CZ 9mm, This one is a EAA Witness Compac .40 S&W I bought new in the box for a good price.

There is a bit of a bad luck story that goes with it. It was shipped with the wrong recoil spring setup. The factory switched over to a dual recoil spring system and my pistol had a spring so long it wouldn't allow the slide to open enough to chamber a round.  No body at the distributorship knew about the new system. I found a older Witness guru on a CZ forum that said start cutting the springs, I did until I could open the slide 1/16 of an inch past where the slide lock would latch, and polished up the slide and frame Hammer. It works now, I need to break it in before I can use as a daily concealed carry piece.2-EA999098.jpg

That should almost be good to go out of the box, but I read your story. Now all you need is a couple hundred rounds to make sure it bangs every time you pull the bangswitch.....

My B6P was excellent out of the box!  800 rounds downrange without a FTF that wasn't attributable to a specific load/boolit type I had problems with. Those loads are a memory now, and no failures at all.

• 2 months later...

I have a brace of 66es and love em. Definitely my go to handguns.

That said the EAA Witness is on the "well maybe I'll buy it one day" list. They made a .38 Super version in polymer at a point, I think that would be interesting in a carry gun. The .357 Sig seems like a compromise to me and I like the idea I can reload the Super easier since it's not a bottle necked case.

Edited by Mr_Roboto

• 4 months later...