• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix .338 Federal Pig Puncher

98Z5V

Let's let this one rolling, men!

Let's get some input on the completion - make recommendations to help my decision-making process along, and help me pick some parts to finish this beast.

Here's where I sit now - stripped upper and lower is Matrix Aerospace, as well as the 11.5" rail - all from Chris Reideman at Central Florida Firearms.  You rock, brother.  <thumbsup>

P1040379_zps7u9bcnlk.jpg

This won't be a fast build - gonna be another 2 months, or around there.  I receive the new D.Wilson Mfg complete BCG on Monday, and I'll strip down the bolt and send it to X-Caliber Barrel & Manufacturing for the barrel construction. 

http://x-caliber.net/main/xcal-page.asp?p=1 

I'm having them make a 14.5" .338 Federal barrel with an AR15 midlength gas system length.  It will be pinned with a muzzle brake to get to the 16" minimum legal length.  I picked up the brake last week, and had it bored for .338.

Now, decisions, decisions, decisions...  Fire off recommendations for barrel profile.  The intent for this rifle is punching pigs in Tejas.  I'll walk with it, sit with it, lay prone with it, whatever.  I don't foresee shooting a pig beyond 300 yards, so that's the reason for the shorter barrel - as well as weight of a shorter barrel.  I'm torn between Govt profile, medium contour, etc.  Not having a lightweight profile barrel made, though.

Optics - recommendations, gents.  I'll honestly need to see what the accuracy is at 100, 200, and 300 yards before I make a permanent decision, but I'm all ears for whatever you suggest.

Trigger, charging handle, etc. All finishing parts, as well as iron sights.  It'll have a collapsible stock on it, with Armalite AR10 receiver extension, but I don't have a decision on the buttstock yet. 

Let's get it on!  Here's 20 rounds of Federal Fusion 200-grain loaded up in a Pmag, to get the juices flowing:

P1040380_zpsr1p45lhk.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember the acronym but X-Caliber has what they said was a "lighter" medium contour, T-something-something, I ordered it but didn't write that part down.

They don't have it listed on the website but I heard Justin describing a "diamond pattern" fluting that saved lots of weight while keeping the stiffness, sounded expensive so I didn't enquire further.

The more I see of it the more I'm thinking I should order the Matrix rail from Chris.........

I'm loving my two Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5 scopes. The BTR-2 has a fast acquisition, mil ranging capability, and a nice precision dot inside the big red circle. And best of all I know they will take a good blow after having one hit the dash in a car wreck with no issue incurred.

post-12531-0-60312800-1437942326_thumb.j

I've seen many a pig hunt in Tx (via YouTube). But most success was at night? Are you limited to one pig or on a private ranch that maybe a thermal rig might be usefull in front of a ? They are getting resonably priced in the last few years!

Just working on your open credit line :)

I wouldn't waste a bunch of time ordering a custom .338Fed bbl... find the barrel you want in a common .308Win and then have it bored out to .338Fed.

A Faxon or Criterion could be bought now, sent to a guy like Randall at ar15barrels.Com and be back in your hands within days.

I'll order and wait - price is $225 for the product - can't beat that with a stick.  I think it'll be worth the wait, which is quite short honestly.  Gives me the time to gather the rest of the parts, you pushy bastards.  :fawkdance:

Okay, recommendations for:

Trigger

Stock

Thinking about MBus Pro sights

Charging Handle (MechArmor, probably)

Give me your thoughts, fellas.

I wouldn't waste a bunch of time ordering a custom .338Fed bbl... find the barrel you want in a common .308Win and then have it bored out to .338Fed.

A Faxon or Criterion could be bought now, sent to a guy like Randall at ar15barrels.Com and be back in your hands within days.

I ordered a 16" AP4 308 from Chris along with the upper/lower/rail, I hadn't thought about the 338 federal. I wonder who I could sell that off to for cash for the federal

Edited by EasyEJL

Got the MagPul pro sight's,it's nice not to need a tool to adjust front sight.Put them on the M5.

I also used the Magpul pro sights on my M5 build. I really like them: positive locking into place, no need for tool to adjust them, solid construction. Although I still like the KAC 200-600 sight set most of all.

I'll order and wait - price is $225 for the product - can't beat that with a stick.  I think it'll be worth the wait, which is quite short honestly.  Gives me the time to gather the rest of the parts, you pushy bastards.  :fawkdance:

Okay, recommendations for:

Trigger  (MechArmor )

Stock    

Thinking about MBus Pro sights  ( MechArmor BUIS )

Charging Handle (MechArmor, probably)

Give me your thoughts, fellas.

You had to ask ? <dontknow>  <thumbsup>

That's probably where I'm leaning - charging handle, yes.  Sights, prob.  Trigger, I was looking for a 2-stage. There's no reason in the world I can't use the Mech trigger - if I really want a 2-stage after that, the Mech trig can definitely go into another rifle, no issues there. 

I'm up in the air on the stock - I've got about every MagPul made, but i haven't tried the MOE SL stock yet.  Looking at it for that very reason.  Just don't know.  <dontknow>

I have no problem with a two stage , I'm actually a convert , I was single stage all the way until I hung around you guys here, but find the MechArmor a faster trigger & if its for Hogs , sometimes speed is a good thing , I can see the 338 Fed as a one shot stopper , but with hogs , you never know , even the small ones sometimes , but then again , you can take some distance shots also . Hard choice .

I had to look up that MOE SL stock , nice stock . <thumbsup>

You know , I hear all you guys wanting short bbl's with pined muzzle devices & I always think about what I find when I remove & clean under them & I just can't bring myself to have something that can build up so much crap under it & have it non-removable or hard to remove . For just two inches  <laughs>

post-11255-0-07606600-1438279455_thumb.j