• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JT's Matrix Build

jtallen83

JT how much does the complete rig weigh ?

And no its not a BS question. I have one that is similar with a different buttstock.

11 3/4 pounds as it sits in the picture, p-mag is empty. Still need to add BUIS but no room till I swap scopes. Swapping the Primary Arms scope for the Bushnell 1-6.5X and BUIS should be a wash on the weight. Guess I could go all breastroker on it and ditch the grip panels, rail sections, and hand stop but it would still be over 11 pounds, not that it matters to me....I won't be running with it.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Key hole round might have been a bad Bullet or it could have been damaged while feeding into the chamber . Hard to tell .   

Who made your Bolt, could be a over sized Firing Pint Hole , the GII's all do it .

Have to remember that with building a rifle from different Manufacturers Parts , that, they may take a while to settle in. Unlike a Manufactured rifle where all their parts are designed to be mass produced with their components that have been tested to make them easily mass produced by normal factory type workers with out a Gunsmithing back ground . 

• 4 months later...

Got a chance to shoot the rifle from a real bench this morning, they have had two IBS national championships held here in Ashe county (2014 and 15) so it is a nice setup. Tried several different factory rounds, Outback with a 150 gr. Swift, Silver State 168 gr. match, PPU 168 gr. match, American Eagle M1A 168 gr. and then FGMM 7.62 175 gr. The FGMM shot the best, 1 MOA at 100 yards. The Outback 150 gr. did well also, posted info in the ammunition section on that. It was 40 degrees, no wind but a heavy rain so conditions were not great but I had the place to myself all morning. Used my Bushnell 1-6.5X so not exactly a target scope but got the group below at 200 yards, 5 rounds adjusting the scope between shots then let 10 go as fast as I could get back on target, gives me about 2.5 MOA 10 round group. With some patience I should be able to cut that down a bit but I was happy not to see the verticle stringing I had been seeing, guess most of that was the uncomfortable shooting position on the home range. I'm hoping for some better conditions soon so I can see what it looks like at 300 yards. I'm halfway there on the funding for a Bushnell 3.5-21X ERS, I hope to get some 1 MOA 10 round groups with that. Feels great to to be slinging some lead again!

56edaf6190ac4_GetAttachment(3).jpg.b0dae

I shot two five round groups of each,both were right about 1.5 MOA at 100 yards, I'll try them at 200 on a nicer day. They had about the same POI while the AE 168 load was 4-5 inches lower and about 2 MOA. It was raining like a horse pissing on a flat rock so I'm sure all will do better. Seems odd but the build appears to like the heavier and lighter bullet weights over the 168's. Likes the 130gr Mk319 and the 175's.

Nice shooting. I hope yours was doing better than mine. Anytime Is a good time to get out and sling lead.

It was 38 degrees with a 5MPH wind here today. I was sighting in my Matrix today as well. I just have iron sights on it and since it was short stroking I only fired it at 25 and 200 yards. It is about 2 1/2 inches low at 25 and about 3 inches high at 200 ( well that is where it was hitting as I put the front sight in the middle of the paper). I should have used black targets on white paper instead of orange but you use what you got right? 

• 5 weeks later...

Stretched it out to 300 yards today,this 2 3/4 inch 3 round group was my first of the day just to see if I was on paper using the a 12 inch drop from my 2 inch high 200 yd zero with XM118LR. It ended up the best with my 5 round groups running between 6 and 7 inches. Seems like I always throw the last round, my eyes start to blur out on me trying to get them to focus. Can't get myself to wait long between shots, gotta get them downrange like I mean it. The tiny little dot on the BTR reticle pretty much covers the head on the target at 300 yards. I'm thinking the 6.5 magnification is holding the rifle back at this point. Looking like the X-caliber barrel is working fine, I'm not seeing the stringing I was blaming on heat earlier. Now I have to make a choice, new scope or a can......which do I want first, odds are the scope will win out but I haven't been home since the LGS started stocking cans...............

7.62 300.jpg

7 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Damn good shootin @ 300 yrds. even 200 yrds.I tried Vortex 1X6 and for my eyes would be hard pressed past 100 yrds.I'd be minute of man but no target shooter.

Like I said , that was as good as it got, the rest were more like the one below at 6 1/2 inches. I'm a M.O.M. shooter as far as the goal goes, hence the silhouette targets. I read about an eyepiece that goes on the scope and lets your eyes focus on the reticle. They use your bifocal prescription but it is almost $300 bucks and they didn't discuss what that would do for the focus on the target. Many recommend eyeglasses with a bifocal grind in the upper corner of your shooting eye but then recommend a both eyes open in order to have focus on then target, that leads me to believe the target would be out of focus with the scope eyepiece.

300 yards with XM118LR, I was holding too high for this smaller silhouette, nice group, if I throw out the last two shots......;

7.62 300yd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Working on a trust right now, only hang up so far is my little brother is deployed to Afghanistan right now and it looks like he may need to do his paperwork at his local courthouse per his state regs. I may have to proceed without him and try to get him added later....legal mumbo jumbo gives me high blood pressure.

11 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Working on a trust right now, only hang up so far is my little brother is deployed to Afghanistan right now and it looks like he may need to do his paperwork at his local courthouse per his state regs. I may have to proceed without him and try to get him added later....legal mumbo jumbo gives me high blood pressure.

I've been considering starting a trust how's all that work if you don't mind me asking. Do I need to get a lawyer and all  for that?

3 hours ago, BlazenT45 said:

I've been considering starting a trust how's all that work if you don't mind me asking. Do I need to get a lawyer and all  for that?

Far be it for me to give legal advice but I'm going with Silencer Shop, they were heavily involved in getting Iowa back into legal silencers. For now it looks pretty simple but there are lots of little details that vary state to state. Another reason I went with them is the 30 day money-back guarantee just in case it doesn't work out. The federal rules will be changing in July. 

• 1 year later...

So I've been struggling to get some consistency from this build. If I go real slow letting everything cool real well I can get some decent groups but allow a little heat and it starts throwing them all different ways. I was attempting to run a test on my scope today but called it off due to this issue. Went home and decided to break it down and see what I could find. Since I had the barrel off I chucked up the receiver lapping tool and gave it a spin. After a quick spin I pulled it out and inspected, it had only shined up maybe 2/3's the way around the face on the receiver extension and that portion was not very even. I continued to lap, clean, and inspect until it had an even shine all the way around. I reinstalled the barrel using loctite 609 retaining compound around the barrel extension. I'm hoping this will show a little improvement in the heat issue.

10 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

So I've been struggling to get some consistency from this build. If I go real slow letting everything cool real well I can get some decent groups but allow a little heat and it starts throwing them all different ways. I was attempting to run a test on my scope today but called it off due to this issue. Went home and decided to break it down and see what I could find. Since I had the barrel off I chucked up the receiver lapping tool and gave it a spin. After a quick spin I pulled it out and inspected, it had only shined up maybe 2/3's the way around the face on the receiver extension and that portion was not very even. I continued to lap, clean, and inspect until it had an even shine all the way around. I reinstalled the barrel using loctite 609 retaining compound around the barrel extension. I'm hoping this will show a little improvement in the heat issue.

Your on the right track , if you don't have good contact at the Barrel Extension Flange & Upper Receiver , heat may well cause it to print funny . I lap all my upper Receivers , Have been doing it that way since I started building AR's . The Loctite is also a good idea  from Criterion Barrels , that I have started doing lately also .

The only issue I have with the Lapping tool is , that there is absolutely no way you can keep Lapping compound out of the Upper Receivers Barrel socket . While Lapping the Flange face , some Compound will be pushed in the Upper Receiver & also Lapping that area .  but the Loctite should fill & secure it , if any fitment issue .

Edit , It could also be the Barrel itself.

Edited by survivalshop