• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FNX45

Sisco

It came today. I had to really search to get the Black Slide/Black Frame model, as FNH now only has the FDE/Black and the Black/Stainless steel slide combination. My initial impression is this thing is a beast! Not Desert Eagle size, but No CC unless your 6'6" and 300 pounds. I have size XXXL hands, and this pistol fit them like a glove. It comes with three different width backstraps to tailor the fit. Interesting that it has a safety AND a decocker. So you can carry it cocked and locked ala 1911, or decock and carry it hammer down like a Sig Sauer. Your choice. Weighs 33 pz empty, As the magazine holds 15 45 acp, it will be a load. It comes with 3 magazines. I will be trying to get it out to the range next week to give a full report.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. I have a set of Ameriglo Tritium night sights on order for it as well as a Blade Tec FNX pistol pac. That includes a Kydex Holster that can be used either as a paddle holster or a belt holster, along with a twin magazine carrier with the same ability. I will try to do a report on all three.

Good looking rig.

Is that a full size pistol? They seem pretty cool, don't those come stock  with a threaded barrel?

I used to carry 1911's, so after 8 years of carrying a G19 and G23 I figured when I bought a G21 lugging a full sized heavy piece around would be no biggie, and I am one of those 6'3" 240 lbs guys with big ass hands, but damn loaded that thing is a sledgehammer or a gun! Haha.

Makes a better nightstand drawer or truck gun than a carry option.

Gotta luv the good ole .45 ACP! Enjoy, and congrats!

Edited by GreyGoose

The tactical model comes with a 5.2 threaded barrel and night sights for an extra $500. I don't have a stamp application in for a supressor, so I am hoping FN will eventually offer the threaded barrel as an accessory if I decide to get a suppressor down the line. Problem is, the tactical model has real limited holster options right now.

I have the FNP45. It is the same size without the interchangeable back strap. I'm not 6'6" but I carry it concealed with a versacarry. I do wear my pants a little big so it will fit inside.

It is a great shooting gun as long as I do my part. Congrats on your addition to the family. 

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

Doc if that is your CC, At least I know your bringing enough gun to any altercation you may get into.

I never want to be outgunned if the need is there.  I like having 16 rounds without a mag change.

I find it amusing that I could carry this in CO but not my less-than-stellar Sigma 9mm because of the 16 round mag.

Damn Sisco!  You got some fucking PAWS on you, man!!!   lmao~!

The sights on that beast are setup for a dead hold at 25 yards.  Set several targets out there to get used to it, then rip the shiit outta something at 25, man. 

Check that out tomorrow, mine isn't a tactical but the frame should be the same.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/10/flexible-fnx-magwell/

never would have thought in a hundred years!

Some quick research. A lot of discussion about this on forums. A lot of individuals have shot theirs in the desert, left them on car dashboards in the sun and never had anything like this happen. One suggestion is that there are a lot of gases pushed back into the magwell when Osprey suppressors are used. Might be from the hot gases. Will do more investigation.

Edited by Sisco

Got to the range today for a little bit, so here are my impressions:

First, yes there is some flex in the grip when a magazine is removed. Not a lot at 80 degrees, but it is disconcerting if you are not used to it, which I wasn't. The reason for it, is I think FN has pushed the limits of what you can do to accommodate a 15 round 45 acp magazine and still have a grip that most people can grip comfortably. Something has to give when you use thinner polymers, and in this case it is torsional rigidity. It did not affect performance, and disappeared once a magazine was inserted.

Two: With an empty magazine it seems a little nose heavy. Once you put a loaded magazine in, it points naturally as pointing your finger. Nice job on the ergonomics, FN!

Three: Ammo digestion; It functioned flawlessly with everything I put through it, but accuracy wise it liked 230 gr bullets the best. The Remington Golden Sabre 185 gr Hollowpoints I put through it was the least accurate of any ammo I tried. Funny, the same holds true of my 1911's. 230 gr ball and JHP's  did quite well on accuracy. See pictures below.

Four: At 25 yards it shot slightly to the left. For me, this is normal for factory set sights. I took a nasty left hook to the eye in my boxing days that distorted the lens in my right eye and causes this. If my son shot it, it would be dead on. One reason I like adjustable sights.

Five: The good news, is that once I got used to it, it is accurate as all get out. In fact the pistol is capable of more accuracy than I am.

All in all I am very satisfied, especially once I get the sights replaced and/or adjusted.

My best groups are below.

first picture 230 gr.  FMJ generic.

second picture 230 grain  Remington JHP

Third picture 230 grain JHP Remington rapid aimed fire.

All shooting was seated off a rest.

All 25 yards. I need to get some more ammo! Shot everything I had!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Sisco

Bad photo, but the Kydex holster from Blade Tec fits very well and is very secure. I put on the paddle style backing and it is by far and away the most comfortable paddle I have ever used. The pistol does not seem that big or bulky with it. The magazines fit the mag holder very securely but I haven't put it on my belt yet. Decided to hold off on the tritium night sights. Might have a,gunsmith do those, haven't decided yet.

image.jpg

I will just go in and make love to my G21... that is fu*kin ridiculous!

tried to replicate the film, after shooting 2 and 1/2 boxes of ammo through mine, I left it on my black dashboard in the sun for an hour while I shot other stuff. Couldn't. There is a little grip flex, but not much. I take that film with a huge grain of salt. Good idea though about the love making, if the FNX makes love as well as it shoots, I am a lucky man.

Edited by Sisco

Damn Sisco!  You got some fucking PAWS on you, man!!!   lmao~!

The sights on that beast are setup for a dead hold at 25 yards.  Set several targets out there to get used to it, then rip the shiit outta something at 25, man. 

98; Part of the reason I like the FNX is the size of the grip. Below is my Sig SP2022 which is a large full size auto. The curse of big hands. My FNX for comparison.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have the fnx 45 tactical and love it. I also have the fnp-45 and cc it in a crossbreed with no problems, I am 5'11" and 200 pnds. The only issue I have is that the mags are not interchangeable. I have been thinking about selling my fnp and get a standard fnx as my ccw.

that would be a sweet set up with interchangeable mags. Have you had any issues with grip flex like in that video in this thread? Seems to be a bit controversial right now. 

I will just go in and make love to my G21... that is fu*kin ridiculous!

a little strange that he never fires the gun in the video. It shows him holding it then he starts playing with the grip. As I couldn't replicate it. I am somewhat suspicious if something else wasnt done to the firearm before the film. Any number of chemicals or heat treatments (microwaves, etc) could have been done to the frame to destroy its molecular integrity. So like I said, a very large grain of salt as to its authenticity.