• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Canning anyone??

shepp

Anyone else can? It's somthing my mom taught me and oddly I'm being requested by many others to teach them. This past week my tomato plants exploded with ripe tomatos, so I started with salsa today. I did just a shade under 8 Qt of salsa and still have a ton of tomatoes. Earlier this week I did 6 pints of salsa verde, and I'm guessing in a few days I'll be canning straight tomatoes.

in the past I've done peaches, peach "BBQ" sauce, green beans, hot dilly beans, apple sauce, venison and pickled fish. 

PS no I didn't glue them to the wall I know magic ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mom is big into canning. It's on my "to learn list". Just haven't gotten around to making the time to learn it yet.

it's super easy and fairly cheap to water bath can, my problem is I give my poop away and seldemly get my jars back. You can water bath can hi acidity foods and jams and jellies,you have to pressure cook everything else. I pressure cook the beans and venison. 

if your looking to get into canning check this book out between it and Google your set

image.jpg

it's super easy and fairly cheap to water bath can, my problem is I give my poop away and seldemly get my jars back. You can water bath can hi acidity foods and jams and jellies,you have to pressure cook everything else. I pressure cook the beans and venison. 

if your looking to get into canning check this book out between it and Google your set

Hit a few old school country auctions, I always see boxes of jars going for a buck or two a box, nobody seems to want them anymore.

Hit a few old school country auctions, I always see boxes of jars going for a buck or two a box, nobody seems to want them anymore.

that's a good idea buying new has its pluses, they're new lol. I have some old blue mason jars those don't get sent out, also some that were my grandmothers. I was in farm and fleet (like tractor supply but 300 times better) and caught them on sale 6.99 a dozen for pints, 7.99 for a dozen QT. walked outta there with 7 dozen jars lol

Jars are pretty cheap, and you have to be very careful with old second hand jars, make sure to inspect them closely as you don't want them to go in the caner, or find out 2 years from now (during the collapse) when you go to get that delicious jar of "____" off the shelf only to find that it is spoiled from a hairline crack in the old jar. ;-)

Not that I haven't picked up my share, just look em over closely.

Jars are pretty cheap, and you have to be very careful with old second hand jars, make sure to inspect them closely as you don't want them to go in the caner, or find out 2 years from now (during the collapse) when you go to get that delicious jar of "____" off the shelf only to find that it is spoiled from a hairline crack in the old jar. ;-)

Not that I haven't picked up my share, just look em over closely.

normally faulty ones like that expolode in the canner. bigger thing is watching for chipped rims. Honestly I've never found one "with a science experiment inside" as a buddy would say. 

Flyer I've gotten them at ace too they normally have a good sale this time of year too. Honestly Walmart has a fairly good selection of canning goods. 

Instead of giving stuff away I need to start selling it lol, normally it's to family I don't see all the time.........

I have not found any bad jars either, (knock on wood) but it happens, and yes bad rims and seals are the biggest issue for sure.

Please if you are interested in canning take the time to watch this video. It is Wendy DeWitt and she has an excellent program for canning and food storage.

Be forewarned she is a Mormon and this contains some references to that effect.

However the information is incredibly valuable!

ENJOY!!!

image.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I just put that book on my wishlist on Amazon.com. That reminds me of things to get to.

We can almost everything here beans,tomatoes,salmon, deer ,elk all sorts of stews and chilly, peaches pears, Okra,  pickles, all sorts of jams it is the only way to get good food these days...

ain't that the truth, one of the many reasons I do it, you know EXACTLY what's in it. I just need a bigger garden!!

I got canned once by a farmer. He didn't like the way I was irrigating his cotton.  I was 15 and didn't like the job anyway and got a job on manual feed, 4 man crew  Farmall hay baler crew, punching wires for $0.60 per hour the second week I got promoted to tractor driver@ $0.65 per hour.  

I used my first check to buy a used Stevens single shot ..410 and a box of shells.

Edited by mrmackc

sorry folks that was the wrong kind of canning.  We do a lot of freezing of fruits. My mom and aunts and grandma did a lot of canning. They even did Sauerkraut. I still remember the smell.

mmmmm there's nothing like home made kraut!!! I'd really like to do some.

tomatos got away from me some I'm canning 6qt of straight tomatos right now, awesome for chili and stew this winter. 

Pressure cooker canned salmon, and venison canned in its own gravy. Damn, I am drooling!

I've never canned salmon I know magwa does. I do can venison and yes it's soooooo good. I usually brown it quick then use the Brownings to make a packing liquid with onion soup mix and some beef base. 

First time I made it my gf told me after seeing a jar of it she wouldn't eat it, I cooked some up shortly after and forced her to eat it............now he asks for it. 

A neighbor would spend several weeks salmom fishing on a lake in SW Colorado. Every day after he limited out he cleaned and canned his catch. . He would give us several pints. It was great with crackers and a cold beer for a noon snack at the deer lease

Salmon is easy fillet, skin, and cut into 1 inch chunks fill pint jars up to 1/2 inch below jar mouth wipe rim clean,add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt put lids on and pressure cook for 110 min at 10 lbs  pressure may bea bit different at different altitudes but that is it.... now you can add liquid smoke, or lemon pepper 1 teaspoon per pint or any other flavor you might fancy, we make salmon patty's, dips  sandwich spread etc or just eat it plain with crackers....

We can almost everything here beans,tomatoes,salmon, deer ,elk all sorts of stews and chilly, peaches pears, Okra,  pickles, all sorts of jams it is the only way to get good food these days...

I'm sure it's good, but canned elk just sounds strange.

We can a lot of tomato sauce. Make up a BIG pot of spicey sauce and put it in quart jars. Great pasta topping at a moments notice.